Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

2018 Ford Lariat purchase Debate

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 11:12 AM
Wiggums
Posting Guru
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
I would not consider the moonroof option, that's a deal-breaker for me, heard bad things. Also, my last 3 or 4 cars had moonroof which I never used!

I required: V8 with 4x4, 6.5' bed, 302A, center console with column shifter. MSRP $51,080, Chrome Pkg Discount -$2,000, bought for $39,000. That's $10k off.

I love the 6.5' bed, looks sleek with the shell. My 2012 didn't have it and it was my deepest regret. Sure, I deal with the inconvenience of trying to park but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Most of my driving is 1 or 2 miles so the A/C is either "HI" or "LO". My old car had automatic temperature control.. if it's hot and my thermostat is at where it was last night... 80.. click, click, click... until I get to 60. Annoying! Smart of Ford to use a dial instead.

Old 05-13-2018, 12:19 PM
Black Ford XLT
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Yes understood , to me a moon roof is a waste of $$$ -just my taste and not knocking others--My opinion-Leather-don't care for it , I do want the tow pkg ,3.5 turbo,36gallon tank -I have the other half (wife) who loves leather, no moon roof etc-etc.....TR

Old 05-13-2018, 03:24 PM
Wiggums
Posting Guru
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Geez, you didn't mention the wife's role in the decision-making process, everything everybody has said goes out of the window.

Okay, I'm starting all over again. Go back to her and ask what she wants. If she says, "okay!" with an eye roll, remember, it has to be with eye roll, that means it's "no."

They're so hard to decipher sometimes.

Old 05-13-2018, 05:20 PM
tree10
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been married for 40 years (yes to the same woman) and there are two phrases that should be taught in school, perhaps in a gender specific health class.

If your significant other says "I don't care" or "do what you want" and you in blind faith follow that advice. You are Doomed!
I strongly suggest you look at a truck with leather and no Moon roof.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:34 PM
scott91370
Fleet Mechanic
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by GABAR
From 2015 to the current 2018 F150, "some but not all" owners who have the pano moonroof have had problems with rattles, leaks, and other issues that i`ve read about on numerous postings that are easily searchable.
This is it exactly. The track on mine has bent/broken every time. They have supposedly made revisions, and the service manager said mine was the new style, but it has happened again. This time only about 3,000 miles (2 months) into the fix. Hoping since it was fixed and Ford warranty on repairs is now 12mo/unlimited miles they will cover it - but I'm not sure they will since the last time it was repaired it was under the 36k warranty.
It is awesome hen it works, but I don't think I would take the gamble if I bought a new truck today unless they discounted the complete price of it off the truck itself. YEAH RIGHT!

Old 05-13-2018, 07:57 PM
Black Ford XLT
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Tree, I am with you close to 40 here-Gulp Gulp, only reason I am including her, she will drive it from time to time-(wont touch my other trucks)Too many Fords in this driveway, I buy and never sell (ha ha).Only thing she likes is Leather-rest is ok-- For me must have- FX4 3.5Turbo,Crewcab, Towing and 36 gallon tank and I Hate salemen/saleswomen.Xlt packages in leather are????TR

Old 05-14-2018, 06:46 AM
tree10
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was actually in the same boat as you. But the difference was the AWD. I am in rural Ontario and we get some long messy winter's I know you can use 4H but if my wife was driving it would never happen. So she needs AWD only on the Lariat. It's hard for me to comment on value as our Lariat packages are different. Canadian 500a base Lariats come with what I wanted (except heated steering wheel!). The only options I added were HDPP/MTTP, Tailgate Step, and wheel linners. It was a good fit I ordered the truck wanted and could also add the HDPP (at very little cost).
I know this very subjective but to me the 2018 Light Camel interior looks amazing I really like the Chocolate brown inserts and steering wheel. I do wish the seats were a couple of shades darker though.

Old 05-14-2018, 11:13 AM
Lebowskii
Tuned
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by CR172
The cloth seats are much cooler in summer and MUCH warmer in winter.
I agree. Have you ever sat on a leather seat while wearing shorts after the car/truck has been out in 90 degree sun for a while? It's pretty damn hot. If all you care about is looks then get the leather....

Old 05-14-2018, 12:27 PM
scott91370
Fleet Mechanic
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts
Mine are quite fine - cooled seat are great.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:02 PM
TJReams
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Yep, remote start your Lariat 5 minutes Leather seats are cool by the time you get in! Heated and Cooled seats and Climate control, plus the all wheel drive mode. I love my Lariats!

Old 05-14-2018, 09:16 PM
jimmy-six
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
After 3 XLT's we ordered a Lariat and are very happy with it. It's also our first vehicle with leather, we are 73 and been married 51 yrs so far. So far my only interior complaint is reaching for the fan control as leaving it on a set setting doesn't seem to work yet for me. The cooling/heated seats have been great so far and buckets seat were in all of the trucks which we both like. Having a gray interior with race red was considered wired by our fleet guy who we ordered from but he liked it too when he saw it.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:27 PM
FORD COASTIE
Supporter of Patriotism
Received 2,363 Likes on 1,709 Posts
I live in Louisiana, and I never have problems with the leather seats being too hot. I remote start the truck and use my cooled seats. When I was looking for my truck, I made the dealer find me a Lariat without the moon roof.

Old 05-14-2018, 11:51 PM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
It’s interesting to see how unpopular the panoramic moon roof is becoming. Here in South Texas I can only Imagine how hot the truck would get inside with those giant glass panels for a roof.

Old 05-15-2018, 12:20 PM
TJReams
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by JKBrad
It’s interesting to see how unpopular the panoramic moon roof is becoming. Here in South Texas I can only Imagine how hot the truck would get inside with those giant glass panels for a roof.
Actually with the cover slide closed I never noticed any diffeence between it and the trucks I've had with out a moon roof. Now leave the cover open and yes even though the glass is tinted it gets HOT! Even driving with the AC on the sun coming though is hot rarely used the thing except during our couple weeks of spring and fall. Also one of the reasons I ordered the 2018 with out it and it's a $1,200. option I didn't need.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:18 PM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by TJReams
Actually with the cover slide closed I never noticed any diffeence between it and the trucks I've had with out a moon roof. Now leave the cover open and yes even though the glass is tinted it gets HOT! Even driving with the AC on the sun coming though is hot rarely used the thing except during our couple weeks of spring and fall. Also one of the reasons I ordered the 2018 with out it and it's a $1,200. option I didn't need.
How you didnt notice the heat with the panoramic and the shade closed is beyond me. My 2016 would roast anyone out of the cab with the shade drawn. Of course at 6'-5", my head is at the roof. Even with air on for a trip after a few hours, touch the black shade and it was hot. I can't figure out why the top side isn't reflective to reflect the heat back out.

Quick Reply: 2018 Ford Lariat purchase Debate