Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My New Baby

Old 05-06-2018, 05:33 PM
LOC
Junior User
LOC is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My New Baby

Hey all. New to the forum. Just purchase my first Ford and first diesel truck. I'm in my 40's and have had 20 plus vehicles so this is exciting for us. She's a 2002 7.3 Limited and has had 2 owners, very well cared for and currently sitting at 220,000 miles. We got her for our company to tow our 26' 11,000 lb mobile clothing store trailer. Going to clock lots of highway miles and be seen all over the country on the road at at large events. Immediate plans include:
* replacement seats or new seating covers
* new x code springs and lift goal of around 4"-5"
* wheels and tires shooting for 33"-35"
* replacement rocker panels for rot repair
* front end conversion (year tbd based on $)
* half vehicle wrap with company graphics
* 2008 tow mirrors

Reading a lot on x code springs and people/local shops with lots of strong opinions for added lift. Please feel free to chime in your thoughts on springs or any advice you have as we begin our upgrades. 👍🇺🇸

Old 05-06-2018, 09:41 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Postmaster
pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.
You say very well taken care of but that cancer and worn out seats tell a different story,

Personally I would get a handle on that cancer before I went and dumped a load of money on lifts and tires, assuming the cancer fix is not prohibitly costly then i would do some basic freshenI gotta up of all the little things that tend to fail on these.

Cover all the basics first, Ball joints, tie rods,bump stops,shocks, hub seals, unit bearings, brakes, steering box, alignment, fluids, flush, belt, idler pulley, fan clutch, thermostat , O rings, under cover injector harness, fuel line to head ( they rub and burst ) etc ect

get all the house keeping maintainence tasks done first and then lift and tires to your hearts content.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:02 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Postmaster
pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.
welcome aboard, there is a lot of great resources here to help you keep these old girls going.

Here is A great thread by Armylifer on the maintainence he has done on his new to him Ex.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...de-thread.html

Old 05-06-2018, 10:52 PM
Yoteman
Senior User
Yoteman has a good reputation on FTE.Yoteman has a good reputation on FTE.
Ill have to agree with Pirate. Id spend a lot of money replacing and repairing the vitals on that old truck before I sunk a penny into appearance mods, especially since youll be dragging a trailer all over the country. As badly as its rusted, you may need to replace all the brake lines and other lines, wheel bearings, ball joints, all fluids and filters, tranny, brakes, coolant flushes. Those trannies are known weak points on those trucks, my son went through three in his 02.
welcome to the forum. Good luck and enjoy the new ride!

Old 05-07-2018, 06:45 AM
Oldguyfl
Posting Guru
Oldguyfl has much to be proud ofOldguyfl has much to be proud ofOldguyfl has much to be proud ofOldguyfl has much to be proud ofOldguyfl has much to be proud ofOldguyfl has much to be proud ofOldguyfl has much to be proud ofOldguyfl has much to be proud ofOldguyfl has much to be proud ofOldguyfl has much to be proud of
Welcome aboard. !

You might wish to consider buying a better, rust free, vehicle for your business. As she is going to be seen everywhere, first impressions are a must. Sure as heck people are going to want to look underneath your "show truck" when you are at events, especially if you make it look cool like you are saying. Imagine lipstick on a pig.

Start with something better...

Old 05-07-2018, 07:09 AM
Magnus E
Posting Guru
Magnus E has much to be proud ofMagnus E has much to be proud ofMagnus E has much to be proud ofMagnus E has much to be proud ofMagnus E has much to be proud ofMagnus E has much to be proud ofMagnus E has much to be proud ofMagnus E has much to be proud ofMagnus E has much to be proud ofMagnus E has much to be proud of
Congrats LOC! Looks like you have already prioritized the rot repair and replacing seat covers.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:13 AM
LOC
Junior User
Thanks for the replies guys.

The rust and rot areas are due to the vehicle spending its 16 year life on the water on Long Island and we are addressing it. I have a complete history of vehicle maintenance and close to $11,000 in repairs over the past 8 or so years including tranny rebuild, shocks, struts, steering box etc replaced, glow plus, alternator, oil pan, tons of lines etc. It has been very well cared for mechanically. The previous owners focus was keeping a solid running/reliable truck so the cosmetics were not his top priority. Show truck? No this is not going to be a show truck. Lol - it will be used to tow our company trailer to events. It will be seen on the road but not something people will be crawling underneath or going inside. 👍

Old 05-07-2018, 10:18 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Postmaster
Lets take a look at the X codes by the numbers.

first off your excursion has D codes in Front and G codes in the rear, what this means is that your current spring rate is front 370lbs in and 410lbs in in the rear. Both of these springs have aproxiametly 5 of arc to them.

the X code has a spring rate of 470 lbs inch and about a 6.5 arc.
the additional spring rate and arc will net you about 2.5 of additional ride height.

should be noted that the X code is an optional spring that is part of the snow plow package, it also comes with the snow fighter 60 front axle that has a increased GAWR of 6000

bottom line is the X code is way to much spring rate for the X and will result in poor ride quality.

if I wanted a 5 of additional ride height I would buy a set of springs with the correct spring rate and a larger arc that would give the desired lift, this would result in better handling and ride quality.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:58 PM
hwybee22
Posting Guru
hwybee22 is a name known to allhwybee22 is a name known to allhwybee22 is a name known to allhwybee22 is a name known to allhwybee22 is a name known to allhwybee22 is a name known to all
Good to see the ole girl making a come back. Welcome to the club

Old 05-07-2018, 08:37 PM
SmackDaddy
Shade Tree Wrencher
SmackDaddy has a very good reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a very good reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a very good reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a very good reputation on FTE.
I just installed X and Modified C’s a week ago and love the ride. It’s not a minivan, it’s a truck.

Old 05-08-2018, 03:44 PM
Keeseter CO
Senior User
Keeseter CO has a good reputation on FTE.Keeseter CO has a good reputation on FTE.Keeseter CO has a good reputation on FTE.
Holy cancer, batman! I can confidently say I don't desire the humid/salt climate. When I found my 05, he'd been sitting on a San Antonio car lot for 6 months...sun took it's toll on the leather seats and not being started, near as I could tell, left a lot of the seals and gaskets worthless.

An amazing vehicle, welcome to the club!

EDIT

I thought only the Eddies came with a second row captain? I imagine you could've ordered/configured it as such, but I think this is the first Limited I've seen with second row captains.

Old 05-08-2018, 03:51 PM
LOC
Junior User
It was an option. Love them! Great for separating my teenage boys during trips.

Old 05-08-2018, 06:15 PM
LOC
Junior User
Any recommendations for:
* replacement rocker panels
* seat covers

Thanks

Old 05-08-2018, 08:35 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Postmaster
One of the reasons insurance companies total the Excursion is because many body parts are no longer available.

I use tasca for OEM stuff. I have not seen any aftermarket sheet metal other then hoods and front fenders.

https://www.tascaparts.com/auto-part...ngine/body-cat

edit..... cutting the parts off a rust free Ex in the junk yard is your best option.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:38 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Postmaster
The seat shop makes a good copy of OEM covers

https://www.theseatshop.com/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My New Baby

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.