Very exciting news! Three new cylinder head options

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 05:54 PM
frankob29
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by weswes01
Hello everyone,

There is some exciting news in the Ford six world. Three NEW cylinder heads are in the prototype phase!

One will be an updated EFI chamber head. It will have a thicker deck, improved ports, and more resistant to cracking than the OEM version.

The second head will be the “Max flow U head”. It will be the same as the first, but will be CNC ported for better flow (around 200-250 cfm)

The grand finally will be an “all out” Aluminum Cross Flow Head! Estimated flow is around 350 CFM.

The master mind behind these efforts is a racing legend named Bruce Sizemore. The Max U flow head will be based off head he used in his “Preparation H” car.

Bruce is not doing this alone, there are many other racing legends and engineers contributing to this project. It is very much a group effort, as we all want this project to succeed!

My efforts in this project is to find people who are interested in one of these cylinder heads. WE NEED A HEAD COUNT! Without knowing how many people are interested, we won’t know how many to produce. This will be a LIMITED PRODUCTION!

I’d like to clarify that I WILL NOT be taking money. I just need names and contact information to forward to the rest of the team!

Wes
Definitely interested in the aluminum cross flow.
Been watching and hoping for a long time.
You can contact me at 469-747-4653 or frankob29@gmail.com.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:09 PM
94Booger
New User
I'm interested in at least the U head, and very interested in the crossflow head, provided some sort of intake solution is implemented.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:11 PM
94Booger
New User
And just out of curiosity, what are the initial ballpark hp/tq estimates you guys figure will be capable with the U head and the crossflow? I know there's a crapton of variables, and testing needed etc etc. Just wondering what you guys are thinking.

Old 06-10-2018, 10:24 PM
pmuller
More Turbo
Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by 94Booger
And just out of curiosity, what are the initial ballpark hp/tq estimates you guys figure will be capable with the U head and the crossflow? I know there's a crapton of variables, and testing needed etc etc. Just wondering what you guys are thinking.
The U head with a flat tappet hydraulic lifter street cam should make just over 300 hp.
Flat tappet solid lifter cam and high compression should get over 400 hp.
A roller cam will improve those numbers.

The cross flow head is capable of over 400 hp with a hydraulic lifter street cam and 600 hp with a solid lifter roller cam and high compression.
The crossflow head requires a split duration cam profile with much more exhaust duration than intake duration and a wide LSA for street use.

Old 06-10-2018, 10:45 PM
94Booger
New User
So what are the proposed intake options for the crossflow head? Makes no sense to offer us up some PED's without a right and proper delivery method. Someone either on this thread or the FordSix thread mentioned something about the carb intakes might work, just turn 'em around to the other side. What about us EFI guys? Are we gonna have to revert to a reversed carb style intake, throw an aftermarket self tuning 4bbl TBI/EFI system on it, and go fight the feller at the inspection station for tags? Lol

Old 06-10-2018, 10:52 PM
pmuller
More Turbo
Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
What would make the most sense is to have a set of runners where you can bolt on various plenums for different applications.
The runners would have bosses for injectors.

What would you like to see for an intake design?

Old 06-25-2018, 08:33 PM
weswes01
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Project Update from Bruce.

Finally we are documenting some quantifiable flow numbers for our 1ST u-flow street/strip head. We have settled on a semi-final intake port design that has a very respectable 215-220 cfm maximum flow at .600 valve lift. Several more prototype intake ports are being evaluated that will maintain this upper end flow and also improve the very important off-seat to the .300 lift flow. In my opinion and with the knowledge and approval of Paul Muller these Very Important attributes such as torque building lower rpm performance have always been one of our prioritized program objectives. This weekend we will also have combustion chamber volume cc numbers of the street/strip finished product for static compression ratio calculations.
My Personal thanks to some very thoughtful Forum Members who have recently made much needed donations via the following link https://paypal.me/pools/campaign/109278162877508656
EXCITING NEWS>> The program committee has decided to announce a rather unique “thank you” to all those who contribute thru this PayPal program process. You will be contacted individually and invited to view [LIVE Dynamometer Sessions] via closed circuit internet on an invitation only basisvia a link supplied using the forum pm notification process. We anticipate a total of 30-40 hours of well-planned in advance dyno sessions, to ferret out all the multiple engine configurations & combinations we believe necessary for these THREE unique (2) new u-flow and (1) cross flow cyl hd offerings.
PLEASE submit any and all finished product content ideas that you deem important as we cannot think of everything.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:39 PM
94Booger
New User
So...if we're pinching and saving our pennies so we can purchase one of these heads, and are unable to make a donation....that means we cant watch the dyno sessions? *throws a millenial style temper tantrum*

Old 06-25-2018, 08:43 PM
94Booger
New User
All joking aside, I personally would like to see you guys test that hot U head with a 274-ish cam, long tubes, and a dual 2bbl intake with efi throttle bodies from Holley or whoever. Im betting that would make not only a killer look under the hood, but also reliable killer power too.

...now if only that intake idea wasn't so bloody expensive....

Old 06-25-2018, 11:03 PM
weswes01
Senior User
Originally Posted by 94Booger
So...if we're pinching and saving our pennies so we can purchase one of these heads, and are unable to make a donation....that means we cant watch the dyno sessions? *throws a millenial style temper tantrum*
lol I’m with you.

I donated a small amount. It was what I felt comfortable parting with.

I dont own a tv. The way I looked at it was, it would be my neflix bill... if I had one.

I think it would be cool to see these motors going back in for dyno testing.

Old 07-02-2018, 10:46 PM
mary-kate
Senior User
This whole thing gives me the *******. I find it hard to believe that a bunch of forum talk and random pictures is going to produce a product - especially one that will prove viable for long-term, hot-rod use. Not to mention that the donation page gives no indication of how close they are to reaching their goal of $10,000 - an amount that seems paltry for thorough R&D on a head that is cut and spliced together. Either there really are a handful of old, bored racers sitting around looking to do some hot-rod philanthropy, or it's an extremely well researched and orchestrated scam.

Bruce Sizemore doesn't seem to have a Wikipedia page. And, I can't find anything other than some articles on him slapping two sliced 351C heads on a 300 back in the day - articles that are so sparse and sporadic they make Mr. Sizemore's notoriety stem from being notorious instead of successful.

Cutting up LS heads and using them on a 300 was done like a decade ago...around the same time that Classic Inlines and Clifford performance (IIRC) teamed-up to produce a new aluminum casting for Ford sixes - a project that sold only a few prototypes before being abandoned as cost-prohibitive in the late 2000s. Heads for the 300 were never produced; only the small block six. There was a resurgence of some semblance of this near twenty year old project earlier this year at Vintage Inlines...but you can't buy one. They're out and don't know when any more will be available.

Every single time I have gotten my hopes up that I will be able to buy a quality hot-rod head for a 300 they have been dashed. I am not excited by this thread, or the one on the other forum.

I say all of this so you know where I stand as a potential customer. I am the kind of child-less dork that is willing to spend a few thousand dollars on a fun, weird setup like this just to play with it. But, I've seen these ideas and heard these promises before. I almost put down a deposit on an all aluminum 300 head back in the early 2000s and I'm glad I didn't, as there were rumors of people not getting their money back when the project was dumped. Plus, I'm not going to race - I'd buy a street/strip head...after a test-mule did twenty-five to fifty thousand miles without a weld or head gasket failure.

I wont part with a dime until someone driving a resto-mod truck with one of these heads towing ten thousand pounds blows my doors off .

