2015 F350 diesel strange noise. - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

2015 F350 diesel strange noise.

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 05-12-2018, 09:43 PM
vinceherman
New User
vinceherman is starting off with a positive reputation.

33k miles, some pulling the fifth wheel but mostly commuter miles.
This spring we noticed the engine making an unexpected noise. A roar from under the hood when we are used to the deep diesel grunt. It follows the engine RPM rather than road speed, and gets louder at higher RPM (2000 or so)
Tonight I popped the hood and had my brother tach it up to 2200. There is a loud roar from the radiator area, likely the fan.
Do you think it is the radiator fan blades making all that noise?
Is the fan clutched to not run except when it is needed to pull out heat from the coolant?
Does that clutch ever fail ‘locked up’ so that the fan turns full speed all the time?

Old 05-13-2018, 02:41 PM
jpennell1
New User
jpennell1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Its possible to fail and be on all the time, but very unlikely. When the fan clutch fully engages, I.E. during a manual regen, these engines sound like freight trains. Probably normal. Try it one morning cold, with no A/C on.

Old 05-13-2018, 05:09 PM
jav_eee
Senior User
jav_eee is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jav_eee is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
It's probably your fan clutch engaging and yes it's normal. Unless you're hearing it all the time. If that's the case then you might have a problem somewhere.

Old 05-13-2018, 08:44 PM
vinceherman
New User
I do hear the roar all the time that the engine RM is above 1800 or so. This includes first thing in the morning, if I apply a bit of throttle accelerating down the road.
Any time that the RPM is close to 2000. It is the same roar that I heard from the fan area with the hood open. That was with the engine warm. I will try it again tomorrow morning with everything cold.

At full highway speed, you can hear it over the rest of the engine and road noise.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:24 AM
The Bone
Elder User
The Bone has a good reputation on FTE.The Bone has a good reputation on FTE.
Grab the fan with the engine off of coarse.If you can move the fan around than the clutch isn't locked up however there should be some resistance but it should move easy and smooth. You shouldn't be able to spin it.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:52 AM
Tom
Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
Moved to the 6.7L forum.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:32 AM
vinceherman
New User
Originally Posted by The Bone View Post
Grab the fan with the engine off of coarse.If you can move the fan around than the clutch isn't locked up however there should be some resistance but it should move easy and smooth. You shouldn't be able to spin it.
I will give that a go. But the fan is pretty well buried with the shroud hiding most access.

Old 05-14-2018, 03:43 PM
HRTKD
Postmaster
HRTKD has much to be proud ofHRTKD has much to be proud ofHRTKD has much to be proud ofHRTKD has much to be proud ofHRTKD has much to be proud ofHRTKD has much to be proud ofHRTKD has much to be proud ofHRTKD has much to be proud ofHRTKD has much to be proud ofHRTKD has much to be proud of
As I understand it, the fan on the diesel is controlled by the computer. In other words it's not an independent entity. The fan on my old truck was NOT controlled by the computer. If the engine was hot, even when turned off, then the fan would be locked up and very stiff to turn by hand.

My question then is, if the engine is OFF will the computer release the fan even though the engine is hot? The answer to that may invalidate the "try to turn the fan when the engine is off" test.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:57 PM
cangim
Postmaster
cangim has a good reputation on FTE.cangim has a good reputation on FTE.cangim has a good reputation on FTE.
Forscan be able to see fan on or off signal?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: