Brake Controler..... How much pressure? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

Brake Controler..... How much pressure?

Old 05-17-2018, 03:50 AM
HouseMouse
Elder User
HouseMouse is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.HouseMouse is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Brake Controler..... How much pressure?

Ok, I know how to set the Factory installed controller no problem. Just how much or what gain amount should I bee looking for as the "Down the Road" setting? Should the brakes lock up? Grab or how much Grab should I be looking for?

Old 05-17-2018, 07:42 AM
seventyseven250
Post Fiend
seventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant future
The trailer brakes should never lock up on pavement, and probably not even in most gravel. Unless you use the manual slide that is.
The gain setting varies a lot, but you shouldn't be able to feel the trailer "pulling" the truck when stopping and you also shouldn't feel the trailer "pushing" either. Don't focus on the number Just use whatever gives you that "everything stopping at once" kind of feeling.

Sorry that's so subjective, but I don't know a better way to explain it.

Old 05-17-2018, 06:41 PM
scott91370
Elder User
scott91370 has a good reputation on FTE.scott91370 has a good reputation on FTE.
I don't concern myself too much with the numbers of settings either. I set mine to I don't know the trailer is back there when stopping. Basically the trailer brakes are stopping the trailer ad the truck brakes stop the truck - no push/no pull.

Old 05-17-2018, 06:52 PM
seventyseven250
Post Fiend
seventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant future
If you aren't sure what we mean, do a little city driving with it set to 10, and then again with it set to 0. The difference should be obvious there, so just dial it into the middle somewhere until you can't feel either of those two extremes.

I often mess around with the settings on a trip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.