Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear coat blowout

Old 05-15-2018, 11:11 AM
RigCity
Senior User
RigCity is starting off with a positive reputation.
Clear coat blowout

Got out one day and there was a hand sized clear coat bubble on the bed. Now there is dirt trapped in I want to carefully remove it but donít want to start until I have a solution to minimize damage. Can someone please help I am aware a paint job is to real way to do it. Currently my paint is in pretty good shape my long term plan is to line x the entire truck maybe in white and deffinetly with a lot of texture I donít want the uniform bed liner style. Compared to the price of a real quality paint job the line x seems more economica

Old 05-15-2018, 12:51 PM
SteveH-CO
Posting Guru
SteveH-CO has a good reputation on FTE.SteveH-CO has a good reputation on FTE.SteveH-CO has a good reputation on FTE.
Many people are not happy, long term, with Line-X'ed trucks. The white can turn yellow-ish, it's hard to wash, and worst of all - rust starts underneath. Many future buyers will be turned off, as well, should you sell it. Line-X works until water gets underneath it, and then it's worse than paint by a long shot.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:48 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.
Lightly run a flat edge across the blister. Knock down the boil.

This is where it gets technical. To save the undercoat be very slow, light and careful.

After you get it to where there is an edge............start with 600 grit and wet sand going around the existing paint and into the clear coat. Work your way up to 1000 grit wet sanding but be careful not to get into the undercoat until it's final and then just a scuff.

Wipe it down with thinner and use a good dupont clear to finalize the job.

Let it sit in the sun a day and then rub it out.

Won't look like you shot out the whole panel, but it will pass inspection if done correctly.

Denny

Old 05-15-2018, 11:51 PM
'88 E-350
Senior User
'88 E-350 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.'88 E-350 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Clear coat bubble? Looks more like some brake fluid or similar got on there and is taking the paint off. I've never seen clear coat lift rapidly, it's generally a very slow progression.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:28 AM
jimjokjv
Senior User
jimjokjv is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I do a quite a bit of automotive painting (restoring classic cars) and you are going to have a hard time fixing that spot correctly without re-clearing the whole panel. Clear coat provides the UV protection for the color coat. Unfortunately many factory paint jobs have a minimal layer of clear coat on them. If you start sanding in that area my guess is you will go through the clear and into the base coat rather quickly. Spotting in the clear will only be a temporary fix as the clear will begin to peel around the edges after time.
If the paint is still in good condition and you have the tools and ability to spray some clear coat, the fix would be to scuff the entire panel to dull the clear coat (#7447 or 7448 Scotchbrite pad will work). Mask off the rest of the truck and then shoot the entire panel with a couple of coats of clear.
Might be easier to find a shop nearby and get an estimate.

If you are just going to shoot the truck in bedliner, then I wouldn't worry about this spot. Generally the entire truck will be sanded, a quality epoxy primer applied and then the bedliner.