1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

California Air Resource Board Requiring Me To Replace My Engine!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 02:39 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by SaintITC
I don't think you can change your GVWR - it's tied into your VIN and that little door sticker. Just like you can't delete your CAT (valve cover emission sticker; also tied to VIN), even here in PA on my 49 state CAT equipped e99, it can't go - now the insides might go away...
What is the skinny on this? My E99 came to me without a Cat and it's still that way. I am not subject to emissions inspections.

Old 05-22-2018, 03:52 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Neighbor who coached my daughter, got hit with this ..dumped his trucks and went gas...definitely hit'm good for awhile...

Old 05-23-2018, 04:11 AM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 785 Likes on 574 Posts
Originally Posted by brandon_oma#692
What is the gvwr for class A rv's typically? I wonder if they are exempt.
Yes they are. Can't PO the wealthy boomers ya know. Attached PDF shows a bunch of exemptions, mostly for industries who have lobbying $ucce$$ in Sacramento. That's how it is done now in CA; only the big players in politics have a say. Smaller businesses are just squeezed out by ever rising costs of operation. CA is losing its' grip on reality.

Maybe OP can register his rig as a honey transport (like honey bee honey, not porta john "honey") that's a valid AG exemption.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
tbfinalreg.pdf (258.7 KB, 33 views)
Old 05-23-2018, 05:16 AM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Do you have a trusted friend or relative living in another state?
Retitle, insure, and tag the truck, with their cooperation.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:49 AM
DogRidesInBack
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350
Yes they are. Can't PO the wealthy boomers ya know. Attached PDF shows a bunch of exemptions, mostly for industries who have lobbying $ucce$$ in Sacramento. That's how it is done now in CA; only the big players in politics have a say. Smaller businesses are just squeezed out by ever rising costs of operation. CA is losing its' grip on reality.

Maybe OP can register his rig as a honey transport (like honey bee honey, not porta john "honey") that's a valid AG exemption.
Thanks for finding that PDF. This truck would be exempt if it had a pick-up bed and was only used as a personal (non-commercial) vehicle.

Old 05-23-2018, 03:01 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,341 Likes on 1,749 Posts
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350
... exemptions, mostly for industries who have lobbying $ucce$$ in Sacramento. That's how it is done now in CA; only the big players in politics have a say. Smaller businesses are just squeezed out
Originally Posted by scottnofx
Has anyone come up with a reasonable solution to the CARB requirement? There is a current exemption if I choose to use the truck less than 5k a year; however, I just read that that exemption will be reduced to 1k in 2020 so it will not help me.
Not 2020. Now, in 2018. The Low Use exemption has been reduced back down to 1,000 miles in California per year effective two months ago, when the CARB lost their appeal of a court case brought on by the big player$ David described.

When the Final Regulation Order was initially drafted 10 years ago, and enacted 8 years ago, the Low Use Exemption was no more than 1,000 miles operated in state, and no more than 5,000 miles combined with travel in all other states. Then two things happened.... first, there was an outcry (many speakers at CARB meetings), and second, perhaps more significantly, the amount of enforcement and review staff required to prove or disprove in state and out of state miles by examination of fuel receipts etc was simply not possible to audit. So in 2014, the 1,000 mile in state, 5,000 mile out of state rule was relaxed to simply 5,000 miles any state, without the burden of proving in state or out of state miles. This made it possible for small businesses to continue to remain in business to make money to replace their trucks with less polluting models.

But it pi$$ed the big player$ David was talking about off. Why? Because the big player$... those operating fleets with 100's and 1,000's of trucks, had already made huge investments in accelerating fleet replacements to newer vehicles, and retrofitting their then current vehicles still in operation. And these fleets saw the relaxation of rules made 4 years after the rules went into effect as a slap in the face after they realigned their fleets for compliance. So big player$ sued the CARB for making it easier on the little guys. CARB vigorously defended their decision to relax the rules, if you can believe it. .. I get cognitive dissonance when I think of the CARB actually defending more pollution rather than fighting it... and the big player$, with the big dollar attorney$, prevailed. CARB and the little guys lost. CARB appealed the decision, and that appeal was adjudicated by the beginning of this year. Another loss by the CARB.

