Common rail operating life

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 12:33 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Common rail operating life

Hey everyone!

so I was riding in a friends duramax truck earlier and it has some fuel system issues.
without ragging about that particular truck, I think all new diesels are fairly close in fuel system design, so I have a random thought that I thought I'd toss out there....

for a truck that someone buys with the intention of keeping forever, tuning and deleting etc... why cant the injector nozzles be sent in and honed out, and a pressure fooler put inline with the rail pressure?
if the nozzles flow 2x the fuel, and the rail is half the pressure, will that not provide close to original power with half the fuel system pressure?
it seems like the only purpose of running such high fuel pressure is purely for emissions.

if the egr is disabled, more oxygen is available so maybe the finer atomization wouldn't even matter anyways 🙄

Older trucks used as low as a few thousand psi for injection. Of course nobody wants to lose a nice clean burn, but there has to be a happy medium.

What if the high pressure was fooled and divided by 3, so that when the pressure is at 10000psi it tells the computer 30000psi, and the injector tips are honed to flow at 10k what they used to flow at 30k?
Effectively everything remains relatively equal yet at a lower level.
I dont know if it'​s possible but it seems feasible, and I'd have to imagine that the fuel system would be a lot more reliable running lower pressure. ​​​

Old 05-16-2018, 06:18 AM
brandonrr
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
There's a few reasons all the newer diesels use common rail systems. Emissions is one of them. NVH, which is noise, vibration and harshness is another. Common rail injectors can have several injection events per cycle, instead of one loud bang like older diesels. Common rail injectors can be controlled very precisely and that is the main reason why the new trucks are so darn quiet. They are also much more sensitive to contamination.

While the current common rail injectors have become more robust toward normal wear and tear, they are still very sensitive to fuel contamination. The newer fuel pumps (cp4) are actually less durable than the older cp3 pumps.

Long story short, common rails burn clean and quiet, but there are tradeoffs and longevity and reliability are the main ones.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:58 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah I know what a common rail diesel is, I wasn' mocking them or anything just pointing out that maybe the pressure could be way lower and the average person would he plenty happy since nobody runs egr if it' tuned and deleted anyways