6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Is the truck Regen cycle right?

Old 05-08-2018, 11:19 PM
Boaterguy
Laughing Gas
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
Is the truck Regen cycle right?

Hello all, I have a 2015 F250 4X4 XLT CC. For the last 46K miles, I just drove around in ignorant bliss letting the truck do its own thing while I hadn't a care in the world. The truck was in the dealer for a recall, (code PO4DB, CCV tube), and I asked the mechanic to activate the PID that allows my base cluster to show exhaust filter XX% full. Left the dealer at 90% full.

Couple of days later, 95%, then "exhaust filter full". About 5 miles later, regen started. I drove approximately 25 freeway miles, and the lowest it got was 40% full. Is this normal? I figured a regen would start around the 90% mark, and shouldn't take so long to complete. What should the % full be at when the cycle ends?

Old 05-09-2018, 05:23 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,398 Likes on 995 Posts
a regen will usually occur at the 100% full mark. There could be other times that it would start earlier, especially when towing. You may then hit a mandatory regen based upon miles driven.
There is a fair amount of trucks out here who will never go down to 0% when completing a regen, mine will go to the 0%.

So in your case, when it gets to 100% you can watch it go down to that mark and then most likely it is done. a check of your fuel economy will probably confirm it is finished. That may be normal for your truck.

It should never take 25 miles for a regen. Maybe 10. Mine will take about 5-8 miles for it to completed. I have seen as little as 4 miles to completion.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:09 AM
ssunit1
Laughing Gas
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Agree with Senix, mostly. I have had mine go into regen from 85% to FULL depending on driving circumstances. The lowest I have ever had my Exhaust Filter reading go is down to 15% and it drops 5% every 1-1.5 miles so I'm normally going 12-15 miles to complete the cycle. This is all at highway speed.
I do agree that 25 miles is a long way to go to complete the cycle.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:26 AM
jav_eee
Laughing Gas
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
I guess it depends on what kind of driving you're doing because unloaded at 65 mph mine takes about 20 minutes or so. I've never seen it finish in anything close to or less than 10 minutes. Also, mine usually only gets down to 30%.

Old 05-09-2018, 05:28 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
20 to 25 miles is about average for an active regen length when at 100%. Some people see lower percentages after a regen. Mine only goes to like 20%. On occasions it will go to 15%.

Old 05-10-2018, 03:07 PM
Boaterguy
Laughing Gas
Must just be the nature of this truck. Regen happened again today in the way to work. 11.4 miles and only went from full to 85%. I assume if you don't finish the cycle it doesn't pick up where it left off on the next drive cycle. If it is doing a Regen cycle often, that would explain the less than stellar mileage I am getting with this truck. I wonder if this has anything to do with the reflash Ford did a year ago to fix the "jackhammering" issue.

Old 05-10-2018, 03:55 PM
Tim C
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boaterguy
Must just be the nature of this truck. Regen happened again today in the way to work. 11.4 miles and only went from full to 85%. I assume if you don't finish the cycle it doesn't pick up where it left off on the next drive cycle. If it is doing a Regen cycle often, that would explain the less than stellar mileage I am getting with this truck. I wonder if this has anything to do with the reflash Ford did a year ago to fix the "jackhammering" issue.
I don't have the factory dash activated on my 16 but I do use a scan gauge 2. Mine usually does 20 to 25 miles depending on if I'm in stop and go or on the highway if I'm unloaded, loaded it's much less. I've noticed that it will pick a Regen back up if it hasn't been going too long when shut down. But after its run about 20% of the Regen it won't start back until it's back up to full again.

If I see a Regen has started and I have a little free time I'll take the long way where I'm headed to give it time to run out but only if I'm not in a hurry. Mine usually kicks in between work and home and there's a longer route by about 10 miles I'll take if I have time. It's only once a week or week and a half that mine does it.

Old 05-10-2018, 03:56 PM
Martin6
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
a regen will usually occur at the 100% full mark. There could be other times that it would start earlier, especially when towing. You may then hit a mandatory regen based upon miles driven.
There is a fair amount of trucks out here who will never go down to 0% when completing a regen, mine will go to the 0%.

So in your case, when it gets to 100% you can watch it go down to that mark and then most likely it is done. a check of your fuel economy will probably confirm it is finished. That may be normal for your truck.

It should never take 25 miles for a regen. Maybe 10. Mine will take about 5-8 miles for it to completed. I have seen as little as 4 miles to completion.
All my regens have taken 30+ miles to complete. I'm surprised you're getting a completed regen in 10 miles or less.

Old 05-10-2018, 04:22 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,398 Likes on 995 Posts
I do, mine is also one that will passive regen for many miles...close to 2K when towing.

Old 05-10-2018, 05:18 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
A passive regen is continuous if the EGT on #4 is 700* or higher. It is a much slower process that an active regen. Regardless if you have passive regens, your truck will still regen 500 miles after the last active regen completed.

Old 05-10-2018, 06:12 PM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
There seems to be no rule for regen miles or times. I've had as little as 12 miles and as much as 30 miles for regens. For me, the regens usually end with the DPF at 35 or 40%, but I've had them end at 55% as well. Relax, your truck is normal.

Old 05-11-2018, 12:49 PM
Boaterguy
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs
There seems to be no rule for regen miles or times. I've had as little as 12 miles and as much as 30 miles for regens. For me, the regens usually end with the DPF at 35 or 40%, but I've had them end at 55% as well. Relax, your truck is normal.
I'm sure it probably is normal for this truck, however, if it is only going down to an average of 50%, that means I Regen more frequently, and should explain why I don't get good mileage with this truck.
This is a rural area with a lot of roads that are 55mph with few cross streets, and my dash o meter claims 13.3 average over several tanks. So, I guess it is what it is. Now I want to see how low it will go on a Regen next month on our road trip thru the western States pulling or trailer, should have plenty of time to complete a cycle.

Old 05-11-2018, 01:52 PM
elee3
Fleet Mechanic
Received 229 Likes on 133 Posts
My truck's regens run for a certain amount of time, rather than miles. The faster I'm going, the more miles it takes, but the time is pretty consistent at about 20 minutes and gets down to around 30%. The most efficient thing is to drive it to completion once it has started. It takes a fair amount of fuel to get it up to temperature (before the soot starts to burn off) and if you shut it down prematurely, then it will be a short time before it has to begin the cycle again. I watch the instant fuel mileage screen to tell when it has completed the regen, or just try to drive it down to 30-35%.

Old 05-12-2018, 03:31 PM
rangerider1247
New User
Recall/PID

Originally Posted by Boaterguy
Hello all, I have a 2015 F250 4X4 XLT CC. For the last 46K miles, I just drove around in ignorant bliss letting the truck do its own thing while I hadn't a care in the world. The truck was in the dealer for a recall, (code PO4DB, CCV tube), and I asked the mechanic to activate the PID that allows my base cluster to show exhaust filter XX% full. Left the dealer at 90% full.

Couple of days later, 95%, then "exhaust filter full". About 5 miles later, regen started. I drove approximately 25 freeway miles, and the lowest it got was 40% full. Is this normal? I figured a regen would start around the 90% mark, and shouldn't take so long to complete. What should the % full be at when the cycle ends?
I have a 2015 and didn't get any recall and how much did the PID cost you. You would think that all trucks would come with the regen option on them Mine doesn't have it

Old 05-12-2018, 03:37 PM
rangerider1247
New User
Educate me please

Originally Posted by Tim C
I don't have the factory dash activated on my 16 but I do use a scan gauge 2. Mine usually does 20 to 25 miles depending on if I'm in stop and go or on the highway if I'm unloaded, loaded it's much less. I've noticed that it will pick a Regen back up if it hasn't been going too long when shut down. But after its run about 20% of the Regen it won't start back until it's back up to full again.

If I see a Regen has started and I have a little free time I'll take the long way where I'm headed to give it time to run out but only if I'm not in a hurry. Mine usually kicks in between work and home and there's a longer route by about 10 miles I'll take if I have time. It's only once a week or week and a half that mine does it.
Please educate at is a scan gauge 2?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is the truck Regen cycle right?