Very exciting news! Three new cylinder head options - Page 4 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

Very exciting news! Three new cylinder head options

Old 07-04-2018, 12:29 AM
pmuller
Senior User
pmuller is starting off with a positive reputation.
I want to thank mary-kate and others that posted skepticism because I too was tired of seeing promises of performance parts and then for whatever reason ended up nonexistent.

That's why I started this project several years ago with hopes of success but thanks to life requiring me to move away from the many resources I had developed in Spokane WA. I too became another casualty and the "same old story".
So when Bruce contacted me and explained the resources he had available and his desire to be of service, I gladly partnered with him and turned over what I had in hopes of providing performance parts and service to the Ford 300 six community in a reasonable time line.
I am privileged to be working with Bruce as he brings his knowledge from the Ford Motor Company as part of the former Special Activities engineering team as well as his NHRA racing championships with the 300 six.
There are other key players aside from Bruce and myself working to make this happen.

One of the goals is to record and report parameter or performance changes after a single change is made, examples being port flow with valve size changes and chamber modifications.
We will also provide dyno results with different engine configurations.
This should help a person decide what combination is best for their application.

We are doing our best to achieve the goals we have set.

This first head shown in post #44 will be configured as described by mary-kate and will by run on the dyno before the customer takes procession.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:31 AM
worldchampgramp2
Freshman User
worldchampgramp2 is starting off with a positive reputation.

This will not be a defensive posture response, as my intentions with this overall effort have always been singular as follows:To gather empirical, unimpeachable, R&D information and apply these know (not perceived) findings to performance enhancement parts and assemblies for the 1965-1996 FoMoCo OEM 240/300 CID engines. Have the ability and resources to manufacture and or re-work these individual components and assemblies “in-house” and NOT rely on outside resources to achieve these “lofty” goals. I will try my best to deliver what our program objectives MANDATE and with the assistance of very dedicated Forum members both here and on the Ford6 side WE will succeed. Mary-Kate your comments about me are correct on 3-counts. I am Old by definition, not recognized by Wikipedia; but ‘am working on the latter by contacting Julian Assange.3rd I don’t consider myself famous. In that regard, I did successfully Campaign 2 vehicles down the quarter mile in the 70’s. One the infamous Preparation H Maverick (see Aug 2016 Car Craft pic attached) the other a Don Hardy built Pro-Stock Pinto chassis with a 6-piece 351-C furnace-brazed High exhaust Port head of my own design. NHRA internet posted pic attached. .For all of you who have only heard of but never seen a group photo of All the players in Ford’s Special Vehicles activity; I have included the only one in my possession for informative purposes .Lately, I have had the pleasure of unearthing a treasure trove of useful articles that were published about both of these rides. Soon, with the help of WesWes01 and my extremely well-informed associate PMuller9.WE will be posting these articles in readable format for all to enjoy, as they offer a considerable amount of useable information that can be applied to current u-flow or cross flow engine builds. From some of these files I am including with this post, several pics of yours truly starting with a group photo of 1975 World Champions from my first Major the 1975 NHRA World Finals aks Supernationals, held @ Ontario Motor Speedway, Ontario CA October of ’75. On that ABC Wide World of Sports televised event, final pass toward my 1St Major win (when I had to spot the revered/ feared Rheer & Morrison E/MP Corvette) driven by the late great Lee Shepard. Now a word about the10K fund raising effort “Mary –Kate” dubbed as Paltry or synonymous with measly, our goal is a very conservative figure and is intended to help offset some of the acquisition costs for unique parts & equipment, tooling etc. necessary to bring these 3 simultaneous cylinder head projects to fruition. Quite frankly >had I known how pricey this effort would get in a hurry, I probably would never have committed to spearheading its development. To date, I have personally funded north of 6K as my donation to the cause. Everyone please be advised, I will never reimburse myself for these personal out-of-pocket expenses/contributions, especially not out of the development Pay Pal funding effort. That’s not in my dna. Being the financial Lone Ranger is not a comfortable position I find myself in, but Just like my successful drag racing career with 6 National titles, 4 runner-ups and 1 Division III championship and NO MAJOR SPONSORSHIP assistance, against all odds it was accomplished.I have not lost my will to win or my ego drive toward success. My only other Major victory and btw last trip down the ubiquitous 1320 was the hard fought 1978 US Nationals. That’s me in my silver jacket with toughest race I ever won and our mascot muffin. If you wish to view what a cross flow head did on that Labor Day weekend – 40-years ago- click on the following link action starts around 1:13 min into the broadcast video.

