Sponsored by: Moser

New to me F150

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 12:16 PM
foolhardly
Trailering
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile New to me F150

2014 Ford F-150 4WD SuperCab 163" XL Just got this truck. 140000 miles on the 5.0 hope I hope am not sorry! Mileage is scary, I no nothing about this new stuff, my 93 7.3 IDI is still going strong but the body, 23 years in Minnesota has taken its toll. That's what drew me to this truck, body and under carriage are clean. Have to add the factory brake controller, seems easy enough, hopefully that's all I need for the near future gave up half my life savings for this thing. I don't know why I am posting this, looking for some encouraging words or helpful tips maybe. Thanks for looking.

Old 05-11-2018, 12:22 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Congrats on the new truck!
Originally Posted by foolhardly
Have to add the factory brake controller, seems easy enough, hopefully that's all I need for the near future gave up half my life savings for this thing.
The factory TBC will need to be activated through software. You can have a dealer do that OR save some $ and get yourself a Forscan adapter and program it yourself. I haven't done it myself, but there are some walk-throughs out there

Old 05-12-2018, 08:02 AM
eriebasin
Senior User
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Welcome to the forum; congratulations on your new truck. I'm sure you'll love it. There is lots of good info here; should any questions arise you find lots of help. Enjoy your new vehicle and post a pic.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:13 AM
foolhardly
Trailering
I have been looking on the internet for brake controllers Taska has one, Part # BL3Z-19H332-AA it says tow/max package, is that because it needs the computer flash or is there another unit? I found a pig tail in the glove box that is for connecting an after market controller, but I would prefer the factory one. There is a tow haul button and I have both 4-pin and 7-pin plugs so I believe it should be ready for the control unit. Is the 7-pin plug completely wired on the truck side, I'm thinking battery charge wire as well as brakes, I see a fuse slot for the battery charge circuit but no fuse. One last question, for this post, there are many listings for this part and many price points I do want the factory unit any input would be appreciated. I put over 300 miles on last weekend I think I might like this truck!

Old 05-15-2018, 03:06 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have been looking on the internet for brake controllers Taska has one, Part # BL3Z-19H332-AA it says tow/max package, is that because it needs the computer flash or is there another unit? I found a pig tail in the glove box that is for connecting an after market controller, but I would prefer the factory one. There is a tow haul button and I have both 4-pin and 7-pin plugs so I believe it should be ready for the control unit. Is the 7-pin plug completely wired on the truck side, I'm thinking battery charge wire as well as brakes, I see a fuse slot for the battery charge circuit but no fuse. One last question, for this post, there are many listings for this part and many price points I do want the factory unit any input would be appreciated. I put over 300 miles on last weekend I think I might like this truck!
I bought my factory brake controller off of Ebay, buy it now from a seller in Tennessee. I paid $121 for it, and Ford priced me $255.
You should find the factory plug located under the dash, just to the right of the OBD2 connector taped up to a bracket there. Plug it in to the controller, and you should have/need a 30amp fuse, and a relay to ad. You do not, need that wire harness, that's to ad an aftermarket brake controller. It took me less than 15 minutes to install the controller. Only tool you'll need is a 7mm (I believe) socket or nut driver to remove the cover for the instrument cluster, and to remove the 4 screws holding in the cubby hole, that's where you'll ad your controller.
Yes the trailer Brake Module will have to be activated.
There is a free download at What's new that you can download, and you will need the "Extended License, and an adapter for either your computer, Iphone, or android device.
I'm not a computer guy, so I have an appointment in two day's for a local dealer to activate my controller. One hour labor...$100. But I gave $130 less for the controller, than they wanted.

Unk Bob

Old 05-16-2018, 10:05 AM
tiny1
Moderator & CL
Received 304 Likes on 279 Posts
Originally Posted by ubereal2
I bought my factory brake controller off of Ebay, buy it now from a seller in Tennessee. I paid $121 for it, and Ford priced me $255.
You should find the factory plug located under the dash, just to the right of the OBD2 connector taped up to a bracket there. Plug it in to the controller, and you should have/need a 30amp fuse, and a relay to ad. You do not, need that wire harness, that's to ad an aftermarket brake controller. It took me less than 15 minutes to install the controller. Only tool you'll need is a 7mm (I believe) socket or nut driver to remove the cover for the instrument cluster, and to remove the 4 screws holding in the cubby hole, that's where you'll ad your controller.
Yes the trailer Brake Module will have to be activated.
There is a free download at What's new that you can download, and you will need the "Extended License, and an adapter for either your computer, Iphone, or android device.
I'm not a computer guy, so I have an appointment in two day's for a local dealer to activate my controller. One hour labor...$100. But I gave $130 less for the controller, than they wanted.

