1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Help! Struggling with my first Ford

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 06:34 PM
E250 Guy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help! Struggling with my first Ford

I bought a 2003 E250 4.2 V6 with approximately 285k miles on the odometer. To be expected at this mileage, it has a few problems which I can hopefully find some answers here from the many who know these trucks very well. Help spread the knowledge!

First issue: The truck has recently been getting harder and harder to start. It will crank over and start for about a second and stall out. However, after two or three attempts, it will start maybe a bit rough but it will start either way. If I keep the cranking it with the key long after I should then it does start slightly easier.

Second issue: When accelerating at any given speed the truck will occasionally 'hiccup'. It feels like its losing power and sometimes might stall out, but never actually does. When it gets very bad, which hasn't happened for a while, it might sputter/kick aggressively. It usually does this uphill.
Side note on the second issue: I just sprayed the heck out of the MAF with MAF cleaner and got some every so slightly better results. It doesn't sputter aggressively as much as it use to but still does have those 'hiccups' every once in a while.

*Hiccup: It feels like the engine stops for a split second losing power only to go back to perfectly normal. It's a bit hard to explain so my apologies!

With all of the great info on the site, I have been reading similar issues online. Could it be the ignition coil, coil packs, or spark plugs? Do the 4.2 V6 engines have the spark plug issues that plague the V8 engines?

Thank you for helping a new Ford guy out!

Old 05-17-2018, 09:35 PM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Your hard start issue sounds like possibly a fuel pump. Try this: next time you go to start it, turn the key On (but not Start). Leave it for about 3 seconds. Then turn the key off and then back on.
Do this cycle 3 times, and on the 3rd cycle go ahead and crank it to actually start the engine. Did it start better? Or not?

If it starts better then you definitely have a fuel pressure issue.

Regarding your drivability issue: begin with engine codes. Then also check the basics like spark plugs, wires/boots, and a visual check of the coil packs.

Its my understanding that the 4.2 engine does not have issues spitting spark plugs like some of the modular engines.

I went through a ton of effort fixing a few things with my 4.2 when I had it. keep me posted on your progress. The engine is known for isolator bolts going bad and causing vacuum leak that is nearly undetectable. And the EGR ports on mine were plugged up badly and causing drivability issues.
I could add more but it’s bed time

Old 05-17-2018, 09:36 PM
NICKSAN
Laughing Gas
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Did you do the basics when you got it like the plugs, wires, distributor and rotor (if it has them) Trans fluid, Etc....
Both those issues sounds like it could be a partially clogged fuel filter or failing fuel pump. I would change the fuel filter and check the fuel pressure.
Probably needs done anyway. Pull any codes.......

We were posting at the same time Im50........... LOL

Old 05-19-2018, 12:49 PM
E250 Guy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Im50fast

Your hard start issue sounds like possibly a fuel pump. Try this: next time you go to start it, turn the key On (but not Start). Leave it for about 3 seconds. Then turn the key off and then back on.
Do this cycle 3 times, and on the 3rd cycle go ahead and crank it to actually start the engine. Did it start better? Or not?

If it starts better then you definitely have a fuel pressure issue.

Regarding your drivability issue: begin with engine codes. Then also check the basics like spark plugs, wires/boots, and a visual check of the coil packs.

Its my understanding that the 4.2 engine does not have issues spitting spark plugs like some of the modular engines.

I went through a ton of effort fixing a few things with my 4.2 when I had it. keep me posted on your progress. The engine is known for isolator bolts going bad and causing vacuum leak that is nearly undetectable. And the EGR ports on mine were plugged up badly and causing drivability issues.
I could add more but it’s bed time
Thank you both for your answers! Where is the port where I would check the fuel pressure? I can't seem to find it.

Old 05-19-2018, 08:24 PM
NICKSAN
Laughing Gas
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by E250 Guy
Thank you both for your answers! Where is the port where I would check the fuel pressure? I can't seem to find it.
Not sure about the 4.2 engine but they are usually on the top of the fuel rail, on my 5.8 I have to remove the doghouse and its on top of the engine up front a bit.
Its a schrader valve, looks like a bike tire valve (tube), should have a small plastic cap on it.

Heres a cool website to check out also:
Part 1 -How to Test the Fuel Pump (4.2L V6 Ford)