Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

I lost my transmission (E4OD) today

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 01:57 PM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
I always wished someone would do a 100% complete,step by step,illustrated E4OD/4R100 disassembly and overhaul procedure and post it here.An E4OD for dummies guide if you will.Trans shops probably are happy there isn't one lol but man,if we could all reman our own auto's it would be cool.I did a C6 back when I was in high school.Don't recall most of it anymore though.
It's not that difficult to rebuild a transmission. You just have to pay a lot of attention to detail, keep things organized, a few helpful tools and have good reference material. I bought the book from ATSG but that still didn't help me since I was determined to do things my way and not bother to look at the book for a few seconds. Pride was my downfall.

I have a spare E4OD that needs an inspection/rebuild after I finish this one. Maybe if I can get a real camera and some cooler weather, I can make a video guide.

Old 05-29-2018, 03:04 PM
rsrandle
New User
1992 E4OD, continuing saga of a blown tc

I started out with the unknown. My trans quit, I wasn’t sure if it was all junk or what. When I drained the fluid and got the pan off, it was full of metal bits. So I started removing my trans. I got everything out of the way, ready to remove it. Then I noticed my tranny jack plate was way too small to carry this trans so I built a jig on the jack to carry the trans.

So now I’m ready, except I can’t break the mounting bolts loose. I can’t even reach them on the left side. The exhaust was replaced and it was run very tight next to the trans blocking access. No problem, with 3 feet of extension I got it loose.

I now have the trans off the engine. But now with the jack down and the jig I built to carry the trans the whole mess now sits 4 inches higher than without the jig which means I have to jack the truck up to the rafters to get the trans out from under the truck! So I try jacking up the front of the truck but my jack can’t do it. It’s too light duty! Next idea besides a new jack, I’ll jack up the rear of the truck. This actually worked fine. The back bumper is up to my chest but it worked.

I’ve got the trans out from under the truck now, I remove the torque converter and noticed when I tilted it it sounded like a box of nuts and bolts rattling around. I looked into the tc and the splines were there, they looked fine except they were on end with a lot of other bits scattered around! Now I know what failed, the tc. I disassembled the trans, there was metal shavings and metal dust throughout the trans but no other parts looked bad. All of the steels were clean with no discoloring and very little wear.

I have only put about 5000 miles on this truck since I got it and I was told it had a tranny rebuild less than 20,000 miles earlier. All the parts inside this trans look good, the tc just let go. The moral to this story, don’t go cheap on a rebuild. Don’t use a stock tc when it is a known weak spot. Upgrade to anything better.

I am replacing all the friction disks. They look clean and new but they have metal flakes imbedded in them. I am also having trouble getting the planetarys clean. I think it will be easier to replace them than working on getting them clean.

My next struggle will be to determine what upgrades have been made so I get the correct replacement parts.

Rod

Old 05-29-2018, 03:25 PM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rsrandle
I started out with the unknown. My trans quit, I wasn’t sure if it was all junk or what. When I drained the fluid and got the pan off, it was full of metal bits. So I started removing my trans. I got everything out of the way, ready to remove it. Then I noticed my tranny jack plate was way too small to carry this trans so I built a jig on the jack to carry the trans.

So now I’m ready, except I can’t break the mounting bolts loose. I can’t even reach them on the left side. The exhaust was replaced and it was run very tight next to the trans blocking access. No problem, with 3 feet of extension I got it loose.

I now have the trans off the engine. But now with the jack down and the jig I built to carry the trans the whole mess now sits 4 inches higher than without the jig which means I have to jack the truck up to the rafters to get the trans out from under the truck! So I try jacking up the front of the truck but my jack can’t do it. It’s too light duty! Next idea besides a new jack, I’ll jack up the rear of the truck. This actually worked fine. The back bumper is up to my chest but it worked.

I’ve got the trans out from under the truck now, I remove the torque converter and noticed when I tilted it it sounded like a box of nuts and bolts rattling around. I looked into the tc and the splines were there, they looked fine except they were on end with a lot of other bits scattered around! Now I know what failed, the tc. I disassembled the trans, there was metal shavings and metal dust throughout the trans but no other parts looked bad. All of the steels were clean with no discoloring and very little wear.

I have only put about 5000 miles on this truck since I got it and I was told it had a tranny rebuild less than 20,000 miles earlier. All the parts inside this trans look good, the tc just let go. The moral to this story, don’t go cheap on a rebuild. Don’t use a stock tc when it is a known weak spot. Upgrade to anything better.

I am replacing all the friction disks. They look clean and new but they have metal flakes imbedded in them. I am also having trouble getting the planetarys clean. I think it will be easier to replace them than working on getting them clean.

My next struggle will be to determine what upgrades have been made so I get the correct replacement parts.

Rod

Same situation as mine. My frictions had some tooth damage and some mild burns but none of them were bare or close to it.

As for cleaning the planetaries, use brake parts cleaner. disassemble everything and give it a good hose down with brake cleaner. I usually go through a case of cleaner per transmission. Only ever did a Mercedes transmission before. Don't forget to disassemble and clean the valve body, too.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:16 AM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
I got it stabbed back in on Sunday. I'm still hooking up the rest of the linkage, lines, TC and brackets before I fill it and start the truck. I also rebuilt the driveshaft and hoping I put it back together right. I'll find out when I start driving it.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:12 PM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
Well, GOOD NEWS! I finished it up this evening and took her out for a spin. Everything works as it should. TC lockup is much more noticeable as are the shifts. I attribute that to the TransGo Tugger kit. The shifts are not neck snapping and you can tell the accumulators are doing their job. With the sift kit installed, the shifts are now more like a 2-stage shift: bump,bump. I think that might be due to the new stacked spring train in the accumulators.

Reverse and drive are not harsh when they engage and they engage almost immediately. Less than half a second to go from neutral to moving without the brake applied.

Light acceleration shifts smoothly, almost like stock but once you get past 1800RPM, the next shift is firmer.

I'm very pleased with myself and the outcome of this project. It took a lot of patience, attention to detail and organization but I proved to myself that I have those skills.

Next to finish is the auxillary cooler, trans temp gauge and build a better dipstick tube. The Banks tube sucks eggs. I'm thinking maybe a Econoline tube and modify to fit. I need something longer and able to get around the turbo pipes.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:22 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Awesome.Congratulations man! I'm not sure what's causing your double bump in your shifts.I have tuggers in my trucks and I don't experience that.Just nice firm shifts and a positive lock of the converter.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:13 AM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
Awesome.Congratulations man! I'm not sure what's causing your double bump in your shifts.I have tuggers in my trucks and I don't experience that.Just nice firm shifts and a positive lock of the converter.
I drove it some more yesterday and I think I am counting the part right before it engages the next gear where it kinda lets up before engaging. It's not slipping or anything, just acts like the stock trans did when shifting up but the time in between shifts is less than before.

I got it inspected yesterday and my new AC parts are on the way, so I should be able to drive it more soon. I'll report any issues here if I run into any.

Old 06-09-2018, 05:05 AM
94iditpuller
Senior User
what size drill bits did you use on your tugger kit.

Old 06-09-2018, 07:38 AM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 94iditpuller
what size drill bits did you use on your tugger kit.
I used the medium to firm sizes. I don't recall the exact sizes, I'll have to refer to the instruction sheet.