Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

serious wiring question this time

Old 05-06-2018, 09:37 PM
jniolon
Postmaster
jniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant future
serious wiring question this time

I'm starting to stick in relays and switches where they need to be ... but I got a couple that have me totally gobsmacked. Power windows and my Hood actuators change direction by reversing polarity (switching + and -).... I've got the switch DPDT figured out for doing that but I need/want a relay in there to handle the 10 amps or so.

I know how the relay works and it's only one side of the power--- it doesn't actually switch them over. I need to figure out how to actually switch the feeds + & - on the motor leads. My mind ties itself in knots with this... Probably gonna need 3 relays for each window and two for the hood... right ???

Here's a picture of the two ends so where does the relay go in the middle ?????

Old 05-06-2018, 11:32 PM
Mixer man
Journeyman Apprentice
Mixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud of
Why not just use a winch motor reversing relay?
Amazon Amazon

Old 05-07-2018, 03:00 AM
BlueOvalRage
Postmaster
BlueOvalRage has a great reputation on FTE.BlueOvalRage has a great reputation on FTE.BlueOvalRage has a great reputation on FTE.BlueOvalRage has a great reputation on FTE.BlueOvalRage has a great reputation on FTE.BlueOvalRage has a great reputation on FTE.

Does this help? You wouldn’t need the ground connection at terminal 5 on your switch drawing anymore because you’ll be switching polarity with the relays instead. The switch will just select which relay gets energized. Just connect terminal 1 on your switch to 86 on one of the relays to fire it and terminal 4 on the switch to 85 on the other relay to fire that one.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:32 AM
CharlieLed
Post Fiend
CharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant future
This relay setup will only need a SPDT switch to operate. I would suggest using limit switches on your frontend circuits to cut power when the actuator has reached it's full-up and full-down positions.

Old 05-07-2018, 04:12 PM
jniolon
Postmaster
jniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant future
well, had a little trouble finding a circuit I could use... the ground has to be 'floating' above chassis ground... the motor changes direction by switching + and - on the motor leads... I wasn't sure about using chassis ground not knowing the internals of the motors...

so this is what I found

so that's two relays per window to isolate the + & - and switch them... mocked it all up on the bench and here's where I am

now to build the rack to hold it...

also finished the door/wiper relay rack... waiting on some better jumpers for the terminal strips

this is challenging my old brain matter.

john

Old 05-23-2018, 11:21 AM
jniolon
Postmaster
well...That took a minute !!!

Old 05-24-2018, 11:20 PM
BlueOvalRage
Postmaster
BlueOvalRage has a great reputation on FTE.BlueOvalRage has a great reputation on FTE.BlueOvalRage has a great reputation on FTE.BlueOvalRage has a great reputation on FTE.BlueOvalRage has a great reputation on FTE.BlueOvalRage has a great reputation on FTE.
Dude, seriously? You spelled "RIGHT" wrong. That must be a southern thing! Oh, I'm just pickin'! It looks great!

Old 05-25-2018, 07:40 AM
jniolon
Postmaster
I do it all the time Rage. it adds symmetry to my labels and it makes non-southern people smile

Old 05-25-2018, 10:53 AM
BlueOvalRage
Postmaster
Ha ha! In all seriousness, I've been tinkering in the last few weeks with building a very similar panel for my F-2 to handle the trailer light and trailer brake relays. The biggest problem I've got is figuring out where to hide it to maintain easy access and not interfere with anything else. The Bonus Built cabs are a lot more constrained.

Old 05-25-2018, 11:34 AM
jniolon
Postmaster
my first idea was up under the dash on the same crossbar that the fuse panel is bolted to. but considering I still have a/c to install and hoses, and defrost stuff I decided to put them inside my console... most of it is open and under used.

there are three panels that will be covered with upholstery material and I want them removable... either screws or velcro

Old 05-25-2018, 12:51 PM
Mixer man
Journeyman Apprentice
Mixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jniolon View Post
well...That took a minute !!!
SWEET! What an inspiration! Ya, that took a few minutes for sure.