Have a great 4TH of July.Bruce

Last edited by worldchampgramp2; 07-05-2018 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Replace watermarked pic with clear copy
Old 07-04-2018, 11:42 PM
mary-kate
Junior User
mary-kate is starting off with a positive reputation.
Don't get me wring - I'm not trying to **** on anyone's parade, even though my pessimism (or realism?) may make it seem that way.

I ask myself: What is he trying to do? From the forum information available, it seems this project is just for fun and not a business per se. Is the goal to make gnarly, high-flow heads that only one or two people per year are going to drop the cash on? Or is the goal to produce good performance heads to meet a variety of hobbyist's needs? The answer seems to be both, and neither - it's hard to tell.

Clifford Performance is a good example of what is in demand with the hot-rod six crowd...not much. A cam, a header, an intake manifold, some other trinkety stuff. Is this because demand isn't there? Or is it because there are so few parts currently available? It's a good question. But, Clifford's makes no HP or torque promises and publishes no numbers. Too much Horsepower TV and forum bull**** has made consumer expectations equate purchase satisfaction with big numbers...expectations that a 300 cannot meet because comparing the 300 to a V8 is not even close to being apples to apples.

We're dealing with an almost square-bore engine with a terrible Rod/Stroke ratio, making any head and cam combination peaky. Charge velocity has to be kept high in order to keep filling the cylinder when piston speed drops to almost nothing after what, 120ish degrees? The geometry of the 300's reciprocating assembly leaves a huge chunk of the last part of intake stroke producing almost no pressure differential to encourage continued filling through an ever closing intake valve. Ford did an awesome job countering this with the super-long runner EFI intake manifold, but it didn't matter much as the consumer engines were detuned to prevent the 300 from competing with the V8s. Unplugged, these engines will perform admirably in the 3 -4K RPM range and survive with a stock bottom end - but you can't make big horsepower here as the calculation doesn't allow it.

Clifford's doesn't want to acknowledge this for fear their stuff wouldn't sell; 300 owners don't want to admit this because it doesn't sound impressive at the Saturday night social. Too often, bragging rights eclipse driving satisfaction. But, there are devotees, and there is money to be made and fun to be had.

I'm not typing all of this to destroy the project or take the wind out of anyone's sails. I do want to see this succeed, but without more transparency and an articulable goal or definable product, I don't see this getting past a bunch of premature excitement and internet buzz. I really hope y'all prove me wrong and finally bring marketable options to 300 performance...a much better option than DIYing a shot-in-the-dark port and polish and running back and forth to a machinist that doesn't want to do anything they don't have jigs and settings pre-programmed for already.

In the mean time, I would be interested in Mr. Sizemore talking more about himself and his racing program and, of course, more about his Boss 300 with two-piece pushrods.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:14 AM
pmuller
Senior User
Originally Posted by mary-kate View Post
We're dealing with an almost square-bore engine with a terrible Rod/Stroke ratio, making any head and cam combination peaky. Charge velocity has to be kept high in order to keep filling the cylinder when piston speed drops to almost nothing after what, 120ish degrees? The geometry of the 300's reciprocating assembly leaves a huge chunk of the last part of intake stroke producing almost no pressure differential to encourage continued filling through an ever closing intake valve.
Just to be accurate, the 300 six with the stock rod has max piston velocity at 74 degrees and the gMin occurs at 140 degrees.
At 120 degrees the piston velocity is still 70% of Vmax and even at gMin it is still at 50% of Vmax.
The low R/S ratio does effect charge velocity around BDC, just not to the degree as the above statement sounds.
The increase in piston velocity around TDC was not addressed making the picture one sided.

As was previously stated: The overall effort is to
gather empirical, unimpeachable, R&D information and apply these known (not perceived) findings to performance enhancement parts and assemblies for the 1965-1996 FoMoCo OEM 240/300 CID engines.
There will be plenty of data posted as it becomes available giving transparency to the project as it develops.

The needs of the Ford 300 six performance crowd is a compilation of info taken from the hundreds of forum posts and has no bearing from offerings of any performance company.

I'm glad you are looking for our success.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:25 AM
worldchampgramp2
Freshman User
Arrow Just when you thought Who is Worldchamp Gramp??

Originally Posted by mary-kate View Post
Don't get me wring - I'm not trying to **** on anyone's parade, even though my pessimism (or realism?) may make it seem that way.

I ask myself: What is he trying to do? From the forum information available, it seems this project is just for fun and not a business per se. Is the goal to make gnarly, high-flow heads that only one or two people per year are going to drop the cash on? Or is the goal to produce good performance heads to meet a variety of hobbyist's needs? The answer seems to be both, and neither - it's hard to tell.

Clifford Performance is a good example of what is in demand with the hot-rod six crowd...not much. A cam, a header, an intake manifold, some other trinkety stuff. Is this because demand isn't there? Or is it because there are so few parts currently available? It's a good question. But, Clifford's makes no HP or torque promises and publishes no numbers. Too much Horsepower TV and forum bull**** has made consumer expectations equate purchase satisfaction with big numbers...expectations that a 300 cannot meet because comparing the 300 to a V8 is not even close to being apples to apples.

We're dealing with an almost square-bore engine with a terrible Rod/Stroke ratio, making any head and cam combination peaky. Charge velocity has to be kept high in order to keep filling the cylinder when piston speed drops to almost nothing after what, 120ish degrees? The geometry of the 300's reciprocating assembly leaves a huge chunk of the last part of intake stroke producing almost no pressure differential to encourage continued filling through an ever closing intake valve. Ford did an awesome job countering this with the super-long runner EFI intake manifold, but it didn't matter much as the consumer engines were detuned to prevent the 300 from competing with the V8s. Unplugged, these engines will perform admirably in the 3 -4K RPM range and survive with a stock bottom end - but you can't make big horsepower here as the calculation doesn't allow it.

Clifford's doesn't want to acknowledge this for fear their stuff wouldn't sell; 300 owners don't want to admit this because it doesn't sound impressive at the Saturday night social. Too often, bragging rights eclipse driving satisfaction. But, there are devotees, and there is money to be made and fun to be had.

I'm not typing all of this to destroy the project or take the wind out of anyone's sails. I do want to see this succeed, but without more transparency and an articulable goal or definable product, I don't see this getting past a bunch of premature excitement and internet buzz. I really hope y'all prove me wrong and finally bring marketable options to 300 performance...a much better option than DIYing a shot-in-the-dark port and polish and running back and forth to a machinist that doesn't want to do anything they don't have jigs and settings pre-programmed for already.

In the mean time, I would be interested in Mr. Sizemore talking more about himself and his racing program and, of course, more about his Boss 300 with two-piece pushrods.
Mary-Kate Here are some of the recent "treasure trove" discoveries I have unearthed from among numerous magazine articles [containing published technical info] that are insync with what you requested and a "National Dragster" rag mag series started in the 90's entitled "Where are they now?" to give you a better sketch of my background. Note date, something more recent LOL Oct 25, 1996.

The PHR and Hot Rod Mag articles contain all of the technical details of engine & chassis configurations for my “Pro-Stock Six” Pinto as of late 1974 & early ‘75. These very comprehensive articles occurred prior to my 9-second ride achieving National notoriety status, with subsequent NHRA Championship titles spanning 4 years.

The Car Craft H/MP comparison article with Glen Self’s 292 Chevy was given to me by my son-in-law last May when I made my “for the project” trip to Michigan to acquire much needed Ford OEM blueprints of the 240/300 engine circa 1968 & 1973. Forum members at large, currently, contemplating significant performance improvements, with either the U-Flow or anyone’s cross flow head, could benefit by incorporating these engine build tips and techniques into their overall plans.

Collectively these (3) Magazine articles contain all of the salient details necessary for success. NOW, imagine combining these 45 y.o. build techniques with today’s readily available aftermarket parts/pieces + numerous new offerings our TEAM will be producing for even the most demanding 4.9L HP/Torque needs.

In closing I will encourage ALL interested parties to this imperative research and development project, to stay tuned. Remember to: keep the faith, pray for our successes, respond with your ideas, constructive criticism is encouraged, NO requests will be trashed with indifference, YOU are our primary concern and valued audience. Bruce

Old 07-13-2018, 04:03 PM
mary-kate
Junior User
mary-kate is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just to be accurate, the 300 six with the stock rod has max piston velocity at 74 degrees and the gMin occurs at 140 degrees.
At 120 degrees the piston velocity is still 70% of Vmax and even at gMin it is still at 50% of Vmax.
The low R/S ratio does effect charge velocity around BDC, just not to the degree as the above statement sounds.
Seeing stuff like this is very encouraging, as these projects almost never have members that bring technical expertise to the table even close to this level. Very cool; I'm over my head, and I know it. You'll have to forgive my guessing at the specifics of the 300, as my experience in crank geometry is from steam-piston engines (restoration)...and even that seems like a lifetime ago. I'm not going to dust off any of my old text books to review your results.

My last six-equipped truck (a SWB 5 speed MAF 2WD) was hit from the side and I had to let it go. In town, there is a for sale sign in a two-tone blue, almost rust-free bullnose F250 4WD 4 speed with a six that I was very tempted to buy and compare to my newer Gas F250. If I bought it, it would only be a matter of time before I converted it to EFI, and a hopped-up cylinder head would be just the ticket for a fun project - especially since I never sold the Megasquirt II from my old six.

My cynicism was won over by you gentlemen, and I got excited enough I almost ran out and bought that F250 last week hoping to get in on the ground floor of this endeavor, and participate in what may be an actual grassroots engineering success around my favorite ICE of all time. I was impressed and emotionally addicted.

However - the internet is a very small place:

some of the “Flame Throwing” members over on the Ford-Truck forum. … For those of you who want to witness this attempted put down, directed at me personally and other of our key team members, please follow this link to the Ford-Truck forum... PMuller had to step in and temper some of my planned responses so we didn’t start the dreaded back and forth p…….ing contest.
I'll do something I never do: I will directly apologize for coming on so strong. But, you have the burden of proof when it comes to soliciting;especially when the low level of involvement on this forum (before this thread) and lack of search engine hits made Bruce Sizemore seem a phantom of the internet. And, I do take offense to my broad content being simply labeled a put down or regarded as petty flame throwing. I never guessed my thoughtful content would brand me a mere internet troll, even if it was abrasive.

Of course, much of this may be caused by a generational gap - I assume you are twice my age, and transitioning to the internet after a lifetime without it makes for a different experience and different expectations. So, no hard feelings. I did enjoy reading your articles and other content.

However, comments like these further restore my disenchantment:

I will personally prepare an un-ported as cast 4.9L EFI Ford OEM head with stock Ford valves this weekend for CFM flow bench numbers.
This week our team decided to ‘check for fit before we release’ all our bolt on U-Flow components...
I assumed in good faith that these concerns were addressed first as opposed to being an afterthought. This supports my suspicion that this project was mainly for yourself, and accidentally became a kinda-sorta business...which is the way a lot of great products have been made, for sure. But, if a product is going to be successful, you have to make it for the customers - it didn't seem, at first, that this was being taken into consideration. Hobbyists have a much different list of demands than racers. Personally, I prefer off-the-shelf parts, specifically because I hate talking to machinists and parts guys as they always assume things based on my appearance, or just plain don't take me seriously. I don't look like I know what I'm talking about, and I am treated as such, so ordering pseudo-anonymously off the internet is a much better experience for me. But, I have to believe that I am going to get exactly what I think I'm getting, as there is so much room for disappointment and frustration in long-distance transactions.