Old 07-02-2018, 11:21 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 117 Posts
I have to say I too am skeptical. It does, pardon the lingo, sound like a barroom girl speil. The performance 300 head has nearly reached the status of urban myth. So, surely, you expect some doubters. Afterall, there is no oversight via paypal, nothing for us to check to confirm that work is being done. So far, you're just text on a forum. And to be frank, I'm surprised that the forum and the administrators and the moderators would allow a thread asking for money. Look, I'm not wanting to offend anyone, but business is just that. Show proof or go home.Straight out plain talk. AbandonedBronco, is this legit? Do you know for sure? If not, why is it allowed on the forum?

Old 07-03-2018, 12:26 AM
weswes01
Senior User
I was very reluctant to post the pay pal information because I was afraid of starting this. After it did not receive the negative feed back I expected over at ford six, I dicided to give it a shot. So I want to be very clear about something, I DO NOT want anyone to feel like it’s being pushed upon you. If you have any hesitation about it, don’t do it.

Did this throw an alert on my “bs” meter? Sure, you bet. And it will for anyone asking for money. It checks out though. Here are the facts I know:

1) There is a man in Florida who has a passion for racing these motors

2) He has had a successful racing career and magazine articals to prove it

3) He is currently working on cylinder heads for these motors and has pictures to prove it.

4) There has been a few attempts at this with little success of making a off the self product. Which is why I would like to see this succeed.

5) There has been a well know forum member who recently met Bruce and his work facility

6) If anyone wanted to start a scam, they would have to be the dumbest person I know to target to ford inline six community! No one is retiring on five dollars here and there out of an audience of maybe 1,000?!

As reassurance to everyone reading this, I will do my diligence as a forum member and cross check his intentions.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:06 AM
weswes01
Senior User

What you see here is a 1.83” intake valve and 1.60” exhaust. These sizes have to produced the best flow. With the intake ported, they are getting 215 - 220 cfm @ .600” of lift while maintaining good flow at off seat to .300” of lift.

Obviously no work has been done to the combustion chamber yet.

Last edited by weswes01; 07-03-2018 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Adding info
The following users liked this post:
Old 07-03-2018, 02:04 PM
mary-kate
Senior User
Those are pretty good numbers for a factory iron head.

But, as a potential customer, I'm not swayed because I'm not going to run .600 lift on a street six. A cam providing that much bump would also have a thumpy idle; if I want vibrations I'll go with a V8.

--

Let's all be honest about these engines: you get the best out of the 300 by driving it like a diesel - you get the rods out of a 300 by driving it like a V8.

Clifford Performance's "6=8" moniker mildly pisses me off. Why the V8 envy? I like the 300 because of what it is, not for what it isn't. There are lots of examples of high horsepower N/A and turbo 300s, but they are almost all track queens. None of them are daily driven street rods because the 300 wont survive being driven like a V8. A few 6K+ RPM passes down the track before a tear-down is fine I'm sure, but making a habit of wheezing to 5K trying to keep up on the interstate will ruin a 300.

The old man wants to relive his glory years as he comes closer and closer to spitting in Death's eye - that's fine. But Mr. Sizemore is heading straight for disappointment if he's trying to leave some kind of legacy in the Ford six world by selling race heads. The only interest you'll generate is by convincing clueless weirdos that you have the snake oil to cure their common case of the slow. In the Toyota pickup community, LCE Performance does this: they sell race parts to suckers with stock short blocks, and then they take to the forums wondering how spending a few thousand dollars on their truck still gives them less power than their wife's minivan. Selling a head that makes power above 5K to weekend rodders will just make Sizemore a four-letter word as high-mileage bottom ends start to grenade while making maybe 50 more horsepower.

If you're really interested in what is going to make me part with my money in a replacement head for the 300: no smog holes; decked; new valve guides; new valve seats; new valves with a multi-angle valve job; machined for snap in valve seals (depending on year); machined for rocker studs; gasket matched ports; mild porting and radiusing; polished exhaust ports; mild deshrouding while maintaining good, heart-shaped quench; CC'd ports and chambers; casting flash removed and drain holes enlarged. Oversize valves are good as long as they don't hurt flow and keep charge velocity high. All of this shipped to my door with an airