Possible new excursion owner, help me decide which engine to get

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 07:06 AM
Hellbender75
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible new excursion owner, help me decide which engine to get

Hi all,
So I'm looking into buying a ford excursion and I'm looking into the 7.3 vs bulletproofed 6.0 debate. I've read a ton of info on here and other sites regarding the pros and cons of both the 7.3 and 6.0 engines. I don't want a v10 as I want the performance that comes with a diesel. I'm downsizing from a toyota work truck and a pleasure only 97' gmc yukon into one vehicle and my new vehicle has to be both a pleasure and work truck. For pleasure this truck has to have lots of room for camping and long road trips and it has to be capable enough for mild to moderate offroad use like fire roads and the like. It also has to be capable of lots of power to satisfy the performance guy in me although that part can come in stages. Ultimately I'd like to break 450-500 flywheel (so about 400-450 rwhp) horsepower someday and be extremely reliable and last a couple hundred thousand miles. This truck will never be taken to the track or street raced but I want to have some fun here and there on the street or out on the dirt and be able to be faster then most other vehicles out there when I need to be. For work I drive about a 20-25 mile commute thats about 80% fwy miles then I make about ten 20-30 min stops on my route (I'm a pool guy) before driving back home. I do this 4 - 5 days a week. I was going to buy a lbz duramax before realizing that I could get an Excursion with a diesel! I prefer SUV's over pickups. So what engine would you suggest for my situation and why? Do you guys consider a bulletproofed 6.0 as reliable as a 7.3? Should i consider all years 7.3 or just the 2000 that comes with forged rods? If looking at a bulletproofed 6.0 should I only look at the last year 2005 model for the most reliability possible with this engine? Thanks for your input and helping me decide!

Aaron,

Old 05-10-2018, 08:30 AM
SmackDaddy
Postmaster
Received 234 Likes on 161 Posts
If you don’t mind shelling out some cash a 6.0 would meet all those needs. I absolutely love mine. I bought it for $15k rust free with 150k on the clock and had already been studded and had a brand new oil cooler. I put about $7k in parts alone in her and did my own wrenching and she was running perfectly. I decided I wanted a little lift and 35” rubber so that meant beefing up the motor. I recently dropped around $12k on a bunch of upgrades and that was all parts, I did the labor solo under my carport. I now have what I wanted from the beginning and only have a few more minor things to do. I’m installing second row buckets, fabbing a beefy rear bumper and having the front and rear bumpers bedlined and pulling off the cladding and bedlining where it was.
A 7.3 is a solid motor but I think finding an Excursion with a 7.3 without a quarter million miles on it will test your patience. You could always just buy the ‘05 Excursion with the Cummins that oldmanfl built if you have the coin!

Old 05-10-2018, 08:41 AM
96firephoenix
Laughing Gas
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
Look for one down in the non-coastal south. Texas, Arizona, New Mexico... They will almost all be rust free, and there's a lot more diesels for sale there compared to the northern states.

Also, be ready for the 6.8 V10 advocates to party in this thread.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:13 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
First off, do not be fooled into thinking that “bullet proof” means the end of engine troubles, many bulletproofed 6.0 repeatedly fail.

If you can afford to either walk away from a catostrophic engine failure or drop 10k at a moments notice into the engine then the 6.0 can be a fun toy but should never be considered a relibable form of daily transportation and no way in hell would I depend on one for my business. That said, yes they make great power and will satisfy the hot rodder in most people.

7.3 can make that power but it really isn’t what they excel at. Moderate power and long life is the reason people buy them.

honestly, the Excursion doesn’t sound like the vehicle for you, maybe a SRT Dodge Durango
stock it has 475 hp 475 tq and does a 12 second 1/4 mile.
Having driven one I can assure you that you will never get that performance and handeling out of an ex.

Old 05-10-2018, 03:13 PM
Hellbender75
Junior User
As far as the 7.3 goes if the truck has 200 - 225k on it when I'm looking at one is that considered too high of mileage to consider for a $14k - $20k truck that otherwise appears problem free? If I can take good care of it I am hoping to find a truck I can put another 100k - 200k on it before rebuilding the motor. No, I don't have enough coin to spend 20k on a truck then sink 10k into it right away to fix a catastrophic engine issue or walk away from it so it has to be as reliable as possible.

Old 05-10-2018, 03:55 PM
loganj01
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
My 7.3 F 350 had 330k on the clock when I sold it and it was running perfectly. A 7.3 is a very reliable engine. You don't need to worry about finding one with forged rods as long as you're not going to push the HP too much. PMR's should be fine up to about 400hp as long as the fuel curve is reasonable at lower rpm. I've never owned a 6.0 so I can't comment there but I spent very little money on engine repairs with my 7.3. Be ready to spend some money upgrading the transmission if you add power. The stock 4R100 is fine for stock power levels but you'll break it if you start beating on it with a 400 hp 7.3. Also beware the 2001 4R100 with the mechanical diode...those tended to be troublesome at times.I don't know what the 5R110 can withstand in stock form...never had one.

