2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

08 Navigator Transfer Case Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 07:19 AM
04ExpeditionEB
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 Navigator Transfer Case Question

hello all,
I have 08 navigator Lux. it doesn't have a low range option for 4x4, its also push button n the dash not a manual **** like Expeditions.
That being said - when i select 4x4 Auto or Hi i see nothing display on the digital display on the dash. there are no LED indicators on the buttons either to indicate what has been selected.
Now if im rolling under 55 MPH- i will get a message saying Shift in progress, I can feel it engage and tighten up, however I dont get that little display saying 4X4 Auto or Hi, and when i push the 4x2 button I dont get the notification that I'm back in 4x2 mode.
Im annoyed as all the shops I've called tell me its the shift motor on the transfer case. Well let me tell you.. it doesn't have a shift motor, this uses a magnetic clutch to engage 4x4. there is no physical motor on the outside of this unit.

I Just need to know where does the system get the signal from the transfer case, (it knows when its shifting as I get shift in progress, it locked into 4x4 auto and hi seperately and releases) but It wont tell me what range its in on the display
Yes i also checked, the graphic display does work as it tells me other information just not he 4X4 Status. I even went through and looked for codes with Forscan- nothing on the truck at all,

this one little thing bothers the heck out of me. so if you have ideas or had this happen please speak up. like to fix this asap. also I'll be doing my running boards soo.. its a good jump into it with 20's lol wife not that tall
Thanks
Bill

Old 05-21-2018, 09:26 AM
alloro
Received 4,178 Likes on 2,421 Posts
The signal comes over a communications line from the 4WD Module. Here is the wiring diagram.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Navigator Lux 4WD.pdf (423.4 KB, 57 views)
Old 05-21-2018, 10:04 AM
04ExpeditionEB
5th Wheeling
so please excuse my ignorance in reading this, but is there a simple switch to show engaged or is it all in the computer and internal?
This looks to me like a manual switch, that being said, my system is 3 push buttons at the bottom of the center console.
If you know what i should be looking at as the entire system is working- it does engage and disengage. only thing not showing is the status when its engaged on the display.
Although does show shift in progress when i am rolling. you can feel it lock up so i know it is in 4x4 as i get the wheel hop and binding on dry road on a tight turn in 4x4hi, in auto it is good and free but you feel the resistance of the front axle being locked in.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:13 AM
alloro
The signal from the 4WD module to the instrument cluster is achieved over the pair of HS CAN +/- wires shown on page 1 and page 3 of the diagram I posted. So yes, everything is done in the "computer and internal." You might need Dealership diagnosis equipment for this one.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:22 AM
04ExpeditionEB
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by alloro
The signal from the 4WD module to the instrument cluster is achieved over the pair of HS CAN +/- wires shown on page 1 and page 3 of the diagram I posted. So yes, everything is done in the "computer and internal." You might need Dealership diagnosis equipment for this one.
Im pretty sure with Forscan you can access those and i do have the proper adapter as well. but i see no faults in the communication to any of the modules and programmable options. I'll have to look further into activating the modules and see if i can get the 4x4 hi or auto to display on testing the modules.. see if i can get the system to turn on indicator on the HS can bus

Old 05-21-2018, 10:42 AM
alloro
Give me a good old fashion sender, wire, and dash lamp anytime. At least those can be diagnosed and repaired quickly and cheaply.

Old 05-21-2018, 02:09 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
When in 4x4 Auto it should display “4X4 AUTO”.
(The IWEs should be engaged and the 4x4 module will modulate the electronic clutch in the transfer case (sending power to the front driveshaft) as required based on traction).

When in 4x4 it should display “4X4”.
(The IWEs should be engaged and the 4x4 module will continually engage the electronic clutch in the transfer case (sending power to the front driveshaft) continually.

When in 4x2 there is no display.
(The IWEs should be disengaged as well as the electronic clutch in the transfer case, transferring no power to the front driveshaft.)

The Control Trac messages should appear in the reconfigurable portion of the message center (just to the right of the odometer reading).

