Down hill deceleration with cruise control - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2015+ F150
Reload this Page >

Down hill deceleration with cruise control

Notices
2015+ F150 Discuss the 2015 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Down hill deceleration with cruise control

Old 05-29-2018, 01:41 AM
Beachums
Senior User
Beachums has a good reputation on FTE.Beachums has a good reputation on FTE.
It would be interesting to see a system that could essentially use parameters. They could market an ECO-Cruise system where you could set a throttle position threshold with a MPH range. For instance you could set a throttle not to exceed 30% for a 5 mph range. This would save small hills from becoming large throttle events for a few seconds, yet keep you safe if the grade becomes steep enough to slow you to an unsafe speed difference in relation to traffic flow.

Old 05-29-2018, 01:56 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1
A/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Beachums View Post
It would be interesting to see a system that could essentially use parameters. They could market an ECO-Cruise system where you could set a throttle position threshold with a MPH range. For instance you could set a throttle not to exceed 30% for a 5 mph range. This would save small hills from becoming large throttle events for a few seconds, yet keep you safe if the grade becomes steep enough to slow you to an unsafe speed difference in relation to traffic flow.
I mean, if Ford can put adaptive cruise control in a manual transmission car (they do) then it seems like they could do anything.

For the record, adaptive cruise control in a manual transmission car seems like a terrible idea once you learn the ins and outs of the system.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:31 AM
GlueGuy
Postmaster
GlueGuy has a very good reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a very good reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by A/Ox4 View Post
I don't like it shifting all over all the time, and honestly accelerating up to 75 or 78 on the hill for a short time doesn't bother me. Plus, the added momentum of being over speed will help fuel economy (albeit slightly) compared to using engine braking.
Not so sure about that. Even when my truck downshifts on the downhill, the MPG display is pegged at maximum. I think it shuts off the fuel, or at least restricts it when this is occurring.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:46 AM
Wiggums
Elder User
Wiggums has a good reputation on FTE.Wiggums has a good reputation on FTE.
I would NOT mind a 25-mph flexibility in my cruise control! That is how I drive.

Uphill: 55 mph
Flat surface: 65 mph
Downhill: 80 mph.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:50 AM
NewEnglandHerdsman
Moderatee...
NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.NewEnglandHerdsman has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by GlueGuy View Post
Not so sure about that. Even when my truck downshifts on the downhill, the MPG display is pegged at maximum. I think it shuts off the fuel, or at least restricts it when this is occurring.
^^^^^ What he said. Most computer controls will shut off the fuel completely on a zero throttle, RPMs above ~1200 situation. This is actually when the computer does things such as a crank position sensor calibration, when the engine is turning in a no-power situation.

Old 05-30-2018, 02:42 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1
A/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by GlueGuy View Post
No I agree.. mine too. I'm just saying, that if I set my cruise to 70, and I over speed to 78, then I can coast for a little bit on momentum before the engine has to pick up again. If I hit the bottom of the hill the engine would ramp up immediately. It's a small increase in efficiency, but it smooths things out since often at the bottom of the hill, is another hill... Haha

Truckers tend to do this. They will accelerate (or at least allow the weight to speed them up) so they have momentum to go up the next hill and use less fuel to do so.

Old 05-30-2018, 03:26 PM
raytasch
Old guy with old toys
raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.
As stated above, cruise control cannot anticipate that long hill ahead and gradually build speed for it and then slack off speed as you near the crest of the hill.
That said, I don't like the new CC either in my F150 or the wife's Escape.