Do you really need a truck? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
2015+ F150 Discuss the 2015 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you really need a truck?

Old 05-19-2018, 05:34 AM
tseekins
tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
Do you really need a truck?

5 Questions for Finding the Best Pickup for You - PickupTrucks.com News

This is a very basic article for the person who may not be as well educated in the truck world as many of us here are. We see users come on here all the time asking what size truck they may need and then give us some brief description of their intended use.

Hopefully someone will benefit from this brief little read.

Old 05-19-2018, 07:18 AM
fordman19762003
Posting Guru
fordman19762003 has a very good reputation on FTE.fordman19762003 has a very good reputation on FTE.fordman19762003 has a very good reputation on FTE.fordman19762003 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Honestly, 95% of the time I could get by with an AWD crossover with a cargo hauler that bolts into the trailer hitch. I don't play in the mud or snow anymore because it's too much work cleaning stuff up afterwards and in the winter I'm plowing roads when the snow is flying. Also don't do a lot of towing or hauling anymore since I sold my business. Basically I'm using a 3/4 ton truck like a car, but I like having the open bed and the capabilities of a truck if I need them.

A 1/2 ton truck really is the best bang for you buck even if you don't need it. The midsize trucks and crossovers cost almost as much or more than a similarly equipped 1/2 and don't get that much more fuel economy.

Old 05-19-2018, 07:54 AM
cbradford
Post Fiend
cbradford has a spectacular reputation.cbradford has a spectacular reputation.cbradford has a spectacular reputation.cbradford has a spectacular reputation.cbradford has a spectacular reputation.cbradford has a spectacular reputation.cbradford has a spectacular reputation.cbradford has a spectacular reputation.cbradford has a spectacular reputation.cbradford has a spectacular reputation.cbradford has a spectacular reputation.
Didn’t need but cheaper than an Expedition! Most of the time just tow a 3500lb utility trailer, easier to load and unload, much lower to ground plus has ramps. Just needed something that I can fit in at 6’4” most smaller vehicles are out especially now that this age thing is catching up, Don’t like feeling like I’m climbing in and out a go cart!

Old 05-19-2018, 08:15 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
shortride has a very good reputation on FTE.shortride has a very good reputation on FTE.shortride has a very good reputation on FTE.
Thumbs up

A truck is simply a vehicle that used to have more of a specific use. Now it's another vehicle that happens to have a bed. Those of you that have cars, do you always use the trunk? Those that have various type of vehicles that come with a receiver, do you always tow something? Even though our F-150's have more of a specific task designed into them, it can just as easily be use exclusively for transportation. As a matter of fact, I very seldom see an F-150 identified as a truck. The only thing that gets transported in the bed of my F-150 Platinum FX4 3.5L Ecoboost w/3:55.1 gears is dust.

Old 05-19-2018, 08:24 AM
Tom
Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
Interesting thread.

For me the answer is "no". I've had a lot of trucks in the past and enjoyed all of them, but after my divorce last year I had other priorities. An ex-wife with an affinity for the credit card left me with stuff to pay off, so it was harder to justify the expense of the pickup truck. I traded into an Escape, but after buying a house last year I realized I went too small, as trips to the local home improvement store were a challenge. I just traded into a slightly used a minivan that'll meet ~99% of what I used to do with the truck, all while getting 28 MPG on the highway.

I'll have one again, but it'll probably be satisfying a "want" rather than a "need". Perhaps in the next couple of years, but for the moment I'm enjoying the gas mileage of my truck alternative.

Old 05-19-2018, 08:31 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
shortride has a very good reputation on FTE.shortride has a very good reputation on FTE.shortride has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Interesting thread.

For me the answer is "no". I've had a lot of trucks in the past and enjoyed all of them, but after my divorce last year I had other priorities. An ex-wife with an affinity for the credit card left me with stuff to pay off, so it was harder to justify the expense of the pickup truck. I traded into an Escape, but after buying a house last year I realized I went too small, as trips to the local home improvement store were a challenge. I just traded into a slightly used a minivan that'll meet ~99% of what I used to do with the truck, all while getting 28 MPG on the highway.

I'll have one again, but it'll probably be satisfying a "want" rather than a "need". Perhaps in the next couple of years, but for the moment I'm enjoying the gas mileage of my truck alternative.
Gosh Man! it could have at least been a Ford.

Old 05-19-2018, 08:57 AM
ecoboost12
Senior User
ecoboost12 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by shortride View Post
Oh Tom a Chrysler Product?Does it have a Turbo if not you can put one on Much Luck!!!

