A couple issues and questions about installing glass in 50 F1 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Reload this Page >

A couple issues and questions about installing glass in 50 F1

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Old 05-17-2018, 08:44 AM
bhalemail
Senior User
bhalemail has a good reputation on FTE.bhalemail has a good reputation on FTE.

So i'm at the point where i'm ready to finish up the glass install and hang the doors/etc in my early 50 F1. Cab may be completely done very soon!
I had previously installed the rear glass and it was a very tight fit. I lubed it up and had to smack the glass pretty hard to get it in the opening using the heel of my hand. I didn't think this was right but it did go in and the rope pulled the rubber up over the pinch weld. The problem was after it was all done i noticed a very ugly malformed rubber weld in the seal and it was in a spot (top of window that made it stick out and look like something was wrong. I let it go for a while but everyone that looked at it asked me about it and so i decide to get a new rubber and re-do it. I can't remember where i bought it from but i was wondering if there are any known "GOOD QUALITY" rubber seals for the windshields/doors/glass etc. Prices seem to be all over the place but since this is likely a one and done (hopefully) thing i don't mind splurging to get quality stuff. Obviously the one i got was poor quality and now that i know what to look for i'd like to avoid that. Can anyone recommend a quality source for rubber weatherstripping, preferably made in the USA? Also for those that have done the rear glass, is it supposed to be that tight? It just seems very tight to me and the windshield was no where near as tight as that rear glass was. I didn't have to do much of anything for the windshield and i still had the 4 little brackets around the opening. I used some syl-glyde to lub up the rubber and it went in without much drama.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:08 AM
rusty48
Junior User
rusty48 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Not sure of good supplier, but from past project, My understanding is the seam is supposed to be center at bottom. I like to leave gaskets in the sun for an hour or so and silicone spray.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:31 AM
FortyNiner
Postmaster
FortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud of
Steele Rubber is the gold standard. I've bought from Dennis Carpenter, LMC, and Mac's. Steele whups 'em all. This includes the door glass mounting kits with replacement channels.

On the rear window, mine put up a bit of a fight as well.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:32 AM
cowdog86
Senior User
cowdog86 has a very good reputation on FTE.cowdog86 has a very good reputation on FTE.cowdog86 has a very good reputation on FTE.
My rear wi Dow on my 51 was way harder to install than the windshield

Old 05-17-2018, 09:41 AM
bhalemail
Senior User
Thanks guys for the confirmation about the rear window being a bit of a pain. I'm going to look at the steel rubber line as well.
Mid Fifty advertises a USA product and an import. Whatever i previously had it was definately subpar quality. The seam in my windshield is hardly noticeable, in fact you can't even see it really but the one in my rear window was bulged at the joint. I'm sure it was imported.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:52 AM
bhalemail
Senior User
Can anyone describe what is meant by the windshield rubber extra groove for decorative trim? I just want to make sure that seal i used is correct. It had the groove for the glass, groove below that for the pinch weld and an outer groove for what i thought was for the 4 brackets AND to create a flap like affect for the seal. However now i'm wondering if it shouldn't have had that groove in it. I may order both front and back (need a front one eventually for my 52 so it would not go to waste) just to make sure i have the correct seal.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:01 AM
FortyNiner
Postmaster
FortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud of
The 51/52 models had a 5 Star option that included an upgraded interior and certain exterior trim pieces - one of them was for the windshield. Since the seals are the same for 48-52, only the upgraded cab models need the extra groove to hold the trim piece. The 50 models don't have/don't need this feature.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:45 PM
chriscris
Senior User
chriscris is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Same here, had to have the rear cut a tiny but smaller to fit.
Can anyone please post a pic of one installed?
There is a second groove in the rear rubber for the interior panels.

Old 05-17-2018, 01:55 PM
52 Merc
Post Fiend
52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by bhalemail View Post
Can anyone describe what is meant by the windshield rubber extra groove for decorative trim? I just want to make sure that seal i used is correct. It had the groove for the glass, groove below that for the pinch weld and an outer groove for what i thought was for the 4 brackets AND to create a flap like affect for the seal. However now i'm wondering if it shouldn't have had that groove in it. I may order both front and back (need a front one eventually for my 52 so it would not go to waste) just to make sure i have the correct seal.

Here's a pic of the deluxe windshield trim. If you don't have the stainless trim for your windshield, you want the standard gasket.

Old 05-17-2018, 02:22 PM
bhalemail
Senior User
Thanks Wayne! Much appreciated. I don't have that trim on my 52 or my 50 so that was the reason for my confusion. I can see how it would require an additional groove and based on what i think my current install for windshield is good to go.
I did order another one anyways since i need the rear and i also need to do my 52 windshield at some point this year. Nice Color BTW !

I can see details that will also help me with the a few other memory issues as i put my truck back together. It looks like you have black wiper bezel gaskets (assuming a rubber type?). If that is true do you recall where you got them? I ordered a set from LMC that showed as black but arrived as leather and it don't like them. They are way too big and quite ugly at that when installed.

Thanks for the help.

Old 05-17-2018, 11:09 PM
52 Merc
Post Fiend
52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of
Sorry, the pic is just something I robbed off the internet quick for the reply. The leather wiper gaskets are supposedly original, but they don't need to be oversized. You can trim them to match the bezel base, and can always paint the edge black if you don't want the brown to show.

Old 05-18-2018, 06:28 PM
Senior User
41505379 is starting off with a positive reputation.
replacing windshield notes

Here are a couple of notes from my experience replacing the windshield in my 1950 truck. On page 303 in my 1949 - 1951 manual it, says to bend down four locating tabs and to later bend them back in place after the new glass is installed. I got too vigorous when I bent or whatever I did to mine to get them back in place. I ended up with a 2 inch crack in one of the laminations of the windshield on the top drivers side. This is a reminder every time I drive it that I goofed.
Also don't use liquid silicone, which I did, to get the glass and rubber to slide in place easily. The reason is that can soak into the lamination of the glass. I have a bit of that but at least it is clean and not noticeable. Hope this helps someone. Patrick

Old 05-19-2018, 06:39 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Post Fiend
GreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to all
When I replaced the broken rear glass in my 49 F-1. I used the old glass as a pattern but the new one broke when I tried to install it. Had a second one cut 1/8 inch smaller and that solved the problem. Used LMC gaskets front and rear and all went smoothly after that.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:32 AM
bhalemail
Senior User
I used syl glyde. An old timer suggested it and while it is a bit messy, it cleans easily. Here is the description.

Sil-GlydeŽ Lubricating Compound A longer-lasting, high film strength protective lubricant for all surfaces, including: rubber, metal, wood, glass, and plastic. Won't melt, freeze, gum, or run off. Performs from -20 deg F to +400 deg F. Grease consistency stays put and won't drip off like silicone oils. Harmless to rubber and car finishes. Suggested applications: Trunk seals, rubber bumpers, speedometer cables, brake parts, window channels, hood strips and pads, rubber gaskets, and belts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.