6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Low Pressure Frame Rail Fuel Pump - Noisy shortly after filter change

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 08:04 AM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Low Pressure Frame Rail Fuel Pump - Noisy shortly after filter change

Just out of curiosity - has anyone else had an issue with their low pressure frame rail mounted fuel pump? I'm a bit over 151,000 miles, 2011 job 2. I have done fuel filters every 15,000 miles. This time less than 200 miles after the filter change the fuel pump started making a lot of noise, like a whining or slight grinding noise. Key on and the pump starts with a mild noise, engine cranked it ramps up. I assume this is two different flow rates as key on is just to keep a supply to the HPFP to start, then more flow is available once running.

Has anyone replaced this pump? How much of a PITA is it?

Old 05-22-2018, 08:31 AM
Iowa Ford
Post Fiend
Received 287 Likes on 132 Posts
Steve, It's just straight forward R&R.
I would be sure the O-ring didn't get rolled when you replaced the filter last time.
It's possible to have a suction leak and the truck will still start and run.
Also be sure its against the stop, and the bowl isn't cracked, and the drain plug O-ring's are in good shape.
I know you have done the filters plenty of times, but I would still double check the easy stuff first.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:37 AM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Filters were changed at the dealer and the pump wasn't making any noise until after some in town driving and a 100+ mile trip. So if it was something in the assembly of the filter components/housing after the replacement filter went in I would think it would be immediately noticeable - not after the mileage I drove? I could pull the filter again just to check though.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:43 AM
Iowa Ford
Post Fiend
Received 287 Likes on 132 Posts
Like I said, check the O- ring's. Big green one for bowl and 2 on the drain.
I f that's good and the bowl isn't cracked. You probably need a DFCM.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:01 PM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
I took the truck back to where I had it serviced. They were willing to look at it free of charge since it was just in. The same tech that did the work looked it over - young guy admittedly not a diesel tech. He was good to work with, though. I was with him in the shop looking it over - sure enough the seal was twisted and deformed. I treated the tech very well and we got along great. He admitted the screw up. I got a new seal installed - properly - and we bled the fuel system. There was a LOT of air in the low pressure side. It was just gurgling when we charged the system - no bueno. Once we had nice flow we put the lines back on and buttoned it up. The noise I heard was immediately gone. Easy fix. I don't think the tech will forget how to install a fuel filter on a 6.7 now. We had fun doing it, but the extra work still could have been prevented.

Crap happens. Accepting it and being a good sport over it goes a long way. I think the whole service department got a good vibe about the work. I just hope they didn't blast the tech over it after I left.

I had the service writer note the air entrainment in the fuel system. Whether or not it is warranted - my concern is the high pressure fuel pump. If there is air in the supply to the high pressure side that may be an issue. If the high pressure pump goes soon it is all documented in OASIS that the fuel system had air in it.

Old 05-23-2018, 10:48 AM
FrostyMug
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A very good video about this potential issue. All do it yourselfers and (quick service techs) should watch this and all the rest of the Tech Talk videos. BTW, this applies to 2010 - 2016 models years, I believe 2017 and above have a different setup.