Very exciting news! Three new cylinder head options

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 12:14 AM
94Booger
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also, and I may be talking out of my backside here given I did like 3 minutes of research lol, but those numbers appear to support a power band between roughly 1300-5000 rpm. If thats correct, that's not too shabby, either.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:18 AM
94Booger
New User
And while I'm still awake, here's a couple questions.

1. What was the reasoning behind not using larger valves?

2. What type of valve job was done?

C. Are you planning on sharing with the class any exhaust flow numbers? Just curious.

Old 07-25-2018, 07:42 AM
Sick6
More Turbo
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Great job! I made 424 track hp (sleeper turbo 300) on a less than optimal build, with a U head that Paul figured flowed 150 on the intake. Still holding out for an X head in my light weight 38, but this U head will definitely be a shot in the arm for all the trucks out there, turbo or not.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:53 PM
worldchampgramp2
Cross-Country
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1-2-3(C) response

Originally Posted by 94Booger
And while I'm still awake, here's a couple questions.

1. What was the reasoning behind not using larger valves?

2. What type of valve job was done?

C. Are you planning on sharing with the class any exhaust flow numbers? Just curious.
94Booger

Please see answers to your 3 questions explained in detail throughout this post. Gramps

Old 07-25-2018, 08:33 PM
weswes01
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey guys, here a pic on the head sitting on the flow bench. Both intake and exhaust ports are at the final size.

It’s nice to see this head get so much attention. Port and valve sizes are chosen based off of legitimate test data. It’s what we all have been wishing for.

Old 07-26-2018, 05:31 AM
worldchampgramp2
Cross-Country
OOPS don't want to confuse anyone. The pic Wes posted is one of my ORIGINAL Preparation H heads (last used in 1974) and NOT either of the EQ heads we are working on for this development program. .Too many heads involved in this project [pun intended]. Will post FINAL port configuration of S/S head--same manifold side view-- soon after i can locate which device it is stored on for download. YOU WILL BE Amazed at the direct comparison and encouraged to see that the much smaller S/S ports damn near flow as much air as this VERY extensively reworked Prep H counterpart. Being able to confidentially state that we NOW have an entry level head that will flow near 230 CFM out of the box, is braging rights evidence that we at Development Center are with it. Sorry WES not your error you rightfully posted what I sent you. Gramps

Old 07-26-2018, 06:42 AM
woodbutcher05
Senior User
Hi Bruce Looking good with much promise.Thanks for posting.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Old 07-26-2018, 07:10 AM
Sick6
More Turbo
Originally Posted by worldchampgramp2
OOPS don't want to confuse anyone. The pic Wes posted is one of my ORIGINAL Preparation H heads (last used in 1974) and NOT either of the EQ heads we are working on for this development program. .Too many heads involved in this project [pun intended]. Will post FINAL port configuration of S/S head--same manifold side view-- soon after i can locate which device it is stored on for download. YOU WILL BE Amazed at the direct comparison and encouraged to see that the much smaller S/S ports damn near flow as much air as this VERY extensively reworked Prep H counterpart. Being able to confidentially state that we NOW have an entry level head that will flow near 230 CFM out of the box, is braging rights evidence that we at Development Center are with it. Sorry WES not your error you rightfully posted what I sent you. Gramps
Definitely looked like we all were "in line" for some serious intake work judging by those intake ports, and the Hawaiian Tropic poster in the background didn't ring a bell either lol.

Very anxious for dyno results, but as far as I'm concerned, the team knocked it out of the park on the first swing.

Old 07-27-2018, 05:14 AM
worldchampgramp2
Cross-Country
Lightbulb FIRST S/S head FINISHED

This is a Major Announcement from our Team here in SWFL.

The completion and release for Dyno development of our entry level U-Flow head is now complete; Dynamometer ready and configured with a Final Chamber volume of

*** 66 CC’s***

Therefore, the remaining decision for all of our customers will be calculating their individual engine build dynamic compression ratio to include:

1) Piston “crown” volume dish (-) or Dome (+) , 2) finished bore size and 3) installed piston deck height.

The only remaining cylinder volume variable could be a non-standard (3.98) stroke, effecting cylinder volume and CID. I know all of you join me in thanking our dedicated, hardworking, behind the scenes individuals, who have MADE THIS HAPPEN.
Greater things are coming stay tuned.Bruce

Last edited by worldchampgramp2; 07-27-2018 at 05:17 AM. Reason: spacing ease of reading
Old 07-27-2018, 07:38 AM
Sick6
More Turbo
Congratulations to the team!!! Thank you all for the hard work and making this a reality.

I already have another nice donation set aside for next month, to help keep things going in the direction we are all striving for.

Old 07-27-2018, 01:09 PM
worldchampgramp2
Cross-Country
Very well stated and likewise appreciated from a much needed daoation perspective.

Here's a repost of the Pay Pal link should anyone else wish to Chip In. Bruce aka "Gramps"

https://www.paypal.com/pools/c/84uHkZRpXq

Old 07-27-2018, 01:28 PM
weswes01
Senior User

Sorry for the confusion everyone.... THIS is the street/strip head with finished port work. The ports are matched to the Fel-Pro performance aftermarket gasket.

Old 07-27-2018, 06:29 PM
worldchampgramp2
Cross-Country
S/S pic claification

Originally Posted by weswes01

Sorry for the confusion everyone.... THIS is the street/strip head with finished port work. The ports are matched to the Fel-Pro performance aftermarket gasket.
One clarification about the above pic. What you see here was prior to the recently completed unshrowding exercise, accomplished this week over a 2-evening work session. I will personally post a clear chamber side pic showing all six nicely unshrouded and fitted withur proven valve size combination affording maximum flow and excellent velocity characteristics

After tomorrows [Saturday] flow work port exploration session.

GRAMPS

Old 07-28-2018, 09:50 AM
pmuller
More Turbo
Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Final chamber volume in the S/S head

Old 07-28-2018, 11:37 AM
weswes01
Senior User
Very nice 👍. I really like how the valve unshrouding came out. It looks like the intake valve/camber were proportional increased. Minimal material removed.... so many people including many engine machinist don’t understand that.

About eight years ago, I picked up a old blown up Honda Dirtbike. I thought it would be fun to rebuild it over winter and race it the following season.

A friend of mine recommended a “really good” machinist, so that’s who I went to. All I needed was the cylinder re sleeved. During our conversation he mentioned that he does a lot of port work, and that he could really do a lot with this motor for an extra $400. I said sure let do it and gave him the whole motor.

Long story short, this guy didn’t have a clue! The first thing I noticed was the bike vibrates like a diesel... he decked the cylinder too much, piston to head contact. So I doubled the base gasket as a quick fix.

I still could not get the bike in tune. It would come in hard, and fall on it face.... and sometimes not at all. I went up and down ten main jet sizes.... bike ran the same!

I finally just just yanked the motor, threw it on the bench and broke it down to see what this guy did. Turns out he used the “Hog this sob out” technique!

At this point I had already missed the first month of race season, and I knew this whole motor was trash... I had nothing left to loose. So I cleaned the motor really well, and used almost two sticks of JB weld puddy to reshape the intake ports and crankcase back to the original design and volume.

The bike ran significantly better! I got to race the rest of the season with no issues. The old Honda was retired after that, and sold as a running bike that needed a whole motor.

Quick Reply: Very exciting news! Three new cylinder head options