Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you run 18 year old oil?

Old 05-19-2018, 07:58 AM
Jaime74656
Another cautionary tale
Jaime74656 is a name known to allJaime74656 is a name known to allJaime74656 is a name known to allJaime74656 is a name known to allJaime74656 is a name known to allJaime74656 is a name known to all
i would use it for something, but what ould honestly depend on what the test would say...

Old 06-04-2018, 10:09 PM
z31freakify
Post Fiend
z31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to behold
Still havent received a notification or anything wondering what happened? Ill call in the AM to see what happened.

Old 06-05-2018, 06:10 AM
Walleye Hunter
Postmaster
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for keep us informed. I was at an auction on Saturday and they had a couple of cases of old oil in the lineup. So old it was in the old cylindrical cardboard cans. It was not in my viscosity so I didn't even have to think about it...but I did think about this thread.

Old 06-05-2018, 02:24 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
So old it was in the old cylindrical cardboard cans. It was not in my viscosity so I didn't even have to think about it...
What brand? What did it end up at? You probably should have bought it, just from a collector standpoint, flip it and make some beer money if nothing else. Petroliana has a pretty good following, I've seen a single (full, unopened) quart in the old style cans of certain brands go for $75+ on that auction site. This case went for $61, not enough to retire on, but what the hell.

Name:  photo174.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  628.5 KB

Old 06-05-2018, 04:28 PM
Walleye Hunter
Postmaster
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Tedster9 View Post
What brand? What did it end up at? You probably should have bought it, just from a collector standpoint, flip it and make some beer money if nothing else. Petroliana has a pretty good following, I've seen a single quart in the old style cans of certain brands go for $75+ on that auction site. This case went for $61, not enough to retire on, but what the hell.

Attachment 261005
Funny you'd post that...it was Valvoline oil 40 wt in dairy cases, I think there were 12 qts in each of two cases, maybe 16. I can't tell you what it went for but that stuff was going cheap. I have disciplined myself to not bringing home stuff I don't need, can't use or can't move quickly, there was also about an 18" radial arm saw on a wheeled platform that went no bid, I could have had it for a buck.

Old 06-06-2018, 01:30 PM
sunuvabug
Elder User
sunuvabug is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.sunuvabug is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I haven't changed the oil in my riding mower for 9 years. Oil was very black but engine ran smoothly. I decided to change it with 20 year old, brand name, dino oil I found on Kijiji (like CL) for a really cheap price. I figured old, clean oil is better than old, dirty oil. The "new" 5W-30 oil was sealed in their original quart containers. The oil looked good, smelled good, felt fine, pured smoothly and even tasted good so I used it. I'll let you know in a couple of years if I did any damage to my Kohler Comamnd 16 HP engine. So far ... so good after about 10 hours run tjme. No difference (good or bad) in how it runs or sounds.

Old 06-11-2018, 10:59 AM
z31freakify
Post Fiend
z31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to behold
Ok heres the verdict

So this oil is good to go, meaning that oil doesnt loose any properrys with the years.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:02 AM
Bill Kay
Senior User
Bill Kay is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Bill Kay is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Well that certainly removes any doubt. Now we all know. Thanks for posting this Adam.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:06 AM
Bonanza35
Post Fiend
Bonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to behold
That's what I would of thought as long as it was sealed the whole time!

Old 06-11-2018, 11:20 AM
sunuvabug
Elder User
sunuvabug is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.sunuvabug is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thank you for closing the loop on this issue.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:49 AM
Walleye Hunter
Postmaster
Thanks for checking that out.

Old 06-11-2018, 12:33 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
Is that cool or what? If you've perused the BITOG website, you'll find some seriously OCD wackjobs. Not everyone, but they have a few. Post your results there, should be good for some entertainment. They may need counseling and therapy.

Old 06-11-2018, 03:10 PM
Sous
Post Fiend
Sous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant future
So put some sealed oil next to your prepper stash in the basement.

Thanks for the update Adam, that is pretty cool to see even if it is just out of curiosity.

Old 06-11-2018, 03:42 PM
HKusp
Post Fiend
HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.
That is what I was hoping. Thx for posting back.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:18 AM
SaintITC
Posting Guru
SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Tedster9 View Post
Is that cool or what? If you've perused the BITOG website, you'll find some seriously OCD wackjobs. Not everyone, but they have a few. Post your results there, should be good for some entertainment. They may need counseling and therapy.
You were that kid, huh? The one always starting **** in the back of class, getting the other kids in trouble

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Would you run 18 year old oil?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.