6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Possibly dumb "noob" question, but asking anyway

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 07:31 PM
OneCylinder
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree it would be unusual for a standpipe O-ring to shut it down, but not unusual to keep it from starting.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:58 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Received 502 Likes on 359 Posts
Maam, that was about the limits of my "knowledge," to use the term loosely. I mess stuff up more than I get things fixed, although I eventually get my trucks working with lots of help from the guys here. I threw out the wiring theory because I had that issue, but I'll let the smart guys here add their insight. I would only add that, like good techs, they like to follow the "process" and will probably suggest other steps before focusing on chafed wires. I, on the other hand, cut corners a lot always looking to save time and money. I've lucked out a few times, didn't luck out more often, but I buy trucks real cheap and can afford to screw up now and then.

I vote for the BF with tools. The tech is a better investment if you are paying, but the BF might feel bad when he messes it up and pay for the tech to fix it. Plus, you got a boyfriend. Just go on any dating site and include a link to this thread in your profile. The guys will be beating down your door.

Old 07-11-2018, 05:11 PM
im235mm
New User
Me again, and I am furious. Still don’t have my truck back, the “mechanic” won’t return a call, I drove by this afternoon and it’s sitting outside, in the same place as 3 weeks ago, bed is full of trash (not mine) just as it was 3 weeks ago, obviously hasn’t been touched.

Supposedly needed: new FICM, new HPOP, new turbo?! Don’t believe that one caused the shutdown/no start. And it was pulling fine. Stand pipes, air filter, can’t recall what else because it’s been nearly 9 weeks.

Anyone in central Indiana want to bust some kneecaps? (I am kidding, mostly)

i believe the FICM, and possibly the HPOP, whatever about the filter, but this is totally ridiculous, right? New turbo? No turbo symptoms. Ugh. I hate being a woman, sometimes.

Old 07-11-2018, 05:39 PM
ToolmakerRob
Laughing Gas
Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts
im235mm-Don't give up. I know and many others will agree that it can be VERY frustrating at times. Sounds pretty incredible that you all of those parts at the same time so I don't have a lot of faith in that garage.

If I were in your shoes I would buy a good OBD II system like the others have mentioned here that can work off of your phone so you can see what is going on and relay this info to us. Also start looking at Youtube videos of DieseltechRon(RIP) as he was very informative. Do you have any tools or mechanical skills?

This is one of the better sites for support from other members.

Rob

Old 07-11-2018, 05:53 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,718 Posts
The 2006 HPOP is generally very reliable. Personally, I wouldn't pay for that to be done. Can you get it to another shop?

I have serious doubts as to the turbo really being bad also. The air filter will activate a light if it gets plugged (assuming the filterminder is plugged in and active). If you didn't get that light, then I wonder how he determined it was bad? Maybe a code, but you still should have seen the light.

As stated previously, the FICM could very well be the issue. If it is, the root cause could be bad batteries and/or a bad alternator. You need to nail that down.

It would be in your best interest to get a detailed list of everything that has been done so far. Post that list. Also, I would suggest posting what you have paid so far and the name/location of the shop.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:02 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,404 Posts
When a shop disrespectfully starts using a customers vehicle as a trash bin, things aren’t looking good.

Edit in switching devices.

Bought my truck new and every once in a while it would shut down completely making a hard right turn. Never could find the issue but I knew it was harness short related. Eventually a new harness was installed and never had the issue again.

Between the gauge issue and the shut down no start, I think it’s a harness issue. Turbo, HPOP, air filter .... to me it seems like throwing things at something you know nothing about. It’s possible there may be issues with those, but there should be a diagnostic trail of why.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:08 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Well said Jack.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:57 PM
im235mm
New User
Interesting, that’s two of you who mentioned the harness. Wouldn’t that be nice?

I will absolutely ask for a detailed list of what’s been done to date, and how he decided to do those items. I hate to admit it, but I believe he’s just throwing parts at it at this point. (Or not really, since it doesn’t look like it’s been touched in a long while).

Bismac because you asked, it’s at Haywood’s Auto in Cloverdale, IN. To date, I’ve given him $2k.

And no, I’m not super handy. I have no tools. I wear heels and work in an office. But, I’m teachable and willing to learn. I have used YouTube to fix some things. (I did get my truck’s 4x4 unstuck on my own!)

I think I will suck up the cost of the 60 minute tow and have my “real” mechanic come and get it. Breaking down out of town and hoping an acquaintance would treat me right was a huge mistake.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:58 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Originally Posted by im235mm
Me again, and I am furious. ......... I hate being a woman, sometimes.
I’m jumping around ‘cause I’m trying to deal with my freezing Mac again, but you’re not getting away with that.

