53 6cyl runs rough after a few - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

53 6cyl runs rough after a few

Old 05-13-2018, 09:50 PM
Malibu53
Freshman User
Malibu53 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by CharlieLed View Post
Given the progressive nature of the problem I would start with a good cleaning of the cylinders. Remove the spark plugs and pour some top engine cleaner, many on the market all will work, to break down the carbon deposits on and around the pistons and rings. After the cylinders are cleaned run a compression test to see where you stand on each cylinder. Compression can be lost through the rings or through the valves so the next step is to pour some engine oil into each cylinder and then retest the compression. If the rings are not sealing then the compression should rise since the oil you added will help seal them. If the oil doesn't raise the compression, and assuming the compression is low, then you more than likely have leaking valve seats. The smoke can either come from oil getting past the rings or from worn valve seals. Good luck...
thank you. That will be my next step!

Old 05-14-2018, 07:58 AM
big job
Posting Guru
big job has a great reputation on FTE.big job has a great reputation on FTE.big job has a great reputation on FTE.big job has a great reputation on FTE.
If you crack the choke a little does it run better? My biggest bet is condenser has gone south. Weak condensers will throw your diagnostics so bad ya get a headache. Weak coil another. With those two
it does not take long to go running good to bad. No pvc's on these, valve seals not a issue either if there is
even oil getting up there probably not. Gummed up rings needs heat and running. My findings; 9 out of 10
condensers are junk out of the box.. The FA 54 Napa condenser seems so far good. My 64 F350 all of a
sudden ran fairly ok cold then ran like crap. rebuild carb, same thing. New condenser bang zoom perfectly.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:59 AM
big job
Posting Guru
big job has a great reputation on FTE.big job has a great reputation on FTE.big job has a great reputation on FTE.big job has a great reputation on FTE.
If you crack the choke a little does it run better? My biggest bet is condenser has gone south. Weak condensers will throw your diagnostics so bad ya get a headache. Weak coil another. With those two
it does not take long to go running good to bad. No pvc's on these, valve seals not a issue either if there is
even oil getting up there probably not. Gummed up rings needs heat and running. My findings; 9 out of 10
condensers are junk out of the box.. The FA 54 Napa condenser seems so far good. My 64 F350 all of a
sudden ran fairly ok cold then ran like crap. rebuild carb, same thing. New condenser bang zoom perfectly.

Last edited by big job; 05-14-2018 at 08:00 AM. Reason: double post hit wrong button
Old 05-14-2018, 03:06 PM
yosemite98
Senior User
yosemite98 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by big job View Post
+1 on the condenser. Mine ran good at idle upon startup, but then it would hesitate when accelerating, almost to the point of dying, but only after getting warm... It was like a carb/fuel issue but we later determined it was the condenser. I put a new $5 condenser in and it's been running great for 6 months. I have an extra condenser and points in my truck now just in case i need a roadside fix.

Old 05-14-2018, 03:49 PM
Malibu53
Freshman User
Originally Posted by yosemite98 View Post
+1 on the condenser. Mine ran good at idle upon startup, but then it would hesitate when accelerating, almost to the point of dying, but only after getting warm... It was like a carb/fuel issue but we later determined it was the condenser. I put a new $5 condenser in and it's been running great for 6 months. I have an extra condenser and points in my truck now just in case i need a roadside fix.
thank you both. Now that I think of it, the only things I havnt done to it is replaced the condenser and the coil. That will be my next move for sure. Thinking back 15 years ago my 51' we replaced both of those I I vaguely remember my step dad talking about that issue!

Old 05-16-2018, 10:27 AM
Malibu53
Freshman User
Hey all,

i havnt had had a chance to work on the truck yet, but I'm bored at work so I'm digging through the Internet on a condenser and coil. Question, when I got this truck, I was told it was converted to 12v. Imdue to many many bare wires, first thing I done was gutted every wire and installed a new wiring harness. Along with some Dakota digital gauges so everything is hooked up new and for 12v. Only thing I did not replace, was the cool and condenser. (If I remember right? So how do I go about figuring out exactly what coil and what condenser do I need? Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.