Before I found that bullnose F250, I was preparing to drive 8 - 10 hours to pick up a rust-free six with a stick (no V8s, no automatics), as there aren't many in Nebraska. But, after all this, my excitement has waned, and I'm burnt out from this emotional rollercoaster - one I mentioned riding several times in the past with promises of well-researched and executed 300 performance heads. I'm too old to start hammering in header clearance and cutting holes in firewalls. I'm not willing to sacrifice drivability or air conditioning for any product. So, I'll let you boys do your thing and work out the kinks, and maybe next spring you will still be selling stuff. Instead of buying a new toy, I've decided we are going to remodel our master bathroom instead. After all these years, I want my own vanity.

Anyway, I am a transient poster, as shown by my low post count and long membership. I won't get into a back and forth, I won't make any more criticisms or requests, I won't clutter up the other threads and I won't lurk - I'll just disappear again, as it seems my lack of overt enthusiasm and preference for proof over prayers disqualifies any experience, insights, or resources I may have to offer. I don't need this forum to prove my insignificance - I've got the rest of the world to remind me of that. I'll check back later, and live vicariously through the posts of beta testers and first-round customers instead of being one.

Again, and sincerely, no hard feelings.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:41 PM
The Frenchtown Flyer
Posting Guru
The Frenchtown Flyer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by tjc transport View Post
it would be nice if these heads were for the "small six" instead of the 240-300.
my bet is they would be very popular in the car crowds.
Are the existing aluminum aftermarket (and the Australian production) heads very popular in the "small six" car crowds?

I once had an aluminum canted-valve crossflow cylinder head complete with induction system, cast aluminum valve cover, etc to sell. I could not generate any interest in it. It sold for a pittance - a few hundred bucks. For me that was a real awakening as to the size of the intersection of interest and willingness to shell out money for that sort of upgrade.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:07 PM
worldchampgramp2
Freshman User
FTF your post above seems a bit off topic for a Big Six link don't you think? Sorry you let such an awesome looking x-flow gem slip away, must have been in a weak moment. No worry we all have them it's part of living life in the fast lane. .

enjoy that beautiful MI summer, its hotter than Dyno headers on an LBT engine in SWFL. Gramps

Old 07-14-2018, 09:46 AM
The Frenchtown Flyer
Posting Guru
The Frenchtown Flyer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by worldchampgramp2 View Post
FTF your post above seems a bit off topic for a Big Six link don't you think? Sorry you let such an awesome looking x-flow gem slip away, must have been in a weak moment. No worry we all have them it's part of living life in the fast lane. .

enjoy that beautiful MI summer, its hotter than Dyno headers on an LBT engine in SWFL. Gramps
Insofar as tjc transport's question was about an equivalent small six application I thought he deserved an answer - or at least an opinion. I bought the Aussie head from a fellow six racer, sure that I could flip it and make a profit. Alas, I was mistaken.
Re: SWFL heat. I'm currently riding my bicycle thru SE Nebraska / Kansas where yesterday it was 94 degrees. HOTT.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:12 AM
worldchampgramp2
Freshman User
Expanding Development Team update