My mother passed a few years back at 101. I now have the farm and go to the towns events. They still bring her up during committee meetings and when I have to go into the town hall. The women had no fear and no problem expressing herself and her opinions. I still remember her going to the state capital to talk to the governor because the state DOT didn’t do a good job on paving and curbing by her property and she wasn’t getting traction with talking to the local DOT office. I go to the post office and get told a story of when mail was improperly delivered. I can go anywhere in that town, and when someone learns who I am there is a story. When we took her to special diners in Berkeley Township where she taught just about every time someone would come up and thank her for helping them while a teacher, so it wasn’t all fire and fury, just fire.

So no, I don’t accept “being a woman” as an excuse.

Old 07-11-2018, 07:05 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
I always like to check the reviews on places:

https://www.google.com/search?q=hayw...d3670826fad1,1,,,

Old 07-11-2018, 07:10 PM
im235mm
New User
Originally Posted by bismic
I always like to check the reviews on places:

https://www.google.com/search?q=hayw...d3670826fad1,1,,,
Right? My mistake. I’ll be adding my two cents to yelp, Facebook, BBB, ripoff report, and anywhere else I can think of.

Old 07-11-2018, 07:12 PM
im235mm
New User
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.

I’m jumping around ‘cause I’m trying to deal with my freezing Mac again, but you’re not getting away with that.

My mother passed a few years back at 101. I now have the farm and go to the towns events. They still bring her up during committee meetings and when I have to go into the town hall. The women had no fear and no problem expressing herself and her opinions. I still remember her going to the state capital to talk to the governor because the state DOT didn’t do a good job on paving and curbing by her property and she wasn’t getting traction with talking to the local DOT office. I go to the post office and get told a story of when mail was improperly delivered. I can go anywhere in that town, and when someone learns who I am there is a story. When we took her to special diners in Berkeley Township where she taught just about every time someone would come up and thank her for helping them while a teacher, so it wasn’t all fire and fury, just fire.

So no, I don’t accept “being a woman” as an excuse.

Your mom sounds awesome. I accept your chastising.

Old 07-11-2018, 07:29 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Wasn't intended as hard chastising, but as stand your ground. It's your truck, they are working for you.

My wife and I haven't argued in 34 years. (I'd never win.)

Old 07-11-2018, 07:46 PM
ToolmakerRob
Laughing Gas
Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts
Jack stated it perfectly. Stand your ground. You are the customer and should be treated as such.

Rob

Old 07-12-2018, 07:10 PM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You've received loads of good info here already. I seriously doubt that your FICM *was* shot, but it may be now. If you have high-pressure oil system issues, though, it may be that the mechanic cranked on it long enough to draw the batteries down while hoping it would build enough oil pressure (you need 500psi) to start. It may also be that the mechanic neglected to pop the FICM relay out after doing the dummy plug, etc and he just cranked on it until it started - a big no,no.

Harness issues are very uncommon on an 06, as are high-pressure oil *pump* issues (the issues are commonly with the orings and fittings).

There are so many questions to ask now:

General
1. Is the truck throwing any codes?
2. If so, do these codes come back after they are cleared?
3. Has the alternator been pulled and bench tested?
4. Have the batteries passed a load test? What is the cold cranking amp rating that they each tested to?

Key On Engine Off:
1. What is the Injection Control Pressure voltage? (Should be 0)
2. What is the FICM Main Power? (should be between 45 and 50 volts)
3. Do the injectors buzz?
4. What is the Injection Pressure Regulator duty cycle? (should be 14.4 to 14.8)

During Cranking
1. What is the Injection Control Pressure voltage? Greater than one volt is what you want.
2. What is the FICM Main Power (FMP)? (should be between 45 and 50 volts?
4. What is the FMP during cranking?
5. What is the fuel pressure? (should be above 45psi)
6. Do you have cam sync? crank sync? FICM sync?
7. What is the Injection Pressure Regulator duty cycle? (could pop up to 84% or 85% for just a bit, but should settle down in the 40-50% range)
8. What is the engine cranking rpm?

Ironically, your SGII could tell you everything here with the exception of fuel pressure.

If you want to visit with us, we help troubleshoot issues every day. We are at 515-897-4459 and at FICMRepair.com - FORD Powerstroke 6.0 FICM Repair, PHP Tuning and Truck Parts. We do more than just FICMs, lol. We could actually supply any and all parts you might need to get you going again at incredibly competitive prices.

I hope this was of some assistance!

Quick Reply: Possibly dumb "noob" question, but asking anyway