1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

A Full Tank of Gas and Nowhere To Go

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 03:18 PM
03-F150
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Full Tank of Gas and Nowhere To Go

I have a 2003 F-150 sitting in the driveway. It's been there for about 3 years. Probably hasn't been started in 2 and a half years. The gas tank was filled (93 octane 10% ethanol and large bottle of Techron Chevron fuel injector cleaner) just before it was parked (not planned). I want to get the truck on the road again. I assume the gasoline has turned to crap? Can I siphon out the gas tank (is there an anti-siphon thing to prevent siphoning?) and just put fresh fuel in or am I looking at a lot more work. Flush out the fuel lines and fuel rails? If possible, how would I go about doing that?

I am going to change the oil sometime this week. If I find a lot of gray liquid comes out, should I just give up? The engine only has 41,000+ miles on it. The interior of the truck is very clean and the exterior is pretty good (small rusted through holes of both back bottom corners of bed and chrome part of front bumper is turning into swiss cheese).

I'll try to post some pictures of the truck. What's the best way to post photos here?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:56 PM
enriched&beyound
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
can't really help with picture thing.
yes, there probably is a anti siphon valve....thinking that if you take the hose off the filler neck closer to the tank, you can get around it.

I doubt that you should have trouble with the oil

Old 05-06-2018, 07:45 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
I just dropped the gas tank on my truck to put in a new filter.. You cant stuff a hose down the gas tank pipe and siphon.. When the tube enters the tank, there is a quick 90 elbow and some kind or bracket INSIDE the tank that prevents a hose from being used. I dropped the tank, pulled the pump, then siphoned the gas out.. If I was in your shoes, I think I would take the fuel filter off, (below the drivers seat area), then route a hose from the line into a portable tank...... Your going to have to cycle the key a hundred times to get it out, but that would be the easiest way to dump the tank. I would take out 5 gallons and see what it looks like, then decided if you need it ALL out, or just some new gas mixed with old 50-50% ..........You might even try to start it with the OLD GAS and just see what happens.. Worsts thing that can happen is it wont start ! ... If it starts and runs poorly you can athen make a call.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:47 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
I was using a 5/8 inch OD tygon hose and would not go pasts the elbow in the tank... I have not tried a small hose like 3/8 inch.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:13 AM
rmccbride
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 03-F150
I have a 2003 F-150 sitting in the driveway. It's been there for about 3 years. Probably hasn't been started in 2 and a half years. The gas tank was filled (93 octane 10% ethanol and large bottle of Techron Chevron fuel injector cleaner) just before it was parked (not planned). I want to get the truck on the road again. I assume the gasoline has turned to crap? Can I siphon out the gas tank (is there an anti-siphon thing to prevent siphoning?) and just put fresh fuel in or am I looking at a lot more work. Flush out the fuel lines and fuel rails? If possible, how would I go about doing that?

I am going to change the oil sometime this week. If I find a lot of gray liquid comes out, should I just give up? The engine only has 41,000+ miles on it. The interior of the truck is very clean and the exterior is pretty good (small rusted through holes of both back bottom corners of bed and chrome part of front bumper is turning into swiss cheese).

I'll try to post some pictures of the truck. What's the best way to post photos here?

Thanks for any suggestions.

I was able to get a hose onto my 2002 tank to siphon gas out.. But if I was you I would try starting the truck with the old gas in it it might still be fine.

Old 05-07-2018, 01:42 PM
Johns01
Junior User
take the gas cap off and give the filler tube a sniff
if it still smells like gas .. don't worry about it

if it smells like varnish then you have an issue but that should take 7-15 years to happen in the real world

fuel stabilizer adds ARE NOT the real world

Old 05-10-2018, 07:52 PM
03-F150
Senior User
I guess I will throw a battery in the truck and try starting it. I really don't want to drop the tank unless absolutely necessary. I've heard stories of F-150s leaking fuel after having the tank straps replaced at dealership. They probably didn't support tank well and the filler neck or vent tubes moved too much. I still have original straps (they are in good shape).

I was looking at the truck a couple days ago and saw fluid leaking at left front wheel. The brake hose is leaking. I was going to replace the hose, but I could not budge the fitting. I soaked it overnight with PB Blaster, but no go. I was using a flare nut wrench on brake line fitting and vice grips to hold end of brake hose. It won't budge. I can't use heat with brake fluid slowly leaking out. The fitting was starting to round over (wrench was tight when I first started on it). Might have to cut brake line and install new fitting and reflare the end. What type of flare does the line have (assume double or bubble)?

Old 05-10-2018, 10:11 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
the left front should only be about 2 feet long. I would replace the entire tube up to the valve.

I have also bought 6000 psi STEEL compression fittings at NAPA that you can splice old to new line.. then you don't have to flare the end.

Old 05-11-2018, 05:41 PM
03-F150
Senior User
Originally Posted by steve(ill)
the left front should only be about 2 feet long. I would replace the entire tube up to the valve.

I have also bought 6000 psi STEEL compression fittings at NAPA that you can splice old to new line.. then you don't have to flare the end.
That is a possible solution. Not the prettiest, but it would work. I'm actually thinking of getting the Dorman stainless steel brake line kit for 1997-2003 F-150s. I have a feeling that the front right brake hose is not going to release it's fitting and that hose looks just as bad. I already need to replace brake line running from front to rear axle. There's a connection right by the fuel filter. The kit has that line pre-bent and fittings and flares done.

https://www.dormanproducts.com/gsear...20Line%2520Kit

Old 05-12-2018, 04:37 PM
03-F150
Senior User
The weather has been crappy so I haven't done anything yet. One thing I was thinking about, if the truck does start up and run, I won't be able to move it until I can replace the brake hose(s) and possibly brake lines. You can't move the shifter out of Park without depressing the brake. That won't work right now (I assume). I wanted to move the truck to a better location to work on it. Is there a way to get the truck into neutral (automatic) with no brake hydraulic pressure? Could I remove the brake line connected to leaking brake hose at the other end, and plug the valve?

Old 05-12-2018, 05:28 PM
rmccbride
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 03-F150
The weather has been crappy so I haven't done anything yet. One thing I was thinking about, if the truck does start up and run, I won't be able to move it until I can replace the brake hose(s) and possibly brake lines. You can't move the shifter out of Park without depressing the brake. That won't work right now (I assume). I wanted to move the truck to a better location to work on it. Is there a way to get the truck into neutral (automatic) with no brake hydraulic pressure? Could I remove the brake line connected to leaking brake hose at the other end, and plug the valve?

Are you sure the brake switch is hydraulic and not mechanical? Try it!

Old 05-12-2018, 05:50 PM
03-F150
Senior User
I don't want to drip anymore brake fluid on the driveway and or spray anymore on the frame and wheel/tire. I wrapped the hose with a rag and used zip ties to hold it in place, but it still makes a mess. I ordered the stainless steel brake line kit by Dorman. I'm going to get some Plastic Dip in a spray can and coat the new lines before I install them (I used that stuff on my wheelbarrow handles and it hasn't come off after two years of abuse). Hopefully the weather will cooperate this week.

I'll start spraying all the fittings with PB Blaster tomorrow. A few days of that will hopefully make things go easy (at least the valve is in the engine compartment and it looks nice (no rust). Need to remove the front skid plate also, if I going to replace the right front brake line also (don't think fitting will come free from that hose either).