Is the truck Regen cycle right? - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Is the truck Regen cycle right?

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the truck Regen cycle right?

Old 05-12-2018, 06:50 PM
SkiSmuggs
Elder User
SkiSmuggs has a good reputation on FTE.SkiSmuggs has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by rangerider1247 View Post
I have a 2015 and didn't get any recall and how much did the PID cost you. You would think that all trucks would come with the regen option on them Mine doesn't have it
It is not clear whether you are talking about the %DPF Full gauge or the Operator Command Regen on the dash. My dealer programmed the screen, after I showed them how, for $25. The Operator Command Regen is a $250 option that can be ordered from the factory but as I said in your other thread, you can do it with the Edge or with FORScan.

Old 05-13-2018, 12:55 AM
Boaterguy
Senior User
Boaterguy is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a 2015 and didn't get any recall and how much did the PID cost you. You would think that all trucks would come with the regen option on them Mine doesn't have it
I never got the actually recall either. I got a check engine light, scanned it myself, and looked up the code I was given (PO4db), then learned of the recall here on FTE.

My dealer didn't charge me to activate the PID that shows dpf % full, which was surprising since they charge for everything.

Old 05-13-2018, 11:42 AM
MPD56
Elder User
MPD56 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Boaterguy View Post
I'm sure it probably is normal for this truck, however, if it is only going down to an average of 50%, that means I Regen more frequently, and should explain why I don't get good mileage with this truck.
This is a rural area with a lot of roads that are 55mph with few cross streets, and my dash o meter claims 13.3 average over several tanks. So, I guess it is what it is. Now I want to see how low it will go on a Regen next month on our road trip thru the western States pulling or trailer, should have plenty of time to complete a cycle.
I think your truck is normal. The percentage of the DPF dash gauge is comparable to an oil light on a 60’s Ford, It is there because the consumer complaining about not having it. An active Regen is relative to your driving habits and conditions, so when your truck starts and stops an Active or Passive Regen is caused by the logics in the PCM program. In short, it stops and starts by the truck’s computer. I monitor the DPF using Torque Pro, a $5 android App that can show different data which gives me more information why a Regen started and stopped. For an example the trucks computer will more then likely start a Regen when the DPF Soot gauge gets to a 100%, but stops at different percents? In reality the starting is more important than the stopping. Ford uses different pressure gauge’s configurations in different model years for determining soot and ash amounts (levels) in the DPF and this is why your truck is different then mine.

So if you just want to know when your truck is in Regen, then the dash gauge is OK, if you want to know more why your truck started and stopped a Regen, then buy an after market monitor. Again I use Torque Pro. Usually my Active Regen’s start by mileage or the Soot% is at 100%. The stopping has many variables. Forced Regens when you get a message “ DRIVE TO CLEAN EXHAUST FILTER” are most likely cause by the DPF over 100% and a Regen that has been interrupted at least 3 times.

FYI:
With Torque Pro you can also monitor your Truck’s fuel rate and MPG. The dash o meter is probably correct. You can set high and low alarms on PIDs that can help you understand why you are getting 13.3 mpg. In my case, I just like drive with a lead foot even with diesel fuel at around $5/US gal .

Old 05-13-2018, 02:02 PM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
So here is an empty regen for me today.
Regen started at 49074.2 @ 2:25pm.
Ended at 49081.0 @2:35 pm.

full

start of regen

85%

0%

Old 05-13-2018, 06:53 PM
GT4point6
Senior User
GT4point6 is starting off with a positive reputation.
my 18 takes 30-40 mile to regen unloaded highway speed after hitting 99%, display is only two characters so I never see 100%.
Then, as long as I don't stop, it WILL go down to 0%.

If I stop below say 30%, then sometimes it stops then and then goes up from there.

Since I started uses Enerburn (no affiliation, just a user), I get 500 miles before I regen and I am usually at 70% or so when I hit the 500 miles.
Before that, I would hit 99% at about 375 miles.

Looking who has the 17+models in this thread, our trucks seem to take longer (more miles to regen) to regen than the earlier years.

That being said, I towed about 250 miles (14k rv) and the DPF only gained 15%, passive regen in action.

Old 05-14-2018, 04:10 PM
Tim C
Senior User
Tim C is starting off with a positive reputation.
Please educate at is a scan gauge 2?
A scan gauge 2 is a little LCD display that you can mount anywhere, mine is stuck to the steering column just in front of the prndl lights. It plugs into the obd2 port and you can program it to show live data from the engine computer. I originally bought it from autozone for my old 03 f250 6.0 psd so I could monitor oil temp and coolant temp, because you know, 6.0 problems 😂.

After I bought my 6.7 I reprogrammed it to show Regen on/off, dpf level in g/l (not sure what the g/l means, but when it hits 3.50 it starts a Regen and quits between 1.20 and 1.40 g/l) it shows the 3rd and 4th exhaust gas temp probes also. Normal unloaded they run 400 to 500 degrees f, towing it's 700 to 800 degf and during Regen they go up to 1100 to 1200. That way I can tell when a Regen is active.

It only shows 4 data pids at a time but I also programmed it to show the first two egt sensors and distance since last active Regen, I can scroll through to view them but usually don't.

Old 05-14-2018, 04:29 PM
dirthawg
Senior User
dirthawg has a good reputation on FTE.dirthawg has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by senix View Post
So here is an empty regen for me today.
Regen started at 49074.2 @ 2:25pm.
Ended at 49081.0 @2:35 pm.

full

start of regen

85%

0%
7 miles? You are lucky. I just finished a regen this weekend and it took 19 miles @70mph towing a 7k landscape trailer.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:20 PM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by dirthawg View Post
7 miles? You are lucky. I just finished a regen this weekend and it took 19 miles @70mph towing a 7k landscape trailer.
I would have thought that would be hot enough to passively regen with the speed and such.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:56 PM
dirthawg
Senior User
dirthawg has a good reputation on FTE.dirthawg has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by senix View Post
I would have thought that would be hot enough to passively regen with the speed and such.
Not quite enough weight and virtually no wind resistance to make high enough EGT's. My travel trailer weighs about the same but wind resistance is higher and EGT's are high enough for passive regen at that same speed.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:35 AM
Painted Horse
Posting Guru
Painted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by GT4point6 View Post
my 18 takes 30-40 mile to regen unloaded highway speed after hitting 99%, display is only two characters so I never see 100%.
Then, as long as I don't stop, it WILL go down to 0%.

Looking who has the 17+models in this thread, our trucks seem to take longer (more miles to regen) to regen than the earlier years.
My 17 does the same. It can take 40 minutes to complete. But I notice the REGEN ON light goes off on my Edge earlier but the % keeps dropping for 5-10 minutes after. So I guess residual heat is finishing the job.
And my Edge shows a different % than the Dash display. Usually about half. So if my dash is showing 99%, my Edge is showing 49%

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: