Notices
2015+ F150 Discuss the 2015 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Down hill deceleration with cruise control

Old 05-17-2018, 03:41 AM
Big-Red-Lariat
Posting Guru
Big-Red-Lariat is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Down hill deceleration with cruise control

Doing a lot of driving on steep hills using cruise control. I like how the vehicle slows down without braking using engine/transmission deceleration, but on those really steep hills when the vehicle speeds up significantly on the way down, I hear a loud whining noise frequently (not my wife) as it slows down using its gears. Even disengaging cruise at this point won't stop it...have to brake to a lower speed and then let it shift back up to high gear normally. Is this noise normal, and is it damaging to the engine/transmission to let it do this regularly? Brake pads are cheaper than a transmission I'm thinking.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:48 AM
Wiggums
Elder User
Wiggums has a good reputation on FTE.Wiggums has a good reputation on FTE.Wiggums has a good reputation on FTE.
Mine does the same thing.. it may sound scary but it isn't damaging.

Old 05-18-2018, 03:20 PM
GlueGuy
Postmaster
GlueGuy has a very good reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a very good reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a very good reputation on FTE.
Does it stay in the lower gear? Mine will wind up the engine when this occurs, but I disengage the cruise control if it looks like it's getting out of hand.

Old 05-18-2018, 06:49 PM
85e150six4mtod
85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation
I really dislike this feature. The 2.7 EB provides very little engine braking, so all I'm getting out of this is the engine screaming along at whatever speed gravity forces. Disengaging the cruise does not seem to allow the trans to upshift. Glad these trucks have good brakes!

Old 05-20-2018, 09:45 AM
shortride
ididmyduty
shortride has a very good reputation on FTE.shortride has a very good reputation on FTE.shortride has a very good reputation on FTE.
Lets call this DHSC. it look official to me. Everything else is abbreviated, why not? I spend a lot of time having to look up some of these acronyms. Ford actually has an acronyms definition booklet.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:33 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker
Bullitt390 has a brilliant futureBullitt390 has a brilliant futureBullitt390 has a brilliant futureBullitt390 has a brilliant futureBullitt390 has a brilliant futureBullitt390 has a brilliant futureBullitt390 has a brilliant futureBullitt390 has a brilliant futureBullitt390 has a brilliant futureBullitt390 has a brilliant futureBullitt390 has a brilliant future
Cruise Control while in Tow Mode sucks, I can't stand it. I appreciate the transmission holding a lower gear to create engine braking, but damn let the truck ride out the hill and coast some. Just because I set the cruise to 65mph doesn't mean the truck can't coast to 71 or so before slowing down.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:44 AM
howler4x4
Elder User
howler4x4 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.howler4x4 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Ha! I had the exact opposite reaction as Bullitt ! I loved the way the cruise control held a very consistent speed in tow mode. I know I'm being conservative, but 65 MPH keeps the trailer tires & bearings nice and cool. If I want to go 71 I hit the throttle.
Bullitt you may be happier using cruise without engaging tow mode. Maybe better mileage too. (I don't know if there are other considerations at play.)

I'm towing 6,500-7,000 lbs with another 700 in the truck.

Old 05-22-2018, 12:24 PM
shortride
ididmyduty
shortride has a very good reputation on FTE.shortride has a very good reputation on FTE.shortride has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by howler4x4 View Post
Ha! I had the exact opposite reaction as Bullitt ! I loved the way the cruise control held a very consistent speed in tow mode. I know I'm being conservative, but 65 MPH keeps the trailer tires & bearings nice and cool. If I want to go 71 I hit the throttle.
Bullitt you may be happier using cruise without engaging tow mode. Maybe better mileage too. (I don't know if there are other considerations at play.)

I agree! We have to take in account that every option is not going to get approval from everyone. That's kind of like the Start/Stop function. I wish the switch worked just the opposite.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:54 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker
Bullitt390 has a brilliant futureBullitt390 has a brilliant futureBullitt390 has a brilliant futureBullitt390 has a brilliant futureBullitt390 has a brilliant futureBullitt390 has a brilliant futureBullitt390 has a brilliant futureBullitt390 has a brilliant futureBullitt390 has a brilliant futureBullitt390 has a brilliant futureBullitt390 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by howler4x4 View Post

I find cruise control nets about 1-2mpg worse gas mileage than just driving normal.

But it's convenient, so it is what it is

Old 05-23-2018, 12:29 AM
Wiggums
Elder User
Wiggums has a good reputation on FTE.Wiggums has a good reputation on FTE.Wiggums has a good reputation on FTE.
I'd agree.. on a hilly terrain, it mashes the gas when the uphill drive gets steep. I wish there was a setting where I could put in "from 60 mph to 80 mph" instead of just 65 mph.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:47 AM
shortride
ididmyduty
Originally Posted by Bullitt390 View Post
I find cruise control nets about 1-2mpg worse gas mileage than just driving normal.

But it's convenient, so it is what it is
That's odd because MPG is suppose to be one of the advantages of cruise control.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:10 AM
GlueGuy
Postmaster
GlueGuy has a very good reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a very good reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by shortride View Post
That's odd because MPG is suppose to be one of the advantages of cruise control.
It might also depend on which driver you're comparing to. There was a thing on driving a few decades ago (I remember Walter Cronkite was one of the drivers they were comparing), where they monitored the number and amplitude of throttle changes different drivers make per mile. It was quite interesting that some drivers can hold their foot very steady, and others not so much. At that time, they said it would significantly affect your gas mileage.

So once again, YMMV.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:14 AM
CR172
Elder User
CR172 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.CR172 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by shortride View Post
I have NEVER found that to be true. Always get better mileage without cruise. I wish they would program the system to where it wouldn't mash the pedal as far on hills. If I can control the speed without mashing the pedal and causing downshifts and such, why can't the computer?

Old 05-23-2018, 01:03 PM
NewEnglandHerdsman
Moderatee...
NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by CR172 View Post
I have NEVER found that to be true. Always get better mileage without cruise. I wish they would program the system to where it wouldn't mash the pedal as far on hills. If I can control the speed without mashing the pedal and causing downshifts and such, why can't the computer?
I know exactly what you mean, and I believe the difference is that humans can anticipate the requirements of road ahead, i.e. when to not add throttle and coast through a small rise, when to pick up a little speed before a grade that otherwise might rate a downshift, how long a grade is going to be, etc. The computer probably *could* do a good job of this given the extra input data, so maybe if radar and/or cameras, or even GPS improve...

Old 05-29-2018, 01:14 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1
A/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputation
My daily commute has several big hills that will push the truck into 3rd or 4th to maintain a set cruise speed of 70mph.

I don't like it shifting all over all the time, and honestly accelerating up to 75 or 78 on the hill for a short time doesn't bother me. Plus, the added momentum of being over speed will help fuel economy (albeit slightly) compared to using engine braking.

So to get around this, there is an easy fix. On my way home, I drop my gear shift into Manual and select 6. It will hold 6th and allow the over speed. It doesn't struggle to climb hills in 6th but if you need oomph you can go down a gear.

For me, this is a perfect solution. 6th is a fine gear for climbing those hills and allowing a little over speed on the way down. It prevents a lot of shifting and make my commute smoother. Once I get out of the hills, I'll drop it back into Drive.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Down hill deceleration with cruise control

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: