99 B4000 4.0 4X4 - NO SPARK - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

99 B4000 4.0 4X4 - NO SPARK

Old 05-16-2018, 02:02 PM
signal34
New User
signal34 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Angry 99 B4000 4.0 4X4 - NO SPARK

My dreadful story begins after loading the truck up to head off onto vacation and when I went to start the truck, the motor turned over but did not catch. Not the least. I thought that maybe I was having fuel pump issues again after just having it replaced just a few months ago. So... I sprayed some starting fluid into the intake and attempted again. Nothing, just turned. Fast forward past vacation I checked for spark with a spark tester, nothing. I thought that maybe my camshaft positioning sensor had crapped out (for the 2nd time) so I replaced that and well... that's why I'm here. It should be noted that I have already replaced the coil pack and up to last week I had no codes showing. Any advice would be much greatly appreciated.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:55 AM
pawpaw
pawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to behold
Welcome to FTE.
When you turn the ignition to On, before cranking the engine, do the dash warning lights turn on & go through their checks & do you hear the fuel pump run for a couple seconds to prime the system & turn off? If not, look in the under hood power distribution box, drivers side back against the firewall & thump the PCM power relay, or maybe try swapping it for a like one not needed to run the engine, like the horn, or AC power relay & see how it goes.
You should have trouble codes, the only reason you wouldn't is if the ECM isn't getting power & relays are a known Ford problem part, or if the ECM has gone belly up & that's Not common.

If no joy with the ECM power, with the ignition On, check for 12 volts B+ at the coil pack electrical connector & let us know what you find.

Old 05-18-2018, 04:09 PM
signal34
New User
signal34 is starting off with a positive reputation.
PAWPAW,

Prior to seeing your post, I had taken off the crankshaft positioning sensor to test but after seeing your post, I reconnected said sensor then proceeded to give the PCM a good thump and.... would ya just look at that. It did the trick. So I took that as a telltale sign and purchased a new relay and swapped them out. I do appreciate the information you provided.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:12 PM
pawpaw
pawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to behold
Good trouble shooting find, fix, feedback & to hear all now seems well & your on the road again!!!

Old 05-18-2018, 07:26 PM
pawpaw
If you still have the parts you've replaced, they're likely good, so now maybe you have some spares!!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.