Old 05-10-2018, 04:31 PM
DavenTn
Fleet Mechanic
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
OGF... have you thought about Barrett Jackson?

You want go fast HP then the 6.0 is your choice. If you want get up and go with reliability, then 7.3.

Old 05-10-2018, 05:08 PM
ArmyLifer
Fleet Mechanic
Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Hellbender75
As far as the 7.3 goes if the truck has 200 - 225k on it when I'm looking at one is that considered too high of mileage to consider for a $14k - $20k truck that otherwise appears problem free? If I can take good care of it I am hoping to find a truck I can put another 100k - 200k on it before rebuilding the motor. No, I don't have enough coin to spend 20k on a truck then sink 10k into it right away to fix a catastrophic engine issue or walk away from it so it has to be as reliable as possible.
I bought my 2000 7.3 4x4 Ex with just under 170k on it for $16,800. Pretty rust free Texas truck. In the last year I’ve sunk more than $10k into it. Some of that was mods, but a lot of it wasn’t. Cautionary tale...

Old 05-10-2018, 06:36 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
As far as the 7.3 goes if the truck has 200 - 225k on it when I'm looking at one is that considered too high of mileage to consider for a $14k - $20k truck that otherwise appears problem free? If I can take good care of it I am hoping to find a truck I can put another 100k - 200k on it before rebuilding the motor. .
the Navistar 7.3 T444E has a B10 of 200,000 mile and a B50 of 350,000 miles. those are mfg published numbers, many of them go well beyond that especially when run at stock hp in light duty vechiles like the F250 and Excursion.
proper maintance is critical.

Old 05-11-2018, 02:57 AM
Hellbender75
Junior User
pirate4x4: I'd love an srt durango but I don't have the coin for it haha. Plus, I don't think it would stand up to my offroad and camping needs. Also, thank you for the B10 and B50 info.

Logan: Thanks for the engine info, the more I look into it the more I think that breaking into the 500 Hp window is a very long way off. I will stick to a 300-400 rwhp build if I get one. Would you guys say that would be a reasonable build to attain to have some fun with yet keep very reliable?

Dave: what is "OGF?" Who or what is Barrett Jackson?

Thanks for everyone who has taken the time to respond...I'm still researching and reading, reading, reading!

Old 05-11-2018, 06:37 AM
loganj01
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
400 hp is pretty easy to get from a 7.3. It won't be cheap. The most reliable 7.3 you'll ever own is one that's bone stock but it will also be the most boring one. There are lots of gimmicks out there that are designed to take your money rather than make power but you seem like a guy who does his research.
Mine was stock except for a 6637 air filter, 4" exhaust, and a chip. It would light the tires from a stop and towed a 10k trailer easily. I think if you added some stage 2 single shot injectors, a good turbo, and possibly an upgraded HPOP, you'd have a ride that was pretty inspiring to drive.
You will need to address the transmission when you add all this power. The torque converters that come factory on the 7.3's are nothing to write home about either.
Very important...you probably already know this...is monitoring temps. If you do nothing else, get an EGT gauge and a trans temp gauge before you even put a chip on the engine. An aggressive tune can turn a piston into a molten puddle very quickly.
My research on the PMR's indicated that they were OK at power levels below 400hp as long as the fuel curve was set such that it didn't come on too aggressively at low rpm. That's when they tend to break...at low rpm and max torque output. They just weren't designed correctly for the 7.3's...6.0's also have PMR's and you never hear of them breaking.

Old 05-11-2018, 10:16 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Hi all,

Ultimately I'd like to break 450-500 flywheel (so about 400-450 rwhp) horsepower someday and be extremely reliable and last a couple hundred thousand miles.

Aaron,
dynos are good for 2 things; tuning and bench racing.

since we are not currently tuning let’s start off our bench racing with the understanding that given the excursions large and heavy drivetrain you will never achieve a 10% parasitic loss from the crank to the rear wheels.

I’d like to see some figures from a dynoed Excursion but I’d guess the loss to be in the 25-35% range.

my only Dyno time on a high Horsepower 4X4 was my LS3 powered race car, th400,Atlas, D60 on 40’s
500hp at the crank and 330 RWHP

Old 05-12-2018, 07:40 PM
Bhead
Freshman User
MHO - 6.0L Will take care of your needs and give you more options and greater power with more reliability. Dont worry about a BD engine mods, at the right price you can do anything. The 6.0 Excursion is quieter and more comfortable as well as deal out more towing capacity and reliability. As I said IMHO.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:17 AM
Hellbender75
Junior User
Thank you everyone for your time and help with my research into getting a new to me excursion. Looks like I still have some reading to do and then it will be time to make a decision. Hopefully soon I'll be joining your ranks of a happy excursion owner!

Old 05-18-2018, 07:45 AM
rock2610d
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I know a guy that has a 500 hp V10 supercharged Excursion for sale with only 112,000 miles on the odometer.

look thru the classifieds for vehicles here on this site.

Quick Reply: Possible new excursion owner, help me decide which engine to get