Is the cold a/c mod bad for the heater core?? - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Is the cold a/c mod bad for the heater core??

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the cold a/c mod bad for the heater core??

Old 05-11-2018, 09:25 PM
BLUEMAX65
Senior User
BLUEMAX65 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
The heater core will implode and leave coolant EVERYWHERE in the cab. You're family will hate you and your wife will wonder why in the heck you got this god forsaken truck to begin with and why it takes a stupid mod to get the A/C to work properly. You'll wish you had bought a 6.7, but that comes with emissions crap. Don't mod the A/C....have a good weekend.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:06 AM
brian42
Postmaster
brian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to behold
The heater core will implode and leave coolant EVERYWHERE in the cab. You're family will hate you and your wife will wonder why in the heck you got this god forsaken truck to begin with and why it takes a stupid mod to get the A/C to work properly. You'll wish you had bought a 6.7, but that comes with emissions crap. Don't mod the A/C....have a good weekend.
My wife already wonders why I still have the truck after the last few years of buck$zookas, then I showed her the going price for a used 6.7L (fuggetabout a new one) and she understands why this one is still in the driveway, stupid A/C and all.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:42 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
If it was bad, they probably wouldn't have added it from the factory in '02.
My 02 didn't come with one, but the excursions and rangers did.

Also not really sure where the idea this was a bad idea came from. When I was a tad bit younger, many years ago, the shut off door for the heater in the passenger floorboard wouldn't close all the way. This was in my 64 pick up with no AC installed (in Texas). Triangle windows and 2/60 was used for cooling.

When the girls started sweating and complaining, I found the door issue leaking hot air. Being too cheap for a ball valve back then, I disconnected the heater hoses and just looped one back to the water pump and looped the other from the heater core back to the heater core so it remained a closed system. And I'm not the first one to have done it. So basically, this "mod" has been around and used for decades.

Old 05-15-2018, 10:10 PM
jstihl
Elder User
jstihl is starting off with a positive reputation.
thanks for this insight... I will sleep much better at night now, probably dreaming of a new 6.7, ha!

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.