Notices
General Diesel Discussion  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a diesel good for me?

Old 05-07-2018, 06:30 PM
Jarubell
New User
Jarubell is starting off with a positive reputation.
Is a diesel good for me?

Boss is getting me a new work truck and I'm thinking of a F250 diesel.
- Hauling a work trailer, 18ft, about 10,000 lbs. Usually to a site where it'll sit for months.
- Up in Canada, where some jobs and camps I'm at do not have plugs (-40)
- Sometimes store truck for months at a time,

I have no clue, should I avoid diesel? What issues would I have with the cold?

Old 05-09-2018, 08:46 AM
ssunit1
Elder User
ssunit1 has a good reputation on FTE.ssunit1 has a good reputation on FTE.
Towing 10k lbs you might want to consider a F350. Diesel will work up there but issues may be that diesel fuel tends to gel at low temps, -40degs???, so starting may be tough. I believe the 6.2 gaser would pull ok but check the specs on that and may not have the cold start issues a diesel would.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:14 PM
texastech_diesel
Disgruntled Texan
texastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Jarubell View Post
- Up in Canada, where some jobs and camps I'm at do not have plugs (-40)
What do other people do? -40* true air temps are very extreme, that's below the 10th percentile even for Prudhoe Bay in the coldest months of the year, it happens a single digit number of days a typical year. Perceived temps and wind chill, sure those are commonly reported as -40*, but those "felt" temperatures don't impact equipment.

-40* is to the point at which it's not just a block heater you need, there are oil pan heaters, trans pan heaters, battery blankets, coolant concentration to consider, and oil viscosity. Call an up-fitter in one of the far north oil field towns and talk to them; they do very all-inclusive work, everything from winter covers to fluid changes to wind straps on the doors to electrical upgrades. Many of the upgrades impact gas and diesel trucks both. Your usage pattern points towards gas just because diesel fuel is less stable in long-term storage, and heaven help you if you leave #2 in it and park it until winter, you'd have to get the truck towed into a heated shop and let it thaw for a whole day before you'd get it started again, even then you might still be pulling the fuel lines of and flushing them. With gas if you get enough methanol in it it'll thaw out on it's own a lot easier.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:26 PM
Jarubell
New User
I had to go look up average temperature for the city I work out of and found that my -40 may be a little low. Even though record lows dipped lower than that, the truth is that the average low is -20.1degC (-4.2degF). We'll will be getting a F250, still stuck on diesel or gas.

Bryan, I thought I was decided on a diesel, thinking that I'll be happier towing my work trailer, know I'm thinking about it again.

Thanks guys for your input!

Old 05-11-2018, 07:34 PM
texastech_diesel
Disgruntled Texan
texastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputation
Big difference in -20* and -40*

Don't get me wrong, diesel is awesome power-wise, but in the winter you'll be burning an artic mix of #1 and additives. The fuel will have a lower energy content compared to the pure #2 you can run down where it's warm. More expensive fuel filters you need to carry spares of in case you gel up, need to carry emergency additives (you should do that with gas also though), just in general more hassle. But better power and pulling experience.

Maybe carry a couple thousand watt generator to store inside and use it to run the block heater a couple hours before you have to start it if it's been stored at the minus-twenties for a period of time. Or go full out and get a torpedo heater to blow under it, I'm sure you won't be the only guy wanting to warm up a truck regardless of fuel type.

Just a pro-tip, mixing a little bit of diesel into sand into a metal oil change pan, you can light that on fire with some methanol and get a nice little portable heater going if you ever need to thaw something in the wild. But watch it and don't light the truck on fire

Old 05-11-2018, 08:31 PM
Jarubell
New User
Been talking to others on this work site who have diesels, and I think I'll be okay. I really looking forward to getting it, one and a half weeks!

I'll have to get my boss to get one of those tool boxes and load it up with basic tools, filters, additives, and what ever else I find recommend on this site!

Thanks for your reply!

Old 05-16-2018, 12:40 AM
parkland
Post Fiend
parkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud of
I'e done it. With my 7.3. I bought a cheap 1000w 2 stroke generator for 100$ at Walmart and I'd start it and plug the truck in and wait an hour or 2. Even then, it was cold.

Just ran 15w40 and pump fuel, never had to add anything special.
the part that I'd worry about is sitting for months. The longest mine sat was 2 weeks. The longer it sits the lower the battery will be. Better have a battery charger as well.
the 2 stroke generator is the real key, 4 stroke is harder to start when its super cold.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:14 AM
Jarubell
New User
The only hurtle I'm seeing at the moment is that if I have the right fuel in the tank before winter comes. Is there an additive that will stop gelling #2 fuel ( or is that #1, gotta do more readings!)

As for storage, one reason for the extended time is that I fly off to other jobs and get geared up there. With a proper towing truck the idea is that I can pull it anywhere now, but there is always the chance of storage due to lack of work.

I like the generator idea, would be nice to have for the work trailer too!

Old 05-16-2018, 05:01 PM
parkland
Post Fiend
parkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud of
Yes there are fuel additives to prevent gelling, I've just never used any. -40 and even colder hasn't caused any issues with regular 15w40 and pump fuel.
the closest I ever had a truck come to not starting was about -27but 70 kmh winds, not sure what the wind chill factor would be but the block heater didn' do nothing that day lol. Barely started that time.
the 6.4 I had sure started easy but I still plugged it in. The 6.7s start easy too. Plugging in is good for them.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:11 PM
Jarubell
New User
Well, this should end this thread, I now have a 2018 F350 SD 6.7l Power Stroke!