Unk Bob
I was at my dealer on Saturday for an oil change and asked about the factory controller. I was quoted $250 for the factory controller, installation and programming.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:45 PM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
$250 is fair for parts and labor if you don't want to spend the time and money to do it yourself.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:29 PM
tiny1
Moderator & CL
Originally Posted by zxwut?
$250 is fair for parts and labor if you don't want to spend the time and money to do it yourself.
I could install it myself, but when the costs are added up I will just have them do the entire thing.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:25 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tiny1
I was at my dealer on Saturday for an oil change and asked about the factory controller. I was quoted $250 for the factory controller, installation and programming.
That's a way better deal than what I was told. It took me less than 15 minutes to install the controller. I did download Forscan and got the basic license, then found out that it takes the Extended License to change factory settings. I have an appointment this morning at another Ford dealer that will activate the controller for $90. so I went that rout since we're moving tomorrow and I need that controller working.

Unk Bob

Old 05-17-2018, 09:58 AM
foolhardly
Trailering
Now I'm thinking about a remote start. Might as well do it at the same time as they both need the re flash. Might get one charge at the dealer. Thanks for all the input.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:20 AM
tiny1
Moderator & CL
That's a way better deal than what I was told. It took me less than 15 minutes to install the controller. I did download Forscan and got the basic license, then found out that it takes the Extended License to change factory settings. I have an appointment this morning at another Ford dealer that will activate the controller for $90. so I went that rout since we're moving tomorrow and I need that controller working.

Unk Bob
I was adding the numbers up in my head from what you had mentioned previously and when they told me that price, my decision was made.

Old 05-20-2018, 01:57 PM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unk Bob
The extended license doesn't cost anything. You just email them, and they send the license.

Old 05-22-2018, 12:29 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

2014 Ford F-150 4WD SuperCab 163" XL Just got this truck. 140000 miles on the 5.0 hope I hope am not sorry! Mileage is scary, I no nothing about this new stuff, my 93 7.3 IDI is still going strong but the body, 23 years in Minnesota has taken its toll. That's what drew me to this truck, body and under carriage are clean. Have to add the factory brake controller, seems easy enough, hopefully that's all I need for the near future gave up half my life savings for this thing. I don't know why I am posting this, looking for some encouraging words or helpful tips maybe. Thanks for looking.

While that mileage may be high for a truck that's only 4 years old, by 2014 the 5.0 was well established and Ford had all of the early bugs pretty well engineered out of it. If you're taking her to the dealer to have the TBC and remote start installed, spend a couple hundred and have them flush/refill the transmission fluid and transfer case fluid. Over the next year, have all fluids replaced. After that this truck should treat you pretty good unless it has been seriously abused in its former life. How much of the history do you know on it? Car Fax is good but it doesn't always tell you everything. As an example, 2 years ago I bought a used, low-mile 2012 XL that had apparently been worked much harder than I initially suspected as within 8 months I had to drop a ton of money on front brakes. A couple of months ago I had the rear pads replaced, and I'm not even at 50k yet. I practically baby the thing now so I'm hoping to get quite a few more years out of it!

Old 05-23-2018, 09:54 AM
foolhardly
Trailering
Originally Posted by Pgh Rebel
While that mileage may be high for a truck that's only 4 years old, by 2014 the 5.0 was well established and Ford had all of the early bugs pretty well engineered out of it. If you're taking her to the dealer to have the TBC and remote start installed, spend a couple hundred and have them flush/refill the transmission fluid and transfer case fluid. Over the next year, have all fluids replaced. After that this truck should treat you pretty good unless it has been seriously abused in its former life. How much of the history do you know on it? Car Fax is good but it doesn't always tell you everything. As an example, 2 years ago I bought a used, low-mile 2012 XL that had apparently been worked much harder than I initially suspected as within 8 months I had to drop a ton of money on front brakes. A couple of months ago I had the rear pads replaced, and I'm not even at 50k yet. I practically baby the thing now so I'm hoping to get quite a few more years out of it!
Thanks, that's what I'm hoping. I really know nothing about previous life, got it from a broker. Did see a car fax but have never really believed they are worth a lot. Putting the remote start on hold for now but ordered the brake switch and will see the dealer once it's installed. Have to find a good dealer, hope thats possible! thanks again for the interest.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:21 AM
Olytlr
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by zxwut?
The extended license doesn't cost anything. You just email them, and they send the license.
^^^^This. Also, if you want to make changes a mobile download is read only. You would need the Forscan download for Windows.