1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Does anybody want a free big,old,heavy aftermarket rear bumper for a F1?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 01:42 PM
badger_hound
Laughing Gas
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Does anybody want a free big,old,heavy aftermarket rear bumper for a F1?

Hi all,

Maybe this should go into the classifieds, but I was wondering if there was ANY demand for old, aftermarket bumpers for our trucks. I pulled a big, old bumper of the rear of my 49 F1 last fall, and it is now rusting gently in my back yard. The bumper itself is is pretty good shape, and would be great for a work truck, but I don't know whether it would fit a larger truck well without some modifications. If anyone is interested, I can post some picks. It's free - you've just got to come and get it (I'm in the Lansing area of central MI). I'd rather see it get used then scrapped, but its gotta go!

Old 05-08-2018, 05:35 AM
Greg Rogers
Fleet Mechanic
Received 138 Likes on 78 Posts
Hey Badger, A friend of mine has a 40 tonner and he wants a rear bumper for it. You are close to us and He may be interested in coming to Lansing and getting it. Can you post a quick pic of it or send me a PM? Thanks for offering it up! Greg.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:04 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Pictures would help BH.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:15 PM
badger_hound
Laughing Gas
Hi Greg,

I posted some photos down below. Not sure I know what a 40 tonner is... this bumper will bolt up and match the rear fender curvature on a F1. If I remember correctly, I think the frame mounts would be the same for a F2 and F3, but the curve of the rear fenders would be different. Not sure on the frame sizes for the bigger trucks - since they all get the same cab, maybe the frame rails are the same width apart, but I don't know... I'm sure some of the big truck guys here could easily provide an answer to that though.

Overall, the bumper is in good shape, just surface rust and a few odd holes drilled in here and there. It's a biggun, mind you, and looks like a diving deck off of the back of my F1! With a little modification, I thought it would be great for a F2/F3 work truck with an express bed. However, if you wanted to cut off the fender side mounts, I bet it would look fine on a flatbed/cargo bed. It's also heavy duty enough to make a decent , if a little bit ugly, trailer hitch, if you wanted to cut it down further.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:21 PM
ravenclaws
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it is wicked cool in a way. If no one here wants it post it on your local Facebook for sale page, someone doing a ratrod will probably love to have it. But don't post it for free, ask $40 and take $20 for it. In my experience you get rid of stuff on FB if you ask SOMETHING for it instead of putting it on there for free.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:52 PM
Greg Rogers
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks Badger, I'll show him the pics. Greg

Old 05-09-2018, 09:13 AM
badger_hound
Laughing Gas
Sounds good Greg - keep me posted!

ravenclaws - Yeah, I think its a pretty decently made item, which is why I have had a hard time hauling to the scrapper. It's not a bad idea to post it locally, which I may do if Greg's buddy doesn't want it.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:06 AM
ravenclaws
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badger_hound
Sounds good Greg - keep me posted!

ravenclaws - Yeah, I think its a pretty decently made item, which is why I have had a hard time hauling to the scrapper. It's not a bad idea to post it locally, which I may do if Greg's buddy doesn't want it.
Did Greg's buddy take it? Don't scrap it. Too many old cool pieces have been melted down and gone to China. I would hang on the wall of my shop, as scrap in my area it would bring maybe $10. I think current price is about $170 per ton. One day someone will see it and love to have it.

Old 05-10-2018, 03:21 PM
badger_hound
Laughing Gas
ravenclaws - not yet, I figure I'll wait a few days to hear back.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:55 PM
Greg Rogers
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks but no thanks I guess. He already got another bumper. Thanks for posting it up for free. I'm sorry it took so long for me to let you know.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:58 PM
badger_hound
Laughing Gas
No problem Greg, thanks for the follow up. I'll try and get rid of it locally for a while.

Old 05-23-2018, 02:30 PM
1948Dev
Junior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by badger_hound
Hi Greg,

I posted some photos down below. Not sure I know what a 40 tonner is... this bumper will bolt up and match the rear fender curvature on a F1. If I remember correctly, I think the frame mounts would be the same for a F2 and F3, but the curve of the rear fenders would be different. Not sure on the frame sizes for the bigger trucks - since they all get the same cab, maybe the frame rails are the same width apart, but I don't know... I'm sure some of the big truck guys here could easily provide an answer to that though.

Overall, the bumper is in good shape, just surface rust and a few odd holes drilled in here and there. It's a biggun, mind you, and looks like a diving deck off of the back of my F1! With a little modification, I thought it would be great for a F2/F3 work truck with an express bed. However, if you wanted to cut off the fender side mounts, I bet it would look fine on a flatbed/cargo bed. It's also heavy duty enough to make a decent , if a little bit ugly, trailer hitch, if you wanted to cut it down further.

Interesting. Maybe someone was making these at some point. I was down in Coronado CA in June 2017 and there was a 48/49 F-1 at the Union 76 getting a wash
with a similar rear bumper...... now that I look at it it looks even more significant in size though.

Old 05-23-2018, 10:33 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,446 Posts
Is this the bumper? It was sold by the Lempco Products Company from Bedford, Ohio.

Old 05-29-2018, 06:47 PM
badger_hound
Laughing Gas
1948 Dev - that truck is eerie... not only does it have the same bumper but the same tie downs bolted to the bedsides that came with my truck! And I thought they were just old hardware store hooks... the truck did come from northern California after all, maybe those were commonly stocked items.

Abe - I think you nailed it. Funny how that bumper made the trip from Ohio to California then back to Michigan over the past several decades. It still needs a good home if anyone is interested!

Old 05-29-2018, 07:19 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
The look and patina of that bumper is perfect for my ‘51 and I’d love to have it. It’s even the same color. There’s just that matter of the 525 mile round trip to get it. . I’ve got to figure out how to get another truck home from 4 states away first.

Quick Reply: Does anybody want a free big,old,heavy aftermarket rear bumper for a F1?