1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handgun holster - seatbelt area

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 12:11 PM
redford
Received 1,562 Likes on 910 Posts
Once again, please limit this thread to carrying methods in a Super Duty.

Please refrain from discussion about laws, weapon selection, carrying condition (hammer up/down, one in chamber or not) or the ethics of carrying. Those comments will be deleted.

Check out the Alien Gear ShapeShift kits. They do make vehicle mounts for their holsters.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:33 PM
DieselBeast01
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by redford

Check out the Alien Gear ShapeShift kits. They do make vehicle mounts for their holsters.
I really wish you hadn't of posted this. I already have 3 of their holsters, and didn't even realize that they made vehicle mounts till you posted. Been surfing their site for 30 minutes and have a full shopping cart.

Mount looks good, I would make that square piece much smaller though. I don't think you need another bolt hole for the leg if you are going to make it out of aluminum. Can't wait to see what it looks like.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:25 AM
redford
Received 1,562 Likes on 910 Posts
They make quality gear. Sorry about the hit to your wallet.

Old 06-09-2018, 10:36 PM
RUNVS
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been looking for ideas for mounting as well. I like the idea of using the seat track bolt but do not like the idea of having it so far forward like shown in the earlier pic. The truck is high enough to prevent most people from seeing it but not everyone. My carry pistol fits in between the seat and center console (in holster) but will drop down to the floor given enough time/mileage so fabricating something to fit in that space would work for me. Would be nice for those rare times when I arrive at a gun-free location such as a government facility b/c I can lift the center seat (I have seat with drop down center rest, not a center console) and easily transfer it into the locked cabinet below the seat.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:05 AM
JeepGuy93
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RUNVS
I've been looking for ideas for mounting as well. I like the idea of using the seat track bolt but do not like the idea of having it so far forward like shown in the earlier pic. The truck is high enough to prevent most people from seeing it but not everyone. My carry pistol fits in between the seat and center console (in holster) but will drop down to the floor given enough time/mileage so fabricating something to fit in that space would work for me. Would be nice for those rare times when I arrive at a gun-free location such as a government facility b/c I can lift the center seat (I have seat with drop down center rest, not a center console) and easily transfer it into the locked cabinet below the seat.
That's more or less what I plan to do. With the location I chose, the holster will be barely visible from the windows. While I'm seated, the holster would not be visible at all.

The arm rest is in the way so I'll have to train the draw. Do you have a picture of your holster?

Old 04-06-2019, 10:21 AM
JeepGuy93
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by redford
This thread is mostly dead, but I have since made some updates:

I have settled on the Safariland QLS system. It's similar to the Alien Gear Shapeshift, but a little simpler.

Glock 17 has been my weapon of choice (because I know someone who gets discounts) and I purchased a TRex-Arms Ragnarok holster that mounts perfectly to a Safariland QLS fork. Attached is a PDF I drew of a bracket to mount the QLS receiver to a belt (using TRex-Arms' belt slides). I am posting all of this on GrabCAD, it seems to be an easy way to share these models. All of my drawings are Creative Commons Licensed, meaning you can do whatever you want with these except sell them commercially. https://grabcad.com/michael.bennett-22/models

If anybody wants to use a model you see on my profile, slightly modified, I'm happy to do so. Send me a bolt pattern for your Shapeshift and I'll draw it up real quick. Unfortunately, Xometry charges quite a bit to manufacture these. I have access to a machine shop at work, and a mill at a friend's house. Some products can be made to reasonable tolerances with a drill press, vise, and sharp calipers.

Unfortunately my setup is too bulky for the seatbelt area. I am looking to mount it closer to the shifter on the front of the seat. The great thing about the QLS system is that it doesn't look like a holster. I unclip my gun and it's just a bracket with a piece of plastic. Below is a picture of the receiver mounted in a vehicle (not me):

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
MWB002.PDF (59.1 KB, 19 views)
Old 04-06-2019, 02:33 PM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
JeepGuy93,
You have basically the same truck as I do. I go with keeping it simple. Clip your/a outside/inside the belt hard carrier to the fuse panel cover below the steering wheel. If I am using a different carrier when I leave the truck, I unclip the one on the fuse panel and drop it into the console. No one can see anything bolted to the interior and 'wonder' what goes with that. If one is worried that the tool can be seen to easily, a cloth can be slid into the fuse panel and draped over the tool

As for the warnings on keeping the thread to only carriers, I believe that is a narrow minded thought. Laws are different about these tools from area to area and should be known and adhered to. CCW and Reciprocity laws from area to area should be known and if you do not fully know and understand them (print them off and have copies with you when traveling), call the area Highway Patrol and/or Sheriff that you will be going. What is 'fine' where one may live, is 'not fine' where other people live. To tell LEO that you did not know... will not fly.

Safety first and always.