Notices
1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

73-79 parts interchangeably on 66

Old 05-09-2018, 09:36 PM
jwitty
Senior User
jwitty is starting off with a positive reputation.
73-79 parts interchangeably on 66

A friend just told me that there's a guy he knows that has a dent side he doest care about and would give it away. I want it for the front suspension so I have disc then. Is there anything that interchanges with these trucks in the cab and also would engine and tranny be same config. as 66? (Not sure what engine or trans) thanks

Old 05-09-2018, 10:02 PM
resonateur
Posting Guru
resonateur is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.resonateur is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
There’s a lot of information on that subject here on FTE, but I did the same swap...engine, trans, I beams, discs, power steering box and pump. Power brake booster and valve. I also preferred the foot actuated e brake, so modidied it to fit my 66. There are probably other parts as well.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:41 AM
lauxg
Junior User
lauxg is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a 66 F100 that I am preparing to "fix-up" also. In upgrading to disk front brakes, are the only drop beams that will fit the 66 from 73 to 79s or will later years fit the 66? I also plan on changing the hand E brake to a foot type, is that a major core?
Eventually plan to have a 12 valve cummins for power.

Old 05-21-2018, 12:59 PM
gittinwidit
Elder User
gittinwidit is starting off with a positive reputation.
For interior, seat, steering column, window roll down handles (although incorrect but they work) are about all that is direct bolt on swap from 73-79 back to 66. Exterior, steering gear box, entire front end, front bumper (there again may be incorrect but works) engine and transmission although drive shafts will need shortened due to shorter wheelbase. windshield wipers and wiper motor, body and suspension bushings are same as well but poly new ones are only way to go. A flare side bed will swap if you redrill holes but they are a bit different in appearance.

About it off the top of my head?

Old 05-21-2018, 02:28 PM
sixtyfive_ford
Senior User
sixtyfive_ford is starting off with a positive reputation.
All the parts the others have listed plus: Tailgate bolts right on. 9" rear (F-100/150) is always nice to have for alternate ratios and can bring in some cash. The floorpans/cab mounts are supposed to be the same and can be welded in if yours are bad. Pull out all the goodies from the engine bay like voltage regulator, starter relay, radiator, etc as all these can be great spare parts for the 66. You'll need the brake booster for your disc brakes but it may not work as it could be one of the large diameter ones and you'll need a small diameter booster with a v8 to clear the valve covers.

Old 05-21-2018, 03:10 PM
resonateur
Posting Guru
resonateur is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.resonateur is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Laux:
I did take the footbrake out of the '74 and modified it to replace the handbrake on the '66. Some work involved, depending on how fancy you want to get. Photos here. Used one firewall hole from the hand brake, welded one closed and made one new one. Square box tubing with weld bolts for firewall mounting on the new foot brake and a piece of metal for a spacer, since the firewall is not flat where I wanted to mount it. Weld a tab on, to provide a mounting point on the dash. I make a hole in the floorboard where it meets the firewall so my cable can go downward. I made this hole into the space within the front cab mount, so that the cable will go into the cab mount and exit through the teardrop shaped cover, then under the cab. The only thing I haven't done yet, is I will have to have a custom brake cable made to the correct length with the ends that I need. Neither the original or the one from the '74 will work.

Old 05-26-2018, 09:10 AM
lauxg
Junior User
lauxg is starting off with a positive reputation.
To all;

I appreciate the information. My plans for the 66 are to put a 12 valve cummins and auto transmission in it, restore it to like new condition with several amenities for comfort and ease of use.

I have a 72 F100 currently in progress and hope to have it running by the end of the year and then dig into the 66.