Real time TorqShift-G towing transmission temps/fuel economy

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 03:10 PM
TCNashville
Laughing Gas
Received 170 Likes on 138 Posts
Real time TorqShift-G towing transmission temps/fuel economy

One concern of mine about this new transmission was the transmissions temps I was experiencing while not towing as I purchased the truck last November and hadn't had the chance to tow with it yet. Driving down the Interstate in the middle of winter I was seeing temps of 203* @ 80 mph. We finally got to tow our 9,200 lb travel trailer about 70 miles in flat/rolling terrain @ 65 mph. Ambient temp was 87* and I'm happy to say that I never saw the trans temp go over 203*. In fact, sometimes it was below 200*! Very happy how this gas F-250 tows a heavy load in tow/haul mode. BTW, according to the trucks computer, I averaged 9.5 mpg. Very pleased.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:16 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
There is a thermostat in the transmission that keeps it that warm. The transmission is more efficient hot and that is part of the reason you get decent fuel economy.

Old 05-22-2018, 07:50 AM
TCNashville
Laughing Gas
Thanks Mark, as usual your comments are greatly appreciated. I think a lot of us were concerned that we were gonna see a lot higher trans temps while towing than 203*. I'm perfectly happy with the temps I observed. It's the 220-230* temps that I expected to see while towing that would be the concern. Really pleased how the truck performed towing this weight. Now if they could do something about the trans "clunk" that many of us are experiencing that would be the icing on the cake.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:34 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
220-230°F isn't a problem at all for these transmissions.

Old 05-22-2018, 10:58 AM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Speaking of transmission's with thermostats, I will relate a story that has a bearing on this thread:

An acquaintance of mine called me recently. He knows I used to own a couple of Aamco transmission centers and currently a new SuperDuty 6.7. He bought a slightly used '17 F350 6.7 (something like 10K miles) to tow his rather nice boat. He recently took the truck in for service and was told by the shop that he should upgrade the transmission cooler since he was towing such a big/heavy boat to the gulf coast regularly. Made sense to him so he popped for the cooler at $350.

He was saying something must be wrong since the transmission temperatures were basically unchanged. He assumed that the shop took his $350 and stiffed him on the cooler and wanted to know what he should do. I had to laugh....

Old 05-22-2018, 02:27 PM
TCNashville
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
220-230°F isn't a problem at all for these transmissions.
Good to know and again thanks.

Old 05-22-2018, 02:32 PM
TCNashville
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Clubwagon
Speaking of transmission's with thermostats, I will relate a story that has a bearing on this thread:

An acquaintance of mine called me recently. He knows I used to own a couple of Aamco transmission centers and currently a new SuperDuty 6.7. He bought a slightly used '17 F350 6.7 (something like 10K miles) to tow his rather nice boat. He recently took the truck in for service and was told by the shop that he should upgrade the transmission cooler since he was towing such a big/heavy boat to the gulf coast regularly. Made sense to him so he popped for the cooler at $350.

He was saying something must be wrong since the transmission temperatures were basically unchanged. He assumed that the shop took his $350 and stiffed him on the cooler and wanted to know what he should do. I had to laugh....
Yep he got taken even though they may have actually installed the extra cooler. I've read somewhere on here that you could put 5 coolers on and not change the operating temp because of the internal thermostat.

Old 05-22-2018, 03:14 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by TCNashville
Yep he got taken even though they may have actually installed the extra cooler. I've read somewhere on here that you could put 5 coolers on and not change the operating temp because of the internal thermostat.
Yep. They might very well have. Knowing this guy, he's pretty smart but sometimes falls victim to the "too little knowledge and not knowing it" syndrome. He has had a succession of nicer and nicer boats and truck to tow them with. So he bought the '17 SD to replace his previous GM truck. Trying to be smart he was monitoring the transmission temps and noticed they were higher than his old trucks. Asked the shop about it and they told him about needing a cooler. Its very possible that the shop was trying to be legit and just didn't know what the normal temps were for this truck.

Old 05-24-2018, 10:18 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
It would bother me greatly wondering if the new cooler was actually any better than what came from the factory.

the factory coolers are soooo good now that It is hard to improve.

Old 05-27-2018, 05:10 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
The Ford factory coolers are excellent and have been for years. I had a '95 Ford E150 Clubwagon that I towed with all over the US and the factory cooler was more than adequate. Florida in July. West Texas on I-10 in August. It didn't care.

Old 05-27-2018, 09:15 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by TCNashville
I've read somewhere on here that you could put 5 coolers on and not change the operating temp because of the internal thermostat.
If you run that many in series the pressure issue is that you'll likely have NO cooling since no fluid will be pumped through that mess.

Old 05-28-2018, 05:45 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Clubwagon
Yep. They might very well have. Knowing this guy, he's pretty smart but sometimes falls victim to the "too little knowledge and not knowing it" syndrome. He has had a succession of nicer and nicer boats and truck to tow them with. So he bought the '17 SD to replace his previous GM truck. Trying to be smart he was monitoring the transmission temps and noticed they were higher than his old trucks. Asked the shop about it and they told him about needing a cooler. Its very possible that the shop was trying to be legit and just didn't know what the normal temps were for this truck.
I agree with the above, he got taken. He may be better off removing the aftermarket unit and going back to the OEM setup. Nothing good can come from this, but it adds the possibility of leaks and increased restriction causing inadequate flow. I've never heard of someone overheating the transmission on a properly-functioning 2008 or newer Super Duty, the cooling systems are outstanding.

Old 05-28-2018, 07:34 PM
lariatbob
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Tow with confidence.

Did a 2k mile trip this spring from Denver to Grand Junction to Bryce Canyon to Hoover Dam to Grand Canyon to Monument Valley to Pagosa Springs and home to Thornton. Trailer weighed in at 9k lbs.
Plenty of steep grades. Temp maxed once at 210. 207 common. Truck has 20k on it, Changed the fluid and filter when I got back just for "fun". Fluid was bright and clear, no heat smell at all. Very little break in debris on magnet.
Very pleased and now confident. Another strong component in an awesome truck.

Old 06-03-2018, 09:30 AM
6.2caribou
Laughing Gas
Received 164 Likes on 105 Posts
What I don't get is...with the thermostatically controlled transmission cooling being so effective, why does it take so long after the engine appears to hit operating temp for the trans to also hit operating temp?
Maybe it's due to sensor location? Or?

Old 06-03-2018, 11:08 AM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Transmissions warm up much slower than engines do. It also depends on how you drive it. Low load in 4th gear and higher means the converter clutch is applied and since the majority of the heat comes from the torque converter turbine working, with the clutch applied there isn't that much to generate heat.

Quick Reply: Real time TorqShift-G towing transmission temps/fuel economy