Originally Posted by The Frenchtown Flyer View Post
Insofar as tjc transport's question was about an equivalent small six application I thought he deserved an answer - or at least an opinion. I bought the Aussie head from a fellow six racer, sure that I could flip it and make a profit. Alas, I was mistaken.
Re: SWFL heat. I'm currently riding my bicycle thru SE Nebraska / Kansas where yesterday it was 94 degrees. HOTT.
FTF speaking of Aussie I Wanted you to be the First to know that we have a 'New Player' who has joined our exciting 3-head development program the one and only Al Turner pictured here with me aa the Development facility here in SWFL. Al was invited to 7am Sat ritual breakfast and I was floored & thrilled to see him again after no contact since 1968, when he left our Ford Division race group and moved to the L/M contingent. Factoid, when the Ford racing program was shut down by Mr. Ford in 1971, Al was taped on the shoulder to become Ford’s Australian motorsports manager and moved Down Under, You are probably aware Ford international (worldwide) was insulated from Mr. Ford’s unfortunate decision to end ALL US motorsports activity in 1971. BTW we both have been living less than 15 miles apart here in Sunny Florida and were unaware of each other’s presence. Enjoy your trip, safe travels and keep that Motorhome roof side up. Bruce Sizemore, nicknamed at Ford by Al and others “Finley J” no,....... not now for that story.

Last edited by worldchampgramp2; 07-15-2018 at 07:18 AM. Reason: auto save override not expected
Old 07-15-2018, 02:28 PM
catoe67
New User
catoe67 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Would these be suitable for a carbureted head, I'm doing a rebuild on 300 inline 6 from 1977. This will be my first rebuild so I'm fairly clueless when it comes to this.

Old 07-15-2018, 03:08 PM
Sick6
Elder User
Sick6 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Put me down for an X head. 1 piece casting would be preferred if that becomes an option.

Fortunately for me, I am starting a fresh build from the ground up for my 38 Ford turbo inliner, so I will be saving for the proper rods, pistons, etc. as my project gets started and the X head development continues.

That being said, business has been very good in my Ford performance shop and am currently booked until next June. This allows me to to work a few hours on Sunday and donate some of that money to the cause. I am happy to donate to this cause, and the dyno information as an added bonus will certainly be priceless.

This team developing these heads is for real. Paul (pmuller) knows engines,combo's, and all the technical data. Combine that with a champion inline racer, Ford developers, top notch facility, and a dyno cell, and we have a recipe for results.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:52 PM
pmuller
Senior User
Originally Posted by catoe67 View Post
Would these be suitable for a carbureted head, I'm doing a rebuild on 300 inline 6 from 1977. This will be my first rebuild so I'm fairly clueless when it comes to this.
Yes.
If you use a 22 cc dish hypereutectic piston the compression ratio can be from 8.9 to 9.3 depending on how much you deck the block.
We will know more about the finished chamber volume very soon.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:57 PM
worldchampgramp2
Freshman User
Smile Words of Encouragement

Originally Posted by Sick6 View Post
Put me down for an X head. 1 piece casting would be preferred if that becomes an option.

Fortunately for me, I am starting a fresh build from the ground up for my 38 Ford turbo inliner, so I will be saving for the proper rods, pistons, etc. as my project gets started and the X head development continues.

That being said, business has been very good in my Ford performance shop and am currently booked until next June. This allows me to to work a few hours on Sunday and donate some of that money to the cause. I am happy to donate to this cause, and the dyno information as an added bonus will certainly be priceless.

This team developing these heads is for real. Paul (pmuller) knows engines,combo's, and all the technical data. Combine that with a champion inline racer, Ford developers, top notch facility, and a dyno cell, and we have a recipe for results.
Slick6 As the famous Clint Eastwood line states “Make my Day"' and you Sir have most certainly accomplished that in one very flattering, unsolicited post. I will make the other team members aware of your interests and generous offer to chip in. Expect a PM this week so we can explore our development plans along with options we both may have. Sounds like you’re a busy man and like us, always must be aware of our customer’s wants and needs. I consider myself very lucky to have assembled such an overqualified group of Likeminded Ford talent, that would be difficult to gather even if the circumstances were driven by a well-funded Corporate alternative. Cheers, Bruce Sizemore

Old 07-16-2018, 01:26 AM
catoe67
New User
catoe67 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Consider me interested then. Which would you recommend. I'm building more towards torque and driveability than top end.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Very exciting news! Three new cylinder head options

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.