Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

'07 6.0 Super Duty Revival

Old 05-12-2018, 03:53 PM
Azryael
Elder User
Azryael is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Azryael is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
'07 6.0 Super Duty Revival

A buddy of mine has what I believe to be an '07 (didn't get a chance to really confirm) F350, dually, with a 6.0 and ZF6. Truck has been sitting for about a year and a half or so due to FICM issues. A new one is on order but I'm wondering what else could be amiss. Interior is in seriously rough shape; someone who was tasked with working on it tore the interior to shreds attempting to fit an F150 King Ranch interior... I won't comment further on how this went.

One battery is missing, and the other seems to have just exploded, as it's hollow, though there's no evidence of battery acid having been splashed EVERYWHERE, but again I didn't look too closely at first glance. We've got two new batteries, so that's covered. Sustained some damage from the hail we had last year, so windshield is toast, and the front panels and the roof took a few good hits. All this can be remedied by a good body guy.

I'm going to help him get this truck back on the road, but I'm wondering what else I should look for, and what scanner should I invest in for Ford diesel-specific codes? My generic bluetooth OBD-II reader will read the generic codes, but I'm assuming there are some diesel-only codes that require a reader capable of recognizing them.

What else should I look for and be aware of after it's been sitting for so this amount of time? Motor work has been done to address the head issues, and it's "deleted" as far as I could tell. Turbo looks to be in great shape, with the compressor wheel having no play and looking damn near brand new. Fuel is probably no good, so will probably siphon out to burn the old diesel mower and give it some fresh fuel.

I'm sure with the expansion tank moved get access to the FICM, coolant will be required, which means burping the system of air, but that's no big deal.

Thanks guys!

Old 05-12-2018, 04:39 PM
texastech_diesel
Post Fiend
texastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputation
Your alternator is probably dead to match the FICM and batteries. Use the starter bypass wire to spin the engine before you try to actually start it to move the oil around:

Old 05-12-2018, 04:58 PM
Azryael
Elder User
Azryael is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Azryael is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Hey, that's really nifty! I hadn't considered the alt may be toast as well. May yank it and have it tested just to be sure.

Old 05-12-2018, 05:57 PM
Yoteman
Senior User
Yoteman has a good reputation on FTE.Yoteman has a good reputation on FTE.
I bought the bafx bluetooth obd reader off of Amazon for $20 and downloaded forscan and torque pro. Both are amazing apps that will read everything. I like forscan better.

Check out ficmrepair.com for the ficm rebuild.

Old 05-12-2018, 06:04 PM
Azryael
Elder User
Originally Posted by Yoteman View Post
I bought the bafx bluetooth obd reader off of Amazon for $20 and downloaded forscan and torque pro. Both are amazing apps that will read everything. I like forscan better.

Check out ficmrepair.com for the ficm rebuild.
I'm wondering if my bluetooth reader will be recognized with forscan. Might see if I can get that to work.

I offered to simply rebuild it myself, but my buddy wanted to just buy a reman'd unit. I figure I'll fix up the old one myself and keep it around as a spare if I ever get a 6.0 of my own. Right now I'm trying to see if I can get some space outside the shop I work at to get the truck closer to home so I can start tearing into it more.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:47 PM
Azryael
Elder User
There's been some delay in getting the truck to me, but it's getting delivered to my shop tomorrow.

Coolant flush is on the list, so I'm wondering, should I run Ford Gold? Or can I make the switch to the pink Fleet Charge that already has the SCAs in it?

At present, I don't know what coolant the truck was running.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:19 AM
texastech_diesel
Post Fiend
texastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputation
If you use an EC-1 coolant there's no need for SCAs. Any of the major brand ELCs should be labeled to meet this standard, and any are fine.

I think I have Zerex currently, but this is on the shelf locally to me:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...tifreeze-1-gal

Old 06-07-2018, 09:06 PM
Azryael
Elder User
Gotcha. I've seen some folks running Zerex G-05 in their 6.0s as well.

That would be good, as I use G-05 in both of my Mopars, and my two older Mercedes, so I've got plenty on hand.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:53 PM
texastech_diesel
Post Fiend
Ford Gold is G-05. If you're replacing what's in it, do an ELC. Books says that G-05 has to be flushed every 30k to avoid oil cooler issues; International had significantly fewer problems in the VT365s running a Cat EC-1 rated ELC coolant. Generally suspected that high temps in the EGR cooler cause silicate precipitation that clogs the plates.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:03 PM
Azryael
Elder User
Okay, my neighbor works for Cat, so he may be able to get me some stuff cheaper than the local stores.

On average, how many gallons am I looking for after a flush? I know there will still be some distilled water in the block after a good flush, so starting with some concentrate and then diluting with distilled seems to be my best bet. How many gallons of pure concentrate should I get?

I read somewhere it takes roughly 4 gallons (diluted) to fill the system back up on these motors.

Old 06-07-2018, 11:30 PM
texastech_diesel
Post Fiend
About 20 gallons of distilled to flush it to straight water. Then add 3.5 gallons of concentrated ELC. Top it off with water. Don't use 50/50 as part of the flush, but you can mix the last half gallon of concentrate with distilled water and make a spare gallon.

The system is 7 gallons, so 3.5 of concentrate plus the straight water in the block works out to a 50/50 mix. You don't need a higher concentration than that living where it's so warm.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...nge-101-a.html\

Put a Fumoto valve in the driver's side block drain (and maybe the passenger side too). Makes life a whole lot easier in the future if you need to drop a gallon of coolant or so for a t-stat, fan clutch, or even replacing the FICM to move the degas bottle over.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ain-valve.html

Old 06-08-2018, 12:01 AM
Azryael
Elder User
Yeah, wasn't planning on using 50/50 as I know it puts the concentration out of whack.

Truck was supposed to be delivered today, but couldn't get a competent tow truck driver to bring it up. Makes me wish I had a trailer as I'd have just gone and gotten it weeks ago.

New FICM is here, and I'm getting it a new degas bottle, as the old one was tossed aside by the previous "mechanic" and is looking questionable after sitting out in the bed of the truck in the hot TX sun for at least a year.

I will have the option to buy this truck at some point, but it all depends on how it turns out. If it's just some simple TLC and some cosmetics, it may prove to be worth it. If not, I don't want a problem child on my hands. I will ask to see the paperwork on the motor work to verify what's been done in terms of the issues the 6.0 had, but being an '07, I'm sure it's the most of refined out of the factory anyhow.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:21 AM
texastech_diesel
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Azryael View Post
so starting with some concentrate and then diluting with distilled seems to be my best bet. .
Yeah, I don't know why I read that as using 50/50. You're good to go with 3.5 gal of concentrate then topping with distilled for a day or two. The correct maximum cold fill line is actually the min line stamped into the degas; Ford figured out a good bit of their puking problems weren't EGR coolers or head gaskets, but just simply not enough expansion room in the degas bottle.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:37 AM
Azryael
Elder User
All good, it happens!

Good to know on the fill line too.

I'm really excited to get this going so I can drive it.

Old 06-10-2018, 12:35 PM
Azryael
Elder User
Well it finally got dropped off this morning and I've started tearing into it. Looks like there's more missing than I thought.

Something is missing from the passenger side head:

And there seems to be another module missing that's supposed to sit on the driver's side fender:

I'm not too versed on these motors yet, but I'll get there with everyone's help.

Right now I'm cleaning up the battery trays and the degas bottle before I look for anything else that may be missing. I was hoping to get it running today after a coolant flush and oil change, but with these missing components, I don't think I'll be getting there.

I can also see from this angle that the thermostat housing is missing, and I don't see it in the truck:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '07 6.0 Super Duty Revival

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.