Modular V10 (6.8l)  

V10: Out of my league

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 09:51 PM
e21pilot
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V10: Out of my league

Through a family arrangement, my wife and I have taken over responsibility for a 2006 Class C RV with a Triton V10.

I know nothing about motor homes nor these big Ford motors. The only experience I have is with my 4.0 V6 in my 1992 Ranger which is still going strong..

I had a few questions about the V10.in this E450 RV.

It has sat for some time and will not start, probably because the battery is dead. I also don't believe much has been done in the way of maintenance on the motor, even though the inside of the RV is quite clean and nice.

I am told it has over 80K mostly highway miles which I am assuming is the case.

I have about 7 weeks before we would do any kind of camping trip with it.

Since I have no idea what kind of maintenance (if any) has been done on it, I was thinking of starting with that to set some kind of a baseline to work from.

I wonder what filters, components, fluids etc.I should inspect and/or replace to bring this motor up to reliable operation -- besides replacing the battery.

Unfortunately, we don't have the funds to have this repaired professionally. I'll just plug away at it a little at a time during the evenings when I have a few hours.

Also, is there anything that might be beyond that capability of the average DIY mechanic?

I haven't mentioned the automatic transmission or the diff but same question there: in terms of maintenance steps I should take?

Fortunately, there are no leaks anywhere underneath except for a few drops of yellow coolant on the steering stabilizer at the front of the vehicle.

It looks like an open ended task but hopefully I am starting early enough to get things going in time for our summer vacation.

Thanks

Old 05-14-2018, 12:37 AM
maticuno
Posting Guru
Oil, oil filter, and air filter if it's dirty. Plugs are probably still good at only 80k. There's really not much that goes wrong with the late model 2 valve V10's.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:10 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
maticuno already got you covered. The only thing that I might add is fuel filter. But do that after you get it running again so that it doesn't introduce a variable into any issues you might come up with.

Keep us informed every step of the way! And take pics

Old 05-14-2018, 01:01 PM
Hank85713
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
autozone has a nice maint free battery that you might consider, also the coach will need battery (s) to operate correctly. Does it have a generator? If so you will probably need to replace the carburetor on it due to varnish from dried fuel. Check fuel line it comes from the main fuel tank. Flush to water system then drain all. Use bleach to clean the water tank about a cup per 15 gallons of water. Fill then flush the grey and black tanks also and be prepared for leaks at drain handles possibly at lines to toilet and sinks etc.

Depending on where it sat also look for chewed wired from rodents include the spark plug wires. go over to the rv sites and ask for help there, good sam sites will be best in reality but there are many, some even for whatever brand rv it is. Most will talk about the coach as they are not really good at mech stuff but think they are. Look for mold and water stains in the coach, also look for rodent issues (they like to rv also). http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...tings/forum/23

pm me if you have questions

hank

Old 05-14-2018, 01:25 PM
Yoteman
Senior User
Take the motor home side of it out of the equation. It’s a gas truck with more cubic inches than your 4.0. All maintenance is the same between your ranger and the motor home.

Old 05-14-2018, 02:01 PM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How much gas is in it? And how old is it? How long has it sat? A year isn’t too bad for gas. Anything more than 2 years will need to be drained and have fresh gas put in. Then try and start it with a good battery. If it runs good you have taken a huge leap. Then change the oil and filter. Change the fuel filter after running a full tank of fuel through it. Then go over all the truck systems. I would change the coolant, belt and brake fluid at that age. Trans is probably OK, but fresh fluid and filter couldn’t hurt especially in something that has a load 100% of the time. Plugs aren’t a bad idea. I do mine every 50k miles.

Once the truck side is taken care of he. Go over the RV side of it. If it freezes where your at I hope it was winterized, otherwise you’ll have all sorts of plumbing issues. The RV needs it’s own separate deep cycle battery. This gets charged from the RV. I would get a new one here also.

If the plumbing system is OK (make sure there are no leaks) then go over all the other systems. Check the water heater (only with water in heater tank) it may have been bypassed and drained when winterized. And make sure it heats up on both propane and electric. this will take a while. Then check to make sure the furnace and stove and fridge works. The fridge works on propane and electric. It automatically switches over to electric (110) when you plug it in. Check to see if the roof top AC is working. After your all set get a couple tubes of Dicor self leveling sealant and go over all seams, seals and anywhere it has been caulked. This will insure you have no leaks in the future. Especially look at the overcab bunk area. Those are prone to leaks on class C’s.

Yes it it seems like a lot. Just take it one system at a time. They really are simple to work on. And a fun time when out for a weekend or a long trip.

you may also want to check out RV.net. They have a bunch of different forums and will give you even more info than you’ll get here.

Good luck!

Old 05-14-2018, 05:26 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 873 Likes on 725 Posts
At 80K, I'd also have the front and rear brakes inspected.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:05 AM
e21pilot
4wd High
Thanks for all the posts. I think it has sat for at least 6 months or so. I am going to try and jump start it next weekend using jumpers to the battery in my Ranger.

If it starts, I will let it run for a while. Brake fluid looks dirty and coolant overflow looks very discolored so maybe the coolant needs changing and there is also that small coolant leak to chase.

I think I going to start with the idea of getting the motor to run well first and then the rest of the drive line. Brakes and tires will be next.

After that, I will start on the RV stuff for which I have no clue. I guess I am in for a leaning experience there. I'll try and snap some pics along the way. Hopefully I don't run into anything too expensive!

Old 05-15-2018, 05:33 AM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
If it has only sat for 6 months you should be good to go with a new battery.

sounds like a great project. Keep us updated!

Old 05-21-2018, 09:10 PM
e21pilot
4wd High
I got a deal on a new Interstate battery for it. Changed oil/filter with 5-W20 as well as a new motorcraft air cleaner element (removed an over oiled K&N element I found in there). Topped up up the pressure on the tires.

It started up right away and ran really smoothly. It ran so well, I got a temporary moving permit for it. I filled up the empty tank with Chevron 91 and took it for the CA smog test. There was no Check Engine light on the dash so I assumed it would pass.

At the smog shop, I found out its GVWR was just over 14,000 lbs which means in needed a tailpipe test even though it was an OBDII vehicle newer than 2000.

The smog tech thought it was running well also but the tests indicated otherwise.

It seems it failed badly on the HC at 15mph.. I interpreted this to mean it was running way rich at low speed.but then well within the normal range at the 25mph test.

I wonder what could be going wrong on this computer controlled engine at the lower speed? It was running at least 3/4 tank of new gasoline and the tech let the engine run while I was waiting for the test so he said everything was good and hot at the time of the test.

Also, there was no CEL on the dash so the computer seems to be happy. I did see the CEL light up when I leave the ignition on the run position so I know the light works.

The tech also mentioned the V10 had an aftermarket Banks exhaust system installed for which I need to find an EO number.. The tech did say that the exhaust system seemed to be solid and was not the reason for the test failure.

I wonder if the smog test results are telling me what part I need to replace? It really runs very smoothly and I am surprised anything needs replacing.

Is it possible the software that runs the engine is missing an update? Is there some hidden diagnostic mode on the dash that I could trigger that might tell me something useful?

I am sure I could take it to a dealer to figure out but I don't have the budget for that right now. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:14 PM
maticuno
Posting Guru
Part of the problem was running the 91 octane. While these trucks will run on it, they aren't high performance - high compression engines that NEED it. Running 91 can actually cause excess hydrocarbon readings, especially at idle. Other problems could be failing O2 sensors or catalytic converter. You also mentioned you pulled an over-oiled K&N filter out. If it plugged up your MAF, that could throw off the air/fuel mixture.

I would recommend, in this order:
1) Dump a bottle of Techron (or similar P.E.A. containing fuel system cleaner) in the tank and run it near empty. Refill with 87 octane.
2) Clean the mass air flow sensor and throttle body.
3) Check for intake/vacuum leaks while doing step 2, unmetered air can wreak havoc on the fuel curves.
4) Hook up a code reader, even if there is no activated CEL, and see if there is a stored/pending code.
5) Replace the upstream O2 sensors with a good quality (Denso, Motorcraft, etc.) part.

Old 05-22-2018, 07:31 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
maticuno has you covered. I suspect a dirty MAF or some other issue with the plugs/coils needs to be cleared up. Excess hydrocarbons means the burn isn't complete.

Even though it's a 3-valve V10 that SHOULD be completely OBD-II, I have to ask: Are there O2 sensors after the catalytic converter(s) ???

Old 05-22-2018, 09:59 AM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
91 will not make the motor run dirty. Possibly the mass air meter cleaning and a good drive. What isn’t helping is the stale gas that got mixed with the new gas. It needs a good run on the expressway to get he pcm to adjust all the parameters.

Old 05-22-2018, 10:04 AM
e21pilot
4wd High
I will add a can of BG44K to the remaining 91 octane and run it through and then replace with 87 Chevron.

I know from getting other cars through smog that the upstream sensor is the one to replace. I will get a Motorcraft one (or maybe two if it has two of them).

I will also try and clean the MAF and TB with CRC cleaner. Vacuum leaks are hard to find and I certainly don't hear one but it could be there. I will fix the easy things first.

Also, this is a 2V engine. From what I have been reading the newer 3V engines went into the pick-ups. It seems the van based RVs got the 2V engines.

I would think about replacing the plugs on any engine with these miles but it sounds like the job is not that simple on a 2V engine. What about the plug coils? Should they be replaced at 80?

On reading more about V10 issues, one post I read noted that the V10s in the RVs are unlike the pickups in that they are hauling a load all the time and that may mean their maintenance cycles might be different.

Do the 2V engines have an IAC valve or just a MAF sensor or perhaps both? I had solved some smog problems on my 92 Ranger by replacing the IAC.

The CA smog test is a PITA by all measures but I will say having lived here for many years that the air is way better now than back in the mid 80s. I guess it is one of the prices we have to pay having so many people in this area. I will just have to find a way to get this V10 through smog.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will give them a try over the weekend.

Old 05-22-2018, 02:48 PM
RPFB
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you're looking for CARB EO D-161-78 for the headers. Cat-back exhausts do dot require an EO number. If the catalytic converter has been replaced, the EO should be stamped on it if it was an aftermarket smog legal replacement or it will have the Ford PN if it was a ford replacement part.

Quick Reply: V10: Out of my league