6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Two years later aaaaand.................

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 10:48 PM
2horses
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Two years later aaaaand.................

I'm back asking for help and input. Evelyn has been flawless up until recently, and I'm wondering if what I'm experiencing has been shared by anyone else. A search on the code I got today revealed nothing, so here we go.....

A couple of weeks ago I was driving home after being a friend's place all day. It was hot. Freaking Africa melt your eyeballs hot. I was towing my horse trailer (a 2 horse straight load, with front access and a tack room, so still pretty good sized trailer), and the AC was working as hard as it could to cool the cab. I had only been on the road a few minutes, long enough to get on the freeway, when the truck decided to go into regen. That's great, I thought, there's a definite load on the engine, I've got a good half-hour of travel left, so this one should actually finish. All was fine when suddenly something went POW, and the engine lost power. Thankfully I was in the right hand lane so I immediately put the truck in neutral, turned on the flashers and headed for the shoulder. By the time I got off the freeway the truck was completely dead. Well crap, not this again! This is a new engine, but yep, juuust at the two year warranty window. So i sat there a minute, contemplating my next move, when I decided to put it in park and try to start it back up. Lo and behold she started right back up! So I sat there a little longer, just to see if she'd stay running - then I started rolling down the shoulder, looking for a break in traffic. When I saw one, I floored it - daring it to die again. It did not, and that was seemingly the end of that. Okay, I work on computers for a living, and know sometimes they just do weird stuff you can't explain. So I just sorta wrote it off as that, and kept driving her.

Fast-forward to today. I'm coming home from work, pull into my driveway, slow down to let my dog jump in and she dies. WTF? Put her in park, start her back up, roll forward a bit more and she dies again. Damn! My first thought, since I just filled up a couple of days ago, was bad fuel. But what's this, a CEL? Yaaay, a code, finally!

So long story short, I have the never-before-heard-of P02E9 Diesel Intake Air Flow Position Sensor Circuit High code. Which google tells me is a "generic DTC that can apply to all diesel OBD-II equipped engines." I still don't know what any of that means, and trying to find out has proven to be frustrating, to say the least. It appears to be electrically related (what isn't, though?), and tomorrow I will have hubby try to find the DIAFPS sensor and make sure it's intact, not corroded, etc. which seems to be the first step towards trouble-shooting the issue. In the meantime, has anyone else ever experienced either this code, or the strange die during a regen event (which did not throw a code) like I did? And do y'all think the two are somehow related?

Oh and by the way, howdy to all the familiar folks, and good to see so many of you still here! That one-page thread through? Outta hand, I tell ya......

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-15-2018, 06:47 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,048 Likes on 2,210 Posts
Hey Pam! I hope all is well with you. Outta hand? Maybe...we prefer AWESOME
Regarding your code...I'm going to guess emissions related. I don't know if they replaced your EGR when they did the engine swap or not, but it might time to service the EGR or a problem with the DPF? Although your engine was replaced the emissions equipment may not have been. They might be getting dirty or near the end of their life. I'm not the emissions expert unless you want to know how to delete them, lol.

Old 06-15-2018, 06:51 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 900 Likes on 326 Posts
Just wondering if the Cold-side CAC tube is broken. Pretty common failure, and could account for the "POW" noise you had. Although, what bothers me is that for others, that never resulted in the engine quitting, I dont believe. there are a few threads in this forum. Its easy to spot under the hood, Pam. It starts just behind the radiator on the drivers side and is a 3" plastic line that runs down towards the drivers side fender well. If its breaks, its usually the plastic fitting near where it connects to the intercooler.

Here is a link with some photos.. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...t-failure.html

Let us know what you find out Pam, and dont be gone so long next time!

Old 06-15-2018, 07:09 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Dave, I never thought of that! You might be on to something. I need more coffee

Old 06-15-2018, 07:15 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 900 Likes on 326 Posts
Originally Posted by SavageNFS
Dave, I never thought of that! You might be on to something. I need more coffee
Well, Andre, you are a bit out of practice, driving that Fiat for a few years now.... Hope all is good across the Big Lake.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:29 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,193 Likes on 573 Posts
I would think if it was the CAC, it would be running really rough though, no? Mine was a complete dog after it blew and couldn't get out of it's own way. I don't think Pam could have just continued driving it normally after the "pow" if it was blown. I know this isn't an answer, just some thoughts. Sorry, I can't come up with more...

Old 06-15-2018, 09:42 AM
2horses
Laughing Gas
The fact that it ran fine for a couple of weeks after the pow - and that includes towing a tractor on a flatbed for nearly two hours, plus an additional regen ot two (that I remember) - makes me think that maybe they aren't related. Unless it 's just now catching up with me?

Old 06-15-2018, 09:47 AM
System
Prolocutor
If it was the intercooler tube Pam, you'd know it... and you wouldn't be towing with it that way for sure.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:54 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
That's a good point Rodney...

Old 06-15-2018, 09:57 AM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by SavageNFS
That's a good point Rodney...

I just wish I had a guess to what it was rather than what it isn't...

Old 06-15-2018, 09:59 AM
shawn.snow
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Morning Pam, Hopefully we can figure out whats going on with Evelyn and get her working hard again. Attached is what all data shows the P02E9 code is along with the associated test's hope this may shed some light on whats possibly going on. I wish I could offer some more help than that but but I haven't had this DTC.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
P02E9 pinpoint test.pdf (298.6 KB, 68 views)

Last edited by shawn.snow; 06-15-2018 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Edit for formatting
Old 06-15-2018, 12:54 PM
2horses
Laughing Gas
Thank you Shawn, that attachment was most helpful!! I'm hoping we can find a loose fitting or bit of corrosion and call it all good. I'll keep y'all posted!

Old 06-15-2018, 02:18 PM
shawn.snow
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your welcome I hope its something simple as well.
Originally Posted by 2horses
Thank you Shawn, that attachment was most helpful!! I'm hoping we can find a loose fitting or bit of corrosion and call it all good. I'll keep y'all posted!