Headers - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Headers

Old 05-17-2018, 09:38 PM
BigBlock25O
New User
BigBlock25O is starting off with a positive reputation.
Headers

Hi all
So I am in the process of building my first truck. A 1996 F250 with a 460/ E40D. I was looking around for headers and came across hedman 89510s. Reading reviews and they are mixed to say the least. Some people say that they are great and no issues and others say they had night mares trying to get them installed. My question is, has any one run these and what is the installation like. Also I would like to run it to a 29 inch glass pack and was wondering if I would retain enough back pressure to not burn out exhaust valves? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-18-2018, 06:12 AM
frankosd
New User
frankosd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Check this guy out on Utube Foxboss9. He has a video that might solve your question.

Old 05-18-2018, 11:52 AM
Jim40216
Junior User
Jim40216 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Prolly cause a rucus on here, but you don't need back pressure.

I have the same engine and after reading arguments back and forth on the back pressure issue, I finally found a video that cleared it up for me. I'll try and find and repost. They dynoed different exhaust legths and circumference and the freeer flowing always produced better results.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:29 PM
bbf385
Elder User
bbf385 has a good reputation on FTE.bbf385 has a good reputation on FTE.bbf385 has a good reputation on FTE.
I just bought a set of these. I haven't put them on yet, but stripping the black coating is not really a good time.
If I do it again I will just use a propane torch or maybe the bbq. If you get them hot the coating wipes off with a cloth.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:20 PM
Benztechnc
Posting Guru
Benztechnc has a very good reputation on FTE.Benztechnc has a very good reputation on FTE.Benztechnc has a very good reputation on FTE.Benztechnc has a very good reputation on FTE.
I just took my Hedmans off, Iíll check the number if I can find it, before I put them in their next home. The garbage!

They would never ever seal to the block and always had a little exhaust leak. Always annoyed me.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:27 PM
frankosd
New User
frankosd is starting off with a positive reputation.
I think the best bet is just to invest in a good set of headers other Banks Performance or DougThorleyHeader.

Old 05-19-2018, 06:45 AM
BigBlock25O
New User
BigBlock25O is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for a lot of good information my next question would be does any one dealt with the l&l ultra flows. They look to be decent quality and the fact that all they do is ford motors has got to be good. The only differance is that i would have to have a y Pipe made up. Does any one know if "chassis exit" means inside or out side of the frame rails I would guess inside but I would rather find out here then when its on my door step.

I would love to have a set of Banks or Thorleys but just cant justify the price tag to my self

Old 05-19-2018, 07:06 AM
Bruce W.
Junior User
Bruce W. is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by BigBlock25O View Post
Thanks for a lot of good information my next question would be does any one dealt with the l&l ultra flows. They look to be decent quality and the fact that all they do is ford motors has got to be good. The only differance is that i would have to have a y Pipe made up. Does any one know if "chassis exit" means inside or out side of the frame rails I would guess inside but I would rather find out here then when its on my door step.

I would love to have a set of Banks or Thorleys but just cant justify the price tag to my self
Chassis exit = inside frame rails. Fenderwell exit = outside frame rails. Ck Bronco Graveyard for the FW exit. Some years ago I put a set of Thorley FW exit on my '77 F-250 4x4 Highboy...went on easily...lasted...didn't leak...gave the unit a "gasser" look!

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.