Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Horn Button orientation 55 F100 ??

Old 05-17-2018, 07:59 PM
Greg Rogers
Elder User
Greg Rogers has a great reputation on FTE.Greg Rogers has a great reputation on FTE.Greg Rogers has a great reputation on FTE.Greg Rogers has a great reputation on FTE.Greg Rogers has a great reputation on FTE.Greg Rogers has a great reputation on FTE.
Horn Button orientation 55 F100 ??

When putting on my steering wheel I assumed that the lightning bolt on the horn button was supposed to be horizontal. I tried to get it there but couldn't. I tried the retaining cup with the prongs in the 2 slots and the prongs in the threaded holes ( that are used with the wheel puller). It doesn't fit right in the threaded holes so I put it in the slots. So now the horn button lightning bolt is vertical when the wheel is straight. I looked at a bunch of pics on here and other places and it seems the lightning bolts are at all different angles. How did these trucks come when new? Thanks, Greg.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:05 PM
56panelford
Posting Legend
56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation
I would have thought the lightning bolt was diagonal when the wheel was straight. I'd have to go out to the shed and look at the old steering wheel and column to see though..

Old 05-17-2018, 10:18 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
I had the same problem on my 55. The horn button was sideways when I bought the truck. So I compared the 55 cup and 3 pointed spring with the cup and spring on my 54. Two of the spring corners must be at the top. So I took the nut off the column turned the cup around and reattached the nut. I put the horn button on and it is now correct.
pic of my correct 54 cup

My incorrect 55 cup before I fixed it.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:20 AM
Greg Rogers
Elder User
Greg Rogers has a great reputation on FTE.Greg Rogers has a great reputation on FTE.Greg Rogers has a great reputation on FTE.Greg Rogers has a great reputation on FTE.Greg Rogers has a great reputation on FTE.Greg Rogers has a great reputation on FTE.
Thats just what I needed Abe. So now is your thunderbolt horizontal?

Old 05-18-2018, 08:06 AM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by Greg Rogers View Post
Thats just what I needed Abe. So now is your thunderbolt horizontal?
In 54 and 55 the horn button had 5 stars and FORD in script. So I think you have a 56 or later button. Here is the one in my 54 now.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:17 AM
hooler1
Elder User
hooler1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Greg Rogers View Post
When putting on my steering wheel I assumed that the lightning bolt on the horn button was supposed to be horizontal. I tried to get it there but couldn't. I tried the retaining cup with the prongs in the 2 slots and the prongs in the threaded holes ( that are used with the wheel puller). It doesn't fit right in the threaded holes so I put it in the slots. So now the horn button lightning bolt is vertical when the wheel is straight. I looked at a bunch of pics on here and other places and it seems the lightning bolts are at all different angles. How did these trucks come when new? Thanks, Greg.
I think it should be at about a 45 degree angle like it appears on the hood emblem with the wheel straight. Follow abes advise and that will make it correct. As far as what you see on other pictures the horn button will turn somewhat getting bumped while using the steering wheel. I have to just turn my horn button all the way clockwise every now and then.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:32 PM
Greg Rogers
Elder User
Abe, yeah my truck is a combo of parts... Hooler, I will check out the hood emblem. This truck is the first vehicle I have put together that I never saw together before. ( If that makes any sense) It's fun but confusing. Thanks so much to you guys for your help, Greg.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:11 PM
abe
Post Fiend
Here is a picture from the Dennis Carpenter website. It looks like the bolt should be on a diagonal.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:51 AM
Greg Rogers
Elder User
I put the cup as you have it, Abe. Now the button is diagonal just like on the hood emblem. Thanks guys!

Old 05-23-2018, 08:58 AM
abe
Post Fiend
All right! Success!