Old 05-21-2018, 02:30 PM
04ExpeditionEB
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by pdqford
When in 4x4 Auto it should display “4X4 AUTO”.
(The IWEs should be engaged and the 4x4 module will modulate the electronic clutch in the transfer case (sending power to the front driveshaft) as required based on traction).

When in 4x4 it should display “4X4”.
(The IWEs should be engaged and the 4x4 module will continually engage the electronic clutch in the transfer case (sending power to the front driveshaft) continually.

When in 4x2 there is no display.
(The IWEs should be disengaged as well as the electronic clutch in the transfer case, transferring no power to the front driveshaft.)

The Control Trac messages should appear in the reconfigurable portion of the message center (just to the right of the odometer reading).
You are 100% correct. Everything works as it should except the display. i do not get notified. however i can feel the system engage, and can get the bunny hop in 4x4 hi and auto smooths out but feel the drag on the front axle. in 4x2 its smooth no drag at all.
I can hit the traction control the display does show up with the icon for it so I know it works. it just isnt displaying the 4x4 mode..
hence my problem. everything is working. no CEL either or codes in Forscan.

Old 05-21-2018, 03:53 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
As per alloro’s diagram, check out the High Speed CAN network connectors (blue and blue/white wires) where they connect to the instrument connector and the 4x4 module. Maybe a connector/pin has come loose.

ForScan can’t find any U codes?

Old 05-22-2018, 09:03 AM
04ExpeditionEB
5th Wheeling
As per alloro’s diagram, check out the High Speed CAN network connectors (blue and blue/white wires) where they connect to the instrument connector and the 4x4 module. Maybe a connector/pin has come loose.

ForScan can’t find any U codes?
Not a single code detected. which is what kills me. if the unit is working fine then it should show up but if finds an error on the CAN Bus it should log a code. right? thats what i thought

Old 05-22-2018, 01:04 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
If you have ForScan list all the modules does the 4x4 module show up?

Old 05-23-2018, 06:18 AM
04ExpeditionEB
5th Wheeling
If you have ForScan list all the modules does the 4x4 module show up?
yes it does and i ran the test against it. Actually just popped C1979 IWE Solenoid.
However it lockes into 4x4 mode. Im going to trace it out 1 to verify vacuum and 2 test the solenoid. may go to a junk yard and see if i can match it up just to test.
anything about the c1979 you can think might be the issue other then the solenoid?

Old 05-23-2018, 10:30 AM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 04ExpeditionEB
yes it does and i ran the test against it. Actually just popped C1979 IWE Solenoid.
However it lockes into 4x4 mode. Im going to trace it out 1 to verify vacuum and 2 test the solenoid. may go to a junk yard and see if i can match it up just to test.
anything about the c1979 you can think might be the issue other then the solenoid?
Yes. It could be an issue with the solenoid circuit, which includes the solenoid.

BTW, the IWE engages the front wheel when the solenoid turns the vacuum OFF.

Old 05-24-2018, 06:52 AM
04ExpeditionEB
5th Wheeling

Yes. It could be an issue with the solenoid circuit, which includes the solenoid.

BTW, the IWE engages the front wheel when the solenoid turns the vacuum OFF.
After Doing Further Investigation into this issue. I think I have with your help from this post identified the issue and once i get the chance to correct it I'll post my conclusion to this issue.
I have found 2 things currently that cause the system to work but not display properly.
1 I found that some where, somehow the main vacuum feed to the solenoid from the brake booster is broken, so there isnt any vacuum at all feeding the solenoid. (Hence I think the c1979-f2 error) Also think cause the solenoid isnt switching cause of no vacuum, its not allowing the indicator on the display to turn on.
2, the system when vacuum fails.. fails to the engaged condition. Hence why my mileage is crappy at 13.4 mpg. and feeling it drag now. Also why when i tested 4x4 modes, it works as it should even without notifying me. In hi i get eth bunny hop from the wheels being forced on dry pavement to spin, and in auto i can feel the drag of the system cause the IWE are engaged. however I didnt notice a difference when i selected 4x2 .

So thank you all who replied in this post for pointing out the issues and what to look for.I'll revisit this post when i find the solution and or fix the problems. let you know if normal operation restores.
Thanks
Bill