2015 Platinum Stolen Tailgate - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

2015 Platinum Stolen Tailgate

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 05-12-2018, 05:54 AM
Capt.Schenk
Senior User
Capt.Schenk is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

My tailgate was stolen. I had the Pop&Lock and the Master Lock hinge lock, and was backed up against a concrete wall in a secured parking garage. The guys mustíve REALLY wanted it.

Like me the title says, I have a 2015 Platinum. The insurance check is on its way, so I bought a replacement on eBay. The replacement is from a 2016 Platinum.

The crooks cut the wire harness rather than unplugging it. I removed the wire loom, and the photo attached shows what I have leftover to work with.

Is there an entire wire harness I should purchase to correct this issue, or is there a pigtail that I can connect to these wires? Will the 2015 wires I have match the wires on a 2016 tailgate? Any other suggestions for securing my new tailgate?

Old 05-12-2018, 08:00 AM
The Bone
Elder User
The Bone has a good reputation on FTE.The Bone has a good reputation on FTE.
Wow thats incredible. To bad you didn't get a shot off.

Old 05-12-2018, 08:03 AM
4Wheelgreg
Junior User
4Wheelgreg is starting off with a positive reputation.
That sucks ... I allways do the old hose clamp on the one side of the gate hinge and if you want to be tricky clock with hose clamp while someone is holding the gate supported halfway open that way they have to do the same to get the clamp loose .

Old 05-12-2018, 12:17 PM
slorider
Senior User
slorider is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Capt.Schenk View Post
My tailgate was stolen. I had the Pop&Lock and the Master Lock hinge lock, and was backed up against a concrete wall in a secured parking garage. The guys mustíve REALLY wanted it.
That's amazing, with two locks they really did want it. How did they get the tailgate open to remove the Master hinge lock with the Pop&Lock locking the tailgate closed?

Old 05-12-2018, 02:58 PM
Nipperdog
Elder User
Nipperdog is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
That has been a Concern of mine too. I always back up tight to the Garage Door Since my 2016 F250 wont fit inside my Garage. I wonder if the Parking Garage where the Theft Occurred had Video Cameras.

Old 05-13-2018, 08:59 AM
polarlys
Senior User
polarlys is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm not sure it will work when / if needed but from advise posted here on the forum some time ago I put a SS hose clamp on the right side hinge on mine. Like most preventive measures it probably won't stop the prepared or determined thief but the casual opportunist ..... maybe. At least they will have to have a tool with them. But then again maybe it does work I still have mine.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:18 PM
97-psd
Posting Guru
97-psd has a good reputation on FTE.97-psd has a good reputation on FTE.
Ya know, that guy would’ve probably put less effort into just buying a tailgate. Sorry for your luck man

Old 05-15-2018, 09:44 AM
Chuck-B
Elder User
Chuck-B is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Chuck-B is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I've been following this thread since it started. I can't believe they would have gotten the thing off without damaging it. If it had 2 theft deterrent devices on it and was backed up against the wall I don't get how they could have gotten the thing off without damaging something (besides cutting the wires). And don't get why they cut the wires. Defeating both theft deterrent devices just unplugging the wire would be so much simpler. Just seems odd to me.

Old 05-16-2018, 12:59 PM
Capt.Schenk
Senior User
I'm still puzzled as to how they got it off. They unplugged the Pop & Lock, but didn't unplug the tailgate harness. They may have used a battery to unlock the Pop & Lock, but I have not idea how they got around the Master Lock hinge lock. My insurance agent says there are YouTube videos showing how to work around the hinge lock, but I haven't searched for them yet.

Old 05-17-2018, 11:46 AM
nico963
Posting Guru
nico963 has a great reputation on FTE.nico963 has a great reputation on FTE.nico963 has a great reputation on FTE.nico963 has a great reputation on FTE.nico963 has a great reputation on FTE.
Just had my local dealer lose 12 platinum tailgates to theft.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:14 PM
nuctrooper
Elder User
nuctrooper has a good reputation on FTE.nuctrooper has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by nico963 View Post
Just had my local dealer lose 12 platinum tailgates to theft.
That's bold! Hopefully that have good video camera coverage of it that can at least lead to an arrest.
Always a tricky conversation for those of us that run Truck Campers. I don't want my tailgate to be so easy to take off that it can be readily stolen. I also take it off and on about once a month when loading the camper, so I don't want it so tough that it takes me an hour to do. Maybe a guard dog in the bed...

Old 05-19-2018, 01:56 PM
Army RET
Elder User
Army RET has a great reputation on FTE.Army RET has a great reputation on FTE.Army RET has a great reputation on FTE.Army RET has a great reputation on FTE.Army RET has a great reputation on FTE.
My original tailgate has been sitting up in my garage since new. In its place is a less valuable 5th wheel tailgate.
I'll swap them back at trade in time.

Old 05-21-2018, 01:49 PM
Overkill2
Senior User
Overkill2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sorry to hear about your loss, Capt. Schenk. It's just amazing to me that these *******s are that slick. x2 about not being able to get a shot off. It amazes me that YouTube is now censoring gun videos, but if they allow videos on how to steal a tailgate, that's just messed up.

Ok, I checked YouTube and found this on the first page:

And here's the site for the Gate Keeper: Just FYI

Tailgate Theft Prevention, get a Gate Keeper

Old 05-21-2018, 02:28 PM
Capt.Schenk
Senior User
I may try the Gate Keeper. This is the lock I had: https://www.masterlock.com/personal-use/product/8253DAT Because I have the Platinum package, the insurance claim was a hair under $5,400.