Is the cold a/c mod bad for the heater core?? - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Is the cold a/c mod bad for the heater core??

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the cold a/c mod bad for the heater core??

Old 05-10-2018, 08:52 AM
Sous
Post Fiend
Sous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant future
The Diesel Site valve never fully closed, but maybe that was the way it was designed. I wrote them and talked to them on the phone a few times regarding the valve and how I thought the very basic operation was failing. They claimed my vacuum pump was failing. Here I am 3 years later and the pump still works great.

I destroyed the DS valve and installed the Ranger valve last fall. This past weekend is the first time we had put the Ranger valve to the test and it did great.

Give what you have done a shot and if you are happy with it you are done. If you are not happy, install another ball valve in the other line and go from there.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:26 AM
HKusp
Post Fiend
HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.
If it was bad, they probably wouldn't have added it from the factory in '02.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:31 AM
HKusp
Post Fiend
HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by Jaime74656 View Post
and why must everyone over complicate things? yes its vac opperated but no dead head here....this was a ranger/excursion valve BTW....just sayin'
That's pretty funny Jaime, if we look back at your post history, you have taken some pretty simple concepts and made some pretty complicated theoretical modifications of them.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:40 AM
brian42
Postmaster
brian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to behold
The vacuum operated valve is better than nothing but known to not block all the flow through the heater core. That's why Dieselsite sells a "better" version of it.

jstihl I wouldn't worry about it. I had two "Ranger" valves and both of them leaked on me. I recently replaced my injector cups and swapped to just a manual ball valve on the supply line to the cooler (at least I think it's the supply line). No issue with dead-headed pressure but no flow to improve cooling performance. I don't shut it all the time but when I do there's a noticeable difference in the cab when I do (colder).

It works for all settings instead of just Max A/C. That is good or bad depending on your preference. I prefer the dash/floor setting so now I have temperature improvement across the board but that's just me.

I've already given up on ESOF and went to manual hubs, why not one more thing? My next project is to use Sous' video to clean my evaporator.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:11 PM
jstihl
Elder User
jstihl is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Sous View Post
The Diesel Site valve never fully closed, but maybe that was the way it was designed. I wrote them and talked to them on the phone a few times regarding the valve and how I thought the very basic operation was failing. They claimed my vacuum pump was failing. Here I am 3 years later and the pump still works great.

I destroyed the DS valve and installed the Ranger valve last fall. This past weekend is the first time we had put the Ranger valve to the test and it did great.

Give what you have done a shot and if you are happy with it you are done. If you are not happy, install another ball valve in the other line and go from there.
Thanks for all the info guys. the ball valve seems to work great but more so in max a/c, as long as i am getting proper cooling to the engine it should work just fine...

Old 05-10-2018, 12:24 PM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
If it was bad, they probably wouldn't have added it from the factory in '02.
Or to the 2000 PSD Excursion, when the Ex was first made.

Stewart

Old 05-10-2018, 01:43 PM
Jaime74656
Another cautionary tale
Jaime74656 is a name known to allJaime74656 is a name known to allJaime74656 is a name known to allJaime74656 is a name known to allJaime74656 is a name known to allJaime74656 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
That's pretty funny Jaime, if we look back at your post history, you have taken some pretty simple concepts and made some pretty complicated theoretical modifications of them.
hehe thats half the funz LOL but again you know how theories are supposed to be....broken

Old 05-10-2018, 01:56 PM
Randyholton
New User
Randyholton is starting off with a positive reputation.
Does anyone have the part numbers for each valve

Old 05-11-2018, 10:18 AM
av8or1
Senior User
av8or1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
jstihl- The previous owner installed this heft of crap on my 2000 F-350, FWIW:

It worked for him. I've never closed it off. Want to remove it, just haven't made the time yet to install a new hose...

Thanks,
Jerry

Old 05-11-2018, 12:41 PM
268Fords
Senior User
268Fords is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I installed a 1/2” sweat on ball valve a few years ago. In the summer time, I will open it once a week for a few minutes to flush it. I prefer manual options over vacuum valves. Just my opinion.

Old 05-11-2018, 04:06 PM
brian42
Postmaster
brian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Randyholton View Post
Does anyone have the part numbers for each valve
I have the pictures on my laptop from when I did this recently. I'll take a look and see if I have the part numbers/sizes. I got the ball valve and barbs from Home Depot (or Lowes) and the hose clamps from the local auto parts store.

Old 05-11-2018, 04:29 PM
BLUEMAX65
Senior User
BLUEMAX65 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have the DS valve in my truck. I live in Phoenix so to say the least it's hot. It has made a big difference in my truck. Something I was told a long time ago from a old time HVAC guy was to turn off the a/c about one mile before your destination. Switch it to vent and it will dry out the condenser and get rid of the musty smell. One benefit to our trucks it would allow coolant to flow thru the heater core. I have done this for years on all my vehicles with no ill effects.

Old 05-11-2018, 04:57 PM
brian42
Postmaster
I used a brass 1/2” gas ball valve with a 5/8” to 1/2” MIP connection on each end. I used thread tape to prevent leakage at the threaded connections.

Old 05-11-2018, 07:32 PM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
BBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud of
The heater core will implode and leave coolant EVERYWHERE in the cab. You're family will hate you and your wife will wonder why in the heck you got this god forsaken truck to begin with and why it takes a stupid mod to get the A/C to work properly. You'll wish you had bought a 6.7, but that comes with emissions crap. Don't mod the A/C....have a good weekend.

Old 05-11-2018, 07:45 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
jhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
The heater core will implode and leave coolant EVERYWHERE in the cab. You're family will hate you and your wife will wonder why in the heck you got this god forsaken truck to begin with and why it takes a stupid mod to get the A/C to work properly. You'll wish you had bought a 6.7, but that comes with emissions crap. Don't mod the A/C....have a good weekend.
Simply AWESOME!

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.