2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Calibration for large tires with Forscan (No CEL)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 10:13 AM
briangp
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by KYLongRifle
Awesome to see that this actually works. I had thought about trying this at one time but got side tracked.

Two things to ponder....
I initially tried using the tire vendor provided height as a reference for my calculations. But they always seemed off. Then someone asked me to try the "running tire size" and that seems to work perfect for me. Running/loaded tire size is determined by measuring your tire radius from ground to center cap, then doubling this number. My 37's are claimed to be 36.6" tires on the nitto website, but the loaded tire at 70psi is closer to 35.6".

I was helping one person via PM adjust his tire size and we tried several values greater than the ABA maximum, and he never threw a CEL. Have always wondered if he typed something wrong or if all Canadian based trucks don't have this limitation in the TCM. The check engine light comes from the value the TCM learns via the BCM (what we are programming). But typically the TCM has a soft coded limit and once our tire size goes greater than that value the CEL is triggered via a mismatch.

One could always draw a chalk line on the tire, drive forward and measure the distance between the two as well.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:14 AM
ghatzie
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome to see that this actually works. I had thought about trying this at one time but got side tracked.

Two things to ponder....
I initially tried using the tire vendor provided height as a reference for my calculations. But they always seemed off. Then someone asked me to try the "running tire size" and that seems to work perfect for me. Running/loaded tire size is determined by measuring your tire radius from ground to center cap, then doubling this number. My 37's are claimed to be 36.6" tires on the nitto website, but the loaded tire at 70psi is closer to 35.6".

I was helping one person via PM adjust his tire size and we tried several values greater than the ABA maximum, and he never threw a CEL. Have always wondered if he typed something wrong or if all Canadian based trucks don't have this limitation in the TCM. The check engine light comes from the value the TCM learns via the BCM (what we are programming). But typically the TCM has a soft coded limit and once our tire size goes greater than that value the CEL is triggered via a mismatch.
Yes definitely agreed that using the measured value is best, mine happened to be very close to 38 (running 38" nitto trail grapplers), I know some "37's" are closer to 36 or 36.5.

That was my only reservation actually, that the TCM would use the axle ratio for something but my knowledge there isnt very good ill admit. So far it doesnt 'seem' to be a problem, I havent noticed any issues but that doesnt mean theyre not there of course. BTW im running GDP 150 hp tune with TCM flash. So far so good...

Old 05-17-2018, 10:18 AM
ghatzie
New User
Originally Posted by briangp
One could always draw a chalk line on the tire, drive forward and measure the distance between the two as well.
This reminds me of: (caution nerd jokes ahead). A little lengthy but a fun read.
The Barometer Story

Old 05-17-2018, 11:31 AM
devongarver
Tuned
Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
This is fantastic information guys. Thanks for sharing!

BTW, I read the barometer story, and can totally relate. Great story!

Last edited by devongarver; 05-17-2018 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Barometer
Old 05-17-2018, 11:40 AM
briangp
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Lol that story is totally the way I think. Good one

Old 05-17-2018, 12:04 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
this is a smart way to do it when your trying to do over 35" tires. Thank you, and hope we can get this into the Forscan sheet.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:16 PM
workingdan
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi, thanks for the leg work on this. I am close to putting on 37x11.5r20 ridge grapplers and the speedo being off has had me concerned.
So I have 4:30 gears and going to 37s, what would I use?

Old 05-17-2018, 12:30 PM
jeffgreenx
Cross-Country
Smart dudes like you are why I read this forum. Thanks for figuring this stuff out! I got a bit lost on the math, but am intrigued. Getting my truck leveled with bigger shoes next week. I'll have to give this a try.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:34 PM
Sil17SD
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Wel I came up with 2831mm circumference and when I enter it into programmer calc on windows its says Hex conversion is B0F.

Brian stock ratio is 3.55 and tire is 37". Which is the same as 3.30 with 35.5 if my math is right. I would appreciate any help.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:52 PM
ghatzie
New User
Originally Posted by workingdan
Hi, thanks for the leg work on this. I am close to putting on 37x11.5r20 ridge grapplers and the speedo being off has had me concerned.
Originally Posted by Sil17SD
Wel I came up with 2831mm circumference and when I enter it into programmer calc on windows its says Hex conversion is B0F.

Brian stock ratio is 3.55 and tire is 37". Which is the same as 3.30 with 35.5 if my math is right. I would appreciate any help.
Hi Guys,
Ive created an excel calculator (attached to the original post) that will help calculate the values to achieve. Give it a shot and if you have any questions post here and ill be happy to help.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:57 PM
ghatzie
New User
Originally Posted by jeffgreenx
Smart dudes like you are why I read this forum. Thanks for figuring this stuff out! I got a bit lost on the math, but am intrigued. Getting my truck leveled with bigger shoes next week. I'll have to give this a try.
Thanks brotha! I've gotten such great info from people on these forums over the years, im very happy to be able to give back when I can...

Old 05-17-2018, 03:07 PM
workingdan
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ghatzie
Hi Guys,
Ive created an excel calculator (attached to the original post) that will help calculate the values to achieve. Give it a shot and if you have any questions post here and ill be happy to help.
Thanks, Ill give it a shot

Old 05-18-2018, 02:52 PM
KYLongRifle
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
These are the exact same tires I'm running. I do have 3.55 gears but that shouldn't matter for what I'm about to tell you.

I use the code of ABA (largest possible without CEL) and I am spot on when the tires are set at 65psi... but
at 80 psi im about 2mph off at 80mph.

Old 05-18-2018, 10:30 PM
1qwktrk
Mountain Pass
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
0AAE code for about 1500 miles now and its very close with my (36.5) 37 nitto G2's I would say within 2-3% of actual maybe a little closer. Like even hard to tell when watching GPS close.
Have you figured out a code for larger tires then that with no CEL?
Kubotaorange76 posted about 0AAE while back as the largest code to work without a light.

Old 05-19-2018, 08:58 AM
kylant
Fleet Mechanic
Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts
I am close to putting on 37x11.5r20 ridge grapplers....
These are the exact same tires I'm running...

Where are you guys getting the 37x11.5-20 Ridge Grapplers????
I don't see them listed on their website

Quick Reply: Calibration for large tires with Forscan (No CEL)