2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

preventing motorcycle theft during transport: Weakest link?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 10:28 AM
thelonius
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
preventing motorcycle theft during transport: Weakest link?

Greetings,

I just bought a very expensive dirt bike (KTM 300 xcw) and I’ll be hauling it in my 2017 F250. I was going to buy some heavy duty locks and chains to prevent or at least discourage theft. I noticed the cleats, which is what the chain will be tethered to, are bolted. Looks like this could be easily removed quickly with average Joe tools, like quicker than bolt cutters through a heavy chain.

Agreed?

Yes, I know that if a thief wants it bad enough he can steal it no matter what. I also have theft insurance on the bike. Should I have the cleat bolts welded?

Any ideas appreciated.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:41 AM
BowtieConvert
Lead Driver
Received 2,543 Likes on 832 Posts
Do you have the 5th wheel prep package? You could run a chain or cable through the tie down eyes. That should prevent anyone from being able to remove them from the bed.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:43 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
The cleats can be removed with average joe tools, both the upper "box link" ones and the four standard ones located low at the bed corners. However, with four bolts per Box Link and two per lower tie down, using bolt cutters to cut chain is probably quicker. Keep in mind the bed is aluminum, so "welding" is not as straightforward as it would be in a steel bed. I would not recommend this.

Frankly, you've already said it yourself: if the crook wants it bad enough, he'll have it one way or another. The crook would have to get in the bed using a small impact driver to quickly get all the bolts out; this would take time and with the bike in the bed be awkward. Cutting chain might be quicker...but he/she still needs to remove it from the bed. Your tailgate is locked and they are likely not lifting a bike high enough to clear the rails, so the gate needs to be down. The lock can be defeated, but this will slow them down. Taken together, these obstacles will probably stop all but the most determined thieves. And the bike is insured. So frankly, I wouldn't be worried unless I knew I was going to be parked in high-risk areas.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:02 AM
wicked 2018
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
good insurance.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:02 AM
thelonius
Freshman User
To be clear, I meant weld the cleat bolts to the cleat itself, not the bed.

No 5th wheel package.

And I think adding the perimeter alarm would add another layer. That alarm should sound if someone jumped in my truck bed, correct?

Old 07-09-2018, 11:13 AM
BowtieConvert
Lead Driver
Received 2,543 Likes on 832 Posts
Is an enclosed trailer out of the question? That would give you maximum security as well as be easier to load and tie down.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:23 AM
thelonius
Freshman User
No interest in an enclosed trailer.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:24 AM
CACRanger
Senior User
Are you worried about theft overnight? Just when you stop for dinner/lunch?

If I'm just going on day trips I never really worry about my bikes in the bed of my truck when I stop to eat or head into a store.

If you are making a long trip and will be stopping overnight then that is a different story. I bought an enclosed trailer for those trips, however I know plenty of people that will stay in motels and roll their bikes right into the room.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:04 PM
PentaPop
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I use a long, thick cable and run it through the frame, both wheels, ramps, bike stand, gas can and then over the tailgate and thru the receiver. Not bulletproof but I’m not gonna worry about it too much. If it’s gone the next morning then I’ll call the insurance company.

You could always replace all the plastic with Suzuki yellow. Then nobody would have any interest in stealing it!

Old 07-09-2018, 12:07 PM
CACRanger
Senior User
Originally Posted by PentaPop
You could always replace all the plastic with Suzuki yellow. Then nobody would have any interest in stealing it!
Best suggestion yet!

Old 07-09-2018, 12:13 PM
f350ktm
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have been transporting bikes in the bed for a long time and have yet to have a theft thank goodness.

No device is fool proof but my philosophy has been to make the situation as difficult for the thief as possible when leaving it in a suspected high crime area.

When most concerned I use multiple devices for securing the bike. For example a cable lock threaded through multiple items combined with a rotor lock.

Many of the new KTM's also have a steering lock.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:39 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by thelonius
And I think adding the perimeter alarm would add another layer. That alarm should sound if someone jumped in my truck bed, correct?
Only if you have the "Advanced Security Pack" which is standard on Lariat and up, optional on XLT and XL. That gives you a tilt sensor and interior sensors. I don't think the weight of someone getting in the bed would cause the alarm to sound. Mine only went off backing a heavy tractor off my trailer, which caused the rear of the truck to lift considerably.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:49 PM
wbigcount
5th Wheeling
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by thelonius
Greetings,

I just bought a very expensive dirt bike (KTM 300 xcw) and I’ll be hauling it in my 2017 F250. I was going to buy some heavy duty locks and chains to prevent or at least discourage theft. I noticed the cleats, which is what the chain will be tethered to, are bolted. Looks like this could be easily removed quickly with average Joe tools, like quicker than bolt cutters through a heavy chain.

Agreed?

Yes, I know that if a thief wants it bad enough he can steal it no matter what. I also have theft insurance on the bike. Should I have the cleat bolts welded?

Any ideas appreciated.

If you are worried about the bolts being easy to get out, take one out and go find a replacement that has a security torx head or some other special type head. Might at least slow someone down.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:51 PM
thelonius
Freshman User
Originally Posted by troverman
Only if you have the "Advanced Security Pack" which is standard on Lariat and up, optional on XLT and XL. That gives you a tilt sensor and interior sensors. I don't think the weight of someone getting in the bed would cause the alarm to sound. Mine only went off backing a heavy tractor off my trailer, which caused the rear of the truck to lift considerably.
Hmm. I was looking at the perimeter plus. I thought the sensitivity could be adjusted?

Old 07-09-2018, 12:53 PM
thelonius
Freshman User
Originally Posted by wbigcount
If you are worried about the bolts being easy to get out, take one out and go find a replacement that has a security torx head or some other special type head. Might at least slow someone down.
Security bolt? Like a unique pattern, like certain lug nuts? Who sells those?

Quick Reply: preventing motorcycle theft during transport: Weakest link?