Old 05-19-2018, 09:23 AM
cbradford
Post Fiend
cbradford has a spectacular reputation.cbradford has a spectacular reputation.cbradford has a spectacular reputation.cbradford has a spectacular reputation.cbradford has a spectacular reputation.cbradford has a spectacular reputation.cbradford has a spectacular reputation.cbradford has a spectacular reputation.cbradford has a spectacular reputation.cbradford has a spectacular reputation.cbradford has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Interesting thread.

Iíve been there, drove a CX9 ( almost a Ford) for few year while recovering from divorce. Things got better and got what I wanted! Keep moving on!

Old 05-19-2018, 09:36 AM
Wiggums
Elder User
Wiggums is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Wiggums is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I bought the F-150 for economical reasons.

2008 - Benz C300, bought for $38,000, traded in for $13,500 four years later.
2012 - Ford F-150, bought for $29,500, traded in for $24,000 four years later..

The Benz was bought at the MSRP price while the F-150 was bought at $10,500 below MSRP.

The Ford F-150 was $8,500 cheaper than the Benz and still worth $10,500 more four years later. Who can say no to an extra $19,000? Furthermore, the F-150 was a joy to drive! The 2012 had a 5.0 V8 with 360 ponies while the 2008 Benz had only 217 with puny V-6. Even more disappointing with the Benz was the horrid gas mileage.. I could get around 22 to 24 while the F-150 got 20 to 22.

Look at this way, the Benz cost $400 a month and the F-150 cost $92 a month. The Benz didn't let me sleep inside the back seat. The Benz couldn't be bothered with a little mud. I expected better so it was splitsville and I have remained in the arms of my F-150 since then.

Never could go back to fancy German cars. I was so impressed I bought a new 2016 and I will probably be buying a new 2020, the impressive resale is what makes the F-150 so affordable to me.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:42 AM
Tom
Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by shortride View Post
Ha! True, but my Escape was certainly not flawless for the time I had it. Front cover leak and PTU failure before 60K, so I was a bit Ford-frustrated at the time. Ford doesn't make a minivan, and the Edge/Explorer/Edge use the 3.5L with the awful internal water pump that can trash the engine when it fails. I thought about a Ford, but it just didn't make sense for me.

Originally Posted by cbradford View Post
Iíve been there, drove a CX9 ( almost a Ford) for few year while recovering from divorce. Things got better and got what I wanted! Keep moving on!
Thanks, that's definitely the plan. I can't say things are going badly, either...I think all of us are much happier this way. I almost sold the boat, but glad I didn't...gives me something to do with the kids. And my non-Ford non-truck seems to do a really good job pulling it.

I didn't mean to sidetrack the thread. Sorry, Tim!

Old 05-19-2018, 04:44 PM
tseekins
tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
In truth, I can do with out a truck, I did for over a year. I like driving trucks and i like the way the ride and handle. I like the fact that they hold stupid value and that my 7 year old truck is still worth a lot of money. Going forward, I'll hang onto my 2011 as long as it's cheap to operate.

Old 05-19-2018, 05:03 PM
soundwave
Elder User
soundwave is starting off with a positive reputation.
I *suppose* I could get by without a full size. I don't tow, but I do like that I can toss camping equipment and mountain bike in the bed without getting a dirt on the interior of the vehicle. Or move the occasional piece of furniture or whatever. I live in Michigan and snow is a given, and my truck plows though it like its not there in 4x4 and I wouldn't have it any other way. I don't miss stressing over driving though or after snow storms. I suppose I could make due with an Escape but I like the fact I have the extra room and capability if I need it. I prefer the full size, but technically one of the upcoming Rangers would be perfect if it was truly about "need" for me, but its about "want".

Old 05-19-2018, 07:57 PM
GlueGuy
Postmaster
GlueGuy has a good reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a good reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a good reputation on FTE.
The truck is a necessity for me. I'm semi-retired, so work isn't a pressing issue any more, but hardly a week goes by when I have to put something in the back bed, or strap something onto the trac-rack. Plus it is hands down the best tow vehicle for our TT. An all around winner.

Old 05-19-2018, 10:47 PM
ghunt
Postmaster
ghunt is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.ghunt is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I don't need one- I do need 4WD around here, but I tried the small truck route (Ranger) and I just didn't care for it. Plenty of room in the bed but just too small inside and not enough power. And, well, I like trucks. Already have a car (Mustang) and my wife has an Explorer so I didn't want another one of either of those. I was set on a V8 fullsize and that's what I got

It is nice to have a truck when you need to haul something, and don't have to try to borrow one from someone else.

Old 05-20-2018, 09:18 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
To tell the truth, I thought I could do without an F-150 when I bought my Shelby GT500. That lasted about 3 weeks when I found myself pulling into my local Ford dealership to look at F-150's AGAIN! There you know the rest of the story.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: