1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Help ID if this is a 302

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 01:01 AM
NewClimber
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help ID if this is a 302

I was hoping to ask if someone could confirm this is a 302 motor? I am new to this type of project, and was told this was a 302 but want to confirm. Now I am trying to start my fit and it just doesn't' seem to be lining up with my motor mounts and I just want to make sure I am truly dealing with a 302.

I have the cross member motor mount from Mid-Fifty and I am having problems with my oil pan, and just the fit side to side. I am sure it is my inexperience of which I am doing a lot of reading. I have found just a couple good web pages of How to for putting a 302 in a 53. If anyone has any good How to you could send my way that would be great. I am looking for pictures of the engine placement.

Thx again for the help, this web page is great to read

I have it sitting on some wood on top of the cross member

These are the engine pads and don't look like any type of 302 pads I am finding on the web. I guess these could be custom to fit it previous home.

These are the engine pads and don't look like any type of 302 pads I am finding on the web. I guess these could be custom to fit it previous home.
up on my project.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:04 AM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
That’s most definitely a Windsor family small block, but the alternator mounting location, width across the intake manifold, and deck height as indicated in the distributor area suggest to me that it’s more than likely a mid-70’s 351W instead of a 302. The transmission and engine dipstick locations and 90 degree vertical thermostat housing indicate that they may well have came from a van also. In any case, it shouldn’t make any difference with mounting it. Both the 351W and the 302 use the same mounts, crossmembers, etc. and one will fit directly in place of the other.

As far as your issues attaching it to your crossmember are concerned, the problem is that you have the wrong motor mount pads. The correct ones to use with that crossmember are for a 1966 Mustang with a 289 engine. They are very inexpensive and should solve your problem. They look like this:

Old 05-16-2018, 07:27 AM
5851a
Logistics Pro
Received 720 Likes on 570 Posts
I believe Blue Oval is correct, power steering bracket also looks like Saginaw pump bracket that would have came in the vans along with the mid/rear sump pan. The long tear drop shape depressions in the block casting above the core plugs look 351 W to me. If you can get a socket straight on lower Thermostat bolt it's a 351, if you have to use a wrench from the side it's 302.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:13 AM
NewClimber
Mountain Pass
Thanks much guys. I will see about the bolt on the Thermostat when I get some time to go out to the truck. I will look locally for the engine pad mounts, but if I decided to change to a side mount style would these work...the bracket the attaches to the motor.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:57 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,448 Likes on 1,396 Posts
I would concur with the others that it appears you have the 351W engine. Your crossmember mount should still work with the afore mentioned Mustang insulators. If the oil pan still doesn't fit after procuring the correct insulators, you may need the traditional front sump oil pan. That would also require the matching oil pump pickup screen, and likely a different timing chain cover with the dip stick tube in it. This may sound like a lot of work, but imho, it would be a better mount system than the side mount kit you pictured. I've never cared for the geometry on those and how they carry the load. But again, that may just be my problem. Your mileage may vary.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:29 AM
NewClimber
Mountain Pass
Thx again for the help. I picked up the suggested engine pad mounts, and all looks to be working great...though realized my headers will not fit past my steering box but that is the next project...

But another question about the engine pad mounts, is there a right and left? I bought them from a local parts store and looking back at their web page for a '66 mustang, they don't call out a right and left. but some other sites, like Speedway, say right and left. I did get the same part number, and it looks to work, the motor mount cross member sits nicely.
Just want to confirm I am not missing something with the engine pads and there they are side specific.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:17 AM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

The ‘64-‘66 Mustangs used two different motor mount designs even the it was the same chassis. ‘64-‘65 used the type you see Speedway listing a separate right and left for. In ‘66 they changed the design to use one less piece and be easier to install on the assembly line. The pads used with that setup are the ones you purchased and are the same part for both sides. You’re good to go with what you have. I’m glad you got it worked out! Speedway’s tight fit block hugger headers for the small block Ford are a pretty good fit for the ‘48-‘52 chassis. They would probably fit the ‘53-‘56 equally well. They have them available in stainless steel, painted plain steel, and ceramic coated. It’s best to have the permanent headers you want to use one the engine before you choose its final location in the chassis.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Small...ted,39052.html

Old 05-23-2018, 09:28 AM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Here’s a thread started by another member here a few years back. He swapped the exact same engine into his truck with the same motor mounts and crossmember that you are using and the headers that I recommended. His truck is earlier than yours, but it should give you a real good idea what it looks like with those headers. He got his from Summit Racing, but they are the same house-brand units that Speedway sells. Good luck!

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ml#post8927098

Old 05-24-2018, 08:18 AM
NewClimber
Mountain Pass
Thanks again BlueOval...this information is so helpful.

I decided to follow you advise and get the headers I am going to use at the final install, just placed my order from Speedway.

Old 05-24-2018, 11:13 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Glad to help! Right on with the headers. We need to see pics when your done or it didn't happen!