So, the relaxation of the rule was reversed, and effective immediately, the Low Use Exemption is limited to only 1,000 miles in the state of California, and 5,000 total miles, inclusive of miles operated out of state as well as the 1,000 miles in state. So if your F-550 is already reported under your TRUCRS ID as Low Use as your compliance option for 2018, you will not be able to utilize the Low Use exemption for 2019 unless you only operated the F-550 for less than 1,000 miles in state in the year 2018, and unless the total miles reported has incremented less than 5,000 miles, with proof that 4,000 miles or more were operated out of state (proof being fuel receipts, weight scale certs, out of state citations, out of state bills of laden, etc). This is happening now, not in 2020.

Where 2020 comes in is with registration. Currently, enforcement of the diesel regulations has relied in large part on the voluntary compliance of responsible and law abiding truck owners. Obviously, that isn't enough. Over the years, the CARB has been assembling a very powerful drag net of data streams from many different sources... and has developed a system to coalesce all of that data together to increase the effectiveness and the efficiency of enforcement. The smaller pieces of this matrix of matching data sets began being assembled in 2015. By 2020, the data dragnet will be complete. People will not be able to register their trucks unless they have reported them to the TRUCRS data base, met the requirements of the compliance option they report the trucks under, and have (and this is new this year) reported the results of their annually required PSIP.

Whereas folks with pickups under 14,000 GVWR likely never heard of PSIP, fleet owners with 2 or more diesel vehicles have long been subject to annual PSIP tests. The difference, coming at the end of this year, is instead of just holding on to the records for three years, fleet owners will have to report the PSIP results, which will include mileage. That mileage number, documented by the certified PSIP inspector electronically, will also make it difficult for cheaters to under report mileage to meet a compliance option, because mileage numbers from all sources will be matched by the data dragnet. Mileage from CHP citations, PSIP reports, roadside inspections, and self reporting... all must match.

None of this is new. It has been going on for the last decade. What is new is the involvement of the DMV having the power to deny registration. This new and upcoming power will wake up those who have not been paying attention to or who have otherwise been ignoring the regulations. When they can no longer get tags for their trucks, they become open season for any law enforcement officer to pull them over, not just CARB enforcement. Without current regulation, the costs of non-compliance increase exponentially, as does the effectiveness of enforcement.

If you use an over 14,000 GVWR diesel powered vehicle commercially in a trade or business, and it is powered by a 7.3L engine, it will have to be replaced, retired, or repowered, by January 1, 2020. This isn't new. I posted this same information 7 or 8 years ago. The retirement schedule has not changed. As the pdf that David posted points out, there are 13 exemptions to this rule. Given that your truck as currently used and configured doesn't qualify for any of those exemptions, your best option is to sell the truck now (before the less informed folks flood the market). When you do sell the truck, be sure and include the statutory disclosure clause apprising the buyer of the regulations, in order to protect yourself. Since the law mandates that the seller provide this disclosure, a buyer would have cause of action against you if you are negligent in providing the disclosure.

I advise a fleet that has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to comply with these regulations, with plans to spend hundreds of thousands more over the next two years. Just the other day, we let go of a beautiful very low mileage crew cab 2000 F-750 with a big Cat purring under the hood for only $10K, to a lucky guy who flew down from Washington state to drive his prize home. This is real. I've been dealing with this for 8 years now, mostly with Class 8 trucks, which were subject to a much more aggressive retire or retrofit schedule, not at all like the blanket leave as is until such and such date of the under 26K GVWR trucks.

Old 05-23-2018, 03:09 PM
Karlow
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep, I would reg. it out of state.
One thing, you are required to have your vehical reg. in the Peoples Republic Of Caifonia the first day that you are employed here.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:07 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,341 Likes on 1,749 Posts
Out of state diesel vehicles are subject to the same regulations when operating in California. This holds true even for national fleets operated by Swift, CR England, UPS, etc. There are also Greenhouse Gas Reduction regulations, that out of state registered diesel fleets must comply with, in addition to having 2010 model year engines or newer. These GHG regulations cover everything from tires to trailer skirts. Some companies no longer operate in CA as a result. The combination of higher fuel taxes (Diesel currently $4.20 per gallon locally), GHG regs, and diesel engine model year regs has not only increased the cost to do trucking in CA... it has had the ripple effect of increasing the costs of goods and services in CA.

An out of state plate leaves the operator no less vulnerable to CARB enforcement of diesel emissions regulations than an in state plate. The only difference might be that CA has no authority to block or deny registration in another state. However, it is illegal to operate an out of state registered vehicle for longer than 30 days in the state of CA anyway. Motor Carrier permit and DOT regulations require a CA# on the door, and the CA# is registered to the operator's terminal, and linked to the operator's other licenses, such as business license and contractors license, in the case of a typical light medium duty truck between 14K and 19.5K GVWR, which is the type of vehicle of concern in this thread and in this forum.

When it becomes clear to the state that the vehicle is being operated in this state while registered to another state, there are additional fines and penalties that are assessable, on top of the expenses required to bring the subject vehicle into compliance, or replace it, as it will immediately be put out of service. The loopholes are closing. I regularly read the cases of the folks who get caught, especially the smaller operators with smaller fleets, with particular focus on construction and service trades. All the suggestions made regarding registering out of state may work for you... until you get caught. Then they work woefully against you.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:17 PM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Yep. Starting next year I cannot even visit without a temporary 3 day permit even if I'm pulling my camper on vacation

Old 05-24-2018, 05:16 AM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
A sad situation.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:14 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Being from a small town and visiting L.A. years ago, it was spooky to look up and see brown sky every day, with distant views too obscured by smog to enjoy. I totally get why CARB had to happen, Beijing could use a BARB. However... I think in the fog of performing this service, they are losing sight of who they are performing the service for. It's one thing to prevent new problems from arriving in the state, or preventing people from allowing the cleaner devices to perform below their designed capabilities - but it's a whole different thing to punish those who needed equipment before the cleaner versions were available. This is crossing a line that has the weak scent of George Orwell's "1984" or Margaret Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale". Once this move is digested by the masses, the next step won't seem so shocking as it would today... this is how we surrender our freedoms - a frayed edge at a time.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:57 AM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Tugly
Being from a small town and visiting L.A. years ago, it was spooky to look up and see brown sky every day, with distant views too obscured by smog to enjoy. I totally get why CARB had to happen, Beijing could use a BARB. However... I think in the fog of performing this service, they are losing sight of who they are performing the service for. It's one thing to prevent new problems from arriving in the state, or preventing people from allowing the cleaner devices to perform below their designed capabilities - but it's a whole different thing to punish those who needed equipment before the cleaner versions were available. This is crossing a line that has the weak scent of George Orwell's "1984" or Margaret Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale". Once this move is digested by the masses, the next step won't seem so shocking as it would today... this is how we surrender our freedoms - a frayed edge at a time.
Yep 2030 all a private citizen is allowed to lease and drive (no longer allowed to own) is something similar to a smart car. Not sure how it drives but it is not internal combustion and it can be remotely shut off at any time. All internal combustion vehicles have been rounded up and crushed. Gas stations are a thing of the past......

Old 05-24-2018, 08:36 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by brandon_oma#692
Yep 2030 all a private citizen is allowed to lease and drive (no longer allowed to own) is something similar to a smart car. Not sure how it drives but it is not internal combustion and it can be remotely shut off at any time. All internal combustion vehicles have been rounded up and crushed. Gas stations are a thing of the past......
Wait, this is a real law trying to come in for the future or are you just talking facetiously? These things give me the creeps. Who knows if I will even be here then, but the idea that the freedom will be taken haunts me.

Old 05-24-2018, 09:11 AM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Wait, this is a real law trying to come in for the future or are you just talking facetiously? These things give me the creeps. Who knows if I will even be here then, but the idea that the freedom will be taken haunts me.
Sorry just predicting the future for the entire country. We will continue to give up freedom 1 piece at a time until it is gone.

Edit I am sure if you hopped in your time machine went back in time enough years to tell truckers you were from the future and they could not drive old semi's anymore they have to go buy a new one because the government said so they wouldn't believe you.

Old 05-24-2018, 09:17 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Mandatory electric cars only in Kalifornia would not surprise me in the least bit. For those who live in Kalifornia it might surprise you to hear that generators, lawn mowers, etc that are sold in PA have, "Not for Sale in Kalifornia" in big print on the side of the boxes.

Quick Reply: California Air Resource Board Requiring Me To Replace My Engine!!