Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

272 Engine or a 302 Engine MONEY!!!!

Old 09-19-2003, 07:00 PM
bigwin56f100
Post Fiend
bigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant future

OK here it goes!
A y block will always look correct and a small block will ALMOST always look COOTIE BOBBED!(The last time I used these words people were offended!) I am not one to change out and modify, but at least if I were to do a modifacation I would opt for a FE or 460. FILL THE FENDERS BOYS! Those 302s and 351s look like a 4cyl in a ranger when put in an old f100. I honestly have never ridden in a 50s ford with a small block, it might be fun! I can guarantee though the y block is a rush! When I pull into a show and pop the hood and display that YELLOW y block with RAMS it is a crowd pleaser.

Kevin

P.S. Hey 4speed sound about right?

Old 09-19-2003, 07:03 PM
himmelberg
Posting Guru
himmelberg is starting off with a positive reputation.

Everything pertaining to this has been duly noted... nice work guys. Everything, perhaps, except for the fact that no one has ever called a y block "girly". 292 himmelberg

Old 09-19-2003, 07:28 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Earl has a good reputation on FTE.Earl has a good reputation on FTE.Earl has a good reputation on FTE.

I don't happen to have an engine in my truck ... er ... truck frame. The only engine I have to put in it is the original 272 Y-block it came with ('cept a 5 HP Briggs & Stratton with a vertical crankshaft). So in my case, it was an easy choice. Stay all original (as best I can tell) and do a thorough rebuild.

Don't really care if it will pull tree stumps, walk a dragster, or deafen my neighbors. Do care that it's reliable, reasonably fuel efficient, and won't be so underpowered that it will be dangerous when pulling onto a highway. The fact that it isn't something you see every day is a nice bonus.

Ya know, if all I had was a 289/302/351/400/429/460/ ... sitting in the garage, and no engine in my truck, I'd sure as heck be looking at how to get it running with what I had. In lots of ways I'm one of the lucky ones - I really didn't have to make a hard decision. Hat's off to those of you who have had to figure out what you want, and then make it happen with parts from different sources.

Oh, with respect to Peter's "girly" comment. Seems like the Y-block is fairly described by the word manly. Not too swift, lots of brawn, and the start of middle-age weight gain. I suppose a big block 429/460 would be better served by the description ... hmmm ... vigorous? No, that's not it. How about bold? Yeah. Big blocks are not really manly, with the manly thoughtfulness that comes with growing up. Big blocks are bold, no hesitation, no worry about the consequences engines. Stomp on it and go NOW!!! Oh darn, now I've got a drive-thru garage.

Last edited by Earl; 09-19-2003 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-19-2003, 07:42 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
fatfenders has a good reputation on FTE.fatfenders has a good reputation on FTE.fatfenders has a good reputation on FTE.

A y block will always look correct and a small block will ALMOST always look COOTIE BOBBED

Bigwin56

Not a fair statement IMO. Get a gallery up soon so we can all see what a non-cootie bobbed engine bay is supposed to look like. And I better not see any nylon wire ties either.

'fenders
53 F100 "Full-Tilt Cootie"

Old 09-19-2003, 09:40 PM
atticmole
Senior User
atticmole is starting off with a positive reputation.

Wow George that was pretty intimadating for a beginner on a budget! sounds like alot of work and expence even not doing the actual rebuild yourself. But its all stuff I need to know. That being said I still feel like I want and need to find a way and make it work.

The YBlock is the heart of my truck and I cant see putting anything else in it!!!!! Putting a 302 in it would be like putting in one of those Jarvic 7 artificial hearts. ARTIFICIAL! There a fine engine and will keep your truck alive, But like the song says, "There's nothing like the real thing baby"!

Old 09-19-2003, 09:48 PM
Psycho-Bob
New User
Psycho-Bob is starting off with a positive reputation.

It all depends on what YOU want. There are pros and cons to using either the Y-block or the small block. The fellow who said the 351 would be better for towing was right, though. The 302 would be a little strained doing that on a regular basis. I put a '71 302 in my '84 Bronco, and I wouldn't pull a trailer too often with it. As far as which motor to use, you decide. My truck is a '50 F-1 that I put on a '79 4X4 chassis and shoehorned a 460 in it. You think there's alot of fabrication in swapping a 302 for a Y... try fitting a narrow old early '50's cab on a 4x4 chassis and getting the brake booster, steering column, and everything else to fit around a big block! I had to fabricate everything from the motor mounts to the connection at the steering box. I used half of an '84 Firebird column shaft to make it work! And don't get me started on the radiator! I had to make my own core support! Anyway, what I'm getting at is if it's what you really want, and you have a saw and a welder, ANYTHING will fit ANYWHERE. On the other hand, my buddy has a '55 Ford wrecker with the ORIGINAL 312 in it, and I'd trust IT to tow a trailer before I'd trust my '84 Bronco with it's '71 302 to do the same job! Now, my '50 would pull it and not even know it was there, but I'd use two or three times the gas! And by the way, he has had NO problem whatsoever finding parts for his 312. Reasonable, too... the carb rebuild kit was only $15. So don't let availability and cost stop you. Hope this helps.

Old 09-20-2003, 12:35 AM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
mr4speedford is starting off with a positive reputation.

Kevin, I'm having a guy come out this weekend to fix my scanner, I'll have your pics up soon. Fenders will see the light

Fellow Y-blockers, Nice job!

-4speed

Old 09-20-2003, 09:24 AM
286merc
Posting Guru
286merc is starting off with a positive reputation.

<i>On the other hand, my buddy has a '55 Ford wrecker with the ORIGINAL 312 in it, </i>

Not likely as the 312 didnt arrive until 56 and was not offered in trucks.
Base V8 in 55 was the 239 with the 256 an option in the F600; the 272 became available in light trucks late in the year.

OTOH anything was possible at the dealer, I remember 56-7 F350 wreckers getting 368 Lincolns since the 292 wouldnt haul worth a hoot on the NY Thruway.

Old 09-20-2003, 09:59 AM
bhabben
Senior User
bhabben is starting off with a positive reputation.

OTOH anything was possible at the dealer, I remember 56-7 F350 wreckers getting 368 Lincolns since the 292 wouldnt haul worth a hoot on the NY Thruway.
And that was possible because the bigger Ford trucks used the lincoln based motors. All bolt in.

Lately I've been dreamin' of a screamin' FE. Not 60's Cobra pentroof valve cover style, but round top valve cover 50's style:

It's a 58 352 for your 58 F100. Vintage Big Block Power.
Adios,
Brett

Old 09-21-2003, 09:47 PM
Psycho-Bob
New User
Psycho-Bob is starting off with a positive reputation.

Maybe it's not the original, we never really thought about when the 312 came out. But it's the motor that was in it when he got it, and it looks like it came that way. Whoever put it in there really made it look right. Anyway, my point was that I'd trust his old 312 to pull a trailer than my 302. Mine would do the job, but I wouldn't want to do it as often. But I figure his old wrecker has been towing BIG old cars for alot of years, and it still has guts.

Old 09-22-2003, 01:20 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
fatfenders has a good reputation on FTE.fatfenders has a good reputation on FTE.fatfenders has a good reputation on FTE.

Originally posted by mr4speedford
Kevin, I'm having a guy come out this weekend to fix my scanner, I'll have your pics up soon. Fenders will see the light

Fellow Y-blockers, Nice job!

-4speed
We're still waitiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing................... .......

Let me guess 4Speed, you got a Y-block scanner and you can't get it to stop leaking oil long enough to get a PIC up here. Maybe Kevin can come over and pour the Straight 50W oil in while you do it so she doesn't blow.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

'fenders
"Insomnia sucks, I'm leaving now."

Old 09-22-2003, 06:33 AM
Big Hands
Senior User
Big Hands is starting off with a positive reputation.

Dang,

Just when I decide to pop for the mounts to drop in the 302, the Y blockers mount an impressive justification for not switching out. Once again I wish I were George (except I am riding and driving) and only had one choice.

One more question though, If I keep the y block and then add a Volare subframe, is that "cootie bobbing'?

I think the inmates have taken over the asylum.

Happy fall, see you at Carlisle

HAnds

Old 09-22-2003, 07:19 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend

"One more question though, If I keep the y block and then add a Volare subframe, is that "cootie bobbing'?"

Excellent question Cooter 'hands. BigWin implies in his post above that stuffing a 390 or 460 in is not "cootie bobbin" so you might be OK. But I doubt it because I have a Volare in my truck. So a Volare must surely be a cootie bob mod. I'm sure he and 4Speed will tell us if we need to know.

Old 09-22-2003, 04:03 PM
bigwin56f100
Post Fiend
bigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant future

Fenders,
I'll have to install overhead oilers on that scanner so we can get some pics up!

In this forum there seems to be alot of stock truckers. In my experience at 5 yrs of the supernats the numbers for stock trucks in very few. Many people opt to go with the finer creature comforts. When I drive my stocker 500 miles to PF the entire time I'm wishing for A/C or cruise control- The real thing not just a throttle cable either! Build the truck to suit you as many folks in here have and enjoy.

Cootie-Bob Kevin

Old 09-22-2003, 04:51 PM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
mr4speedford is starting off with a positive reputation.

Fenders, just read your post. It must have a 302 because when it does work, it slow. At least my old y-block one was always faithful. Kevin, You thought my previous excuse was bad, now the guy is sick and he might be able to make it. Kevin, if your not doing anything thursday, me and dad are going to the triple crown around 5:00p.m. Later, -4speed(anybody know Hewlett packards phone#?)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 272 Engine or a 302 Engine MONEY!!!!

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.