2012 F-250 6.7 Powerstroke Non-Responsive throttle when taking off from a stop - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

2012 F-250 6.7 Powerstroke Non-Responsive throttle when taking off from a stop

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 05-11-2018, 03:31 PM
SilentWeld
New User
SilentWeld is starting off with a positive reputation.

Hi all, I have a bit of a conundrum.

My truck is a 2012 F-250 6.7 Powerstroke with 95000 miles. I installed the stage 1 DPF delete kit from Alligator performance using a SCT x4 programmer and the Tyrant tunes about 2 months ago. I have been running the tow tune regularly. Two weeks ago I started the pickup, drove to work and everything was just fine. When I came back out for lunch it started and idled fine but when I put it in gear it bogs the engine down to 400 RPM the battery light and check engine light come on and the throttle is non-responsive but if I held the petal at about half throttle then after about 4 seconds it would squeal the tires and take off. After you get moving it runs just fine down the road with no noticeable issues. However, as soon as you come to a stop, then the throttle is non-responsive again for 3-4 seconds. If you put it in neutral it revs just fine. The issue also seems to be exacerbated when the air conditioner is on (more load on the engine at a stop).

It was throwing the code P0506, which is an engine idle lower than expected code but to my knowledge is not tied to any particular sensor. My research showed that this is typically triggered by an air intake problem so I pulled the intake hose off to check for blockage and also pulled the hose form the air inter cooler to the throttle body. As expected the throttle body was rather dirty on the backside where the EGR and intake mix. I pulled the throttle body and cleaned it. I also inspected the hoses and could not find any problems. This had no effect. I checked the PID for throttle position, thinking that the sensors might be reading improperly but my edge shows that the sensors are sending a signal there just isn't an engine response at a stop. I returned the tuning to stock to see if this had an effect but of course it goes into limp mode. I was able to drive it around the block (with very little power) but the throttle was still non responsive. The next day I started the pickup and found that it acted normal until it was shut off and restarted at which time the throttle was again non responsive.

I got frustrated and took it to ford. They had it for 3 days doing diagnostics and then they told me that the EGR valve was stuck open dumping exhaust gas into the intake. Since the tune shuts the EGR off I elected to do an EGR delete from No Limit Manufacturing. I pulled the entire cooler, installed the bypass plate on the coolant and the block off plates on the intake and the exhaust. Went for a test drive but again as soon as you shut it off and start it again its non-responsive. I called Alligator performance to see if they have ever hear of this and they suggested I unplug the throttle body. I did so, it had no effect. I took it back to ford to see if they had any other thoughts and they said that during their diagnostics it indicated it needed a PCM. I have previously replaced the PCM as it was unable to control the fan and caused overheating when pulling a trailer. Part is under warranty so I asked them to replace it, however, they think it is unlikely to be the cause so they continued with diagnostics. Now they are telling me they think it is a flap on the inner intake that is stuck and causing the issue. I am not really sure what they are talking about but I am skeptical that this could be a mechanical issue as it only occurs after the pickup has been started and shutoff once.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this or have any suggestions on what to try next?

Thanks for the help!

Old 05-11-2018, 07:56 PM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
sounds to me like your tuner, even though you have taken it back to stock and back.

Can they send you another tuner?

Old 05-11-2018, 08:29 PM
SilentWeld
New User
If it was the tuner wouldn't it have started immediately after I uploaded the tune?

Regardless I did called Alligator Performance today and visited with them about the issues again. They want to talk with their tuner and see if he has ever hear of this. They also said they might be able to get me another tuner to see if that changes anything.

I also went back to the ford dealer and worked with the mechanic. Oddly enough when I pulled the hose from the air intercooler to throttle body the delay goes away. In fact everything works fine minus the fact that I don't have any boost... Very odd.

It certainly seems like an electrical problem. I am wondering if it is a bad PCM given that it isn't throwing a code.

I will see what happens with Alligator and report back.

Thanks for the reply Senix!

Old 05-11-2018, 08:32 PM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
hope it works out.

So no more codes other than what you said previously? How is the maf sensor? Look ok?

Old 05-11-2018, 08:38 PM
SilentWeld
New User
The only code is the P0506. I know that ford tested the MAF sensor and they said that it was ok... Is there a good way that I can test it myself?

Old 05-11-2018, 08:46 PM
senix
not that I know of, just a visual.

Old 05-11-2018, 08:48 PM
cangim
Postmaster
cangim has a good reputation on FTE.cangim has a good reputation on FTE.cangim has a good reputation on FTE.
Hmm, subscribing. My brothers 6.0 we removed the butterfly off intake as it was closing once warm, to this day do not know why but truck runs strong.

with tube out response is there? What all is included when you say tube out? AIT out as well? My thought was blown cold side tube... then reread the tube out statement

Old 05-11-2018, 08:54 PM
SilentWeld
New User
Good thought cangim.

I forgot to mention that I pulled the throttle body and removed the disk from the shaft. So I am confident that it is not the throttle body.

I removed the clip from the cold throttle body and just propped the hose up and to the side. Essentially the engine is pulling air directly through the throttle body and the boost from the turbo is blowing out under the hood. IE there is no boost going to the engine but the throttle delay is gone.

Old 05-11-2018, 09:05 PM
cangim
Postmaster
cangim has a good reputation on FTE.cangim has a good reputation on FTE.cangim has a good reputation on FTE.
Turbo stuck?

Old 05-11-2018, 09:21 PM
SilentWeld
New User
With the engine running and the tube from the intercooler to the throttle body disconnected you can feel flow from the turbo out of the tube.

I had considered that there might be something wrong with the VGT inside the turbo that is causing an issue... but wouldn't Ford be able to diagnose that fairly easily?

Old 05-12-2018, 05:39 AM
senix
that would be easy and there would also have been codes set for the turbo.

Old 05-13-2018, 02:50 PM
jpennell1
New User
jpennell1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Seems like possibly a block in the intercooler?

Old 05-14-2018, 06:53 PM
SilentWeld
New User
Ford called today and said that they installed the "street" tune in the truck and it is running just fine. When I arrived to pick it up all it took was for me to shift it in to gear and it exhibited the same problem... Why they didn't do thorough testing before calling me is a mystery. I went back in and they said there was nothing more they could do for me. After some coaxing they agreed to warranty the PCM and see if that fixes it but the part is 3-5 days out. In the mean time I am considering returning everything to stock to see if has something to do with the mods or if it has another problem.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:37 PM
SilentWeld
New User
Update... So I got the DPF and reinstalled, put the truck back to stock and gave it a try. Truck is a bit sluggish but I think that is mostly likely due to the EGR still being deleted. Throttle lag seems to be gone entirely. Certainly points back to a bad set of tunes. I am going to call alligator tomorrow and see what they can do for me. So glad I finally found a way to get it to run again.

I have been running the Tyrant tunes. Does anyone have experience with Gearhead or other tuners? I am not sure if I should go back with Tyrant, switch to Gearhead or just put it back to stock and leave it alone...

Thoughts?

Old 05-14-2018, 09:44 PM
cangim
Postmaster
Originally Posted by SilentWeld View Post
Update... So I got the DPF and reinstalled, put the truck back to stock and gave it a try. Truck is a bit sluggish but I think that is mostly likely due to the EGR still being deleted. Throttle lag seems to be gone entirely. Certainly points back to a bad set of tunes. I am going to call alligator tomorrow and see what they can do for me. So glad I finally found a way to get it to run again.
do you have initial tunes saved or backed up? Could try an update on X4, and reload copied files? Earlier indication is tow tune regularly, how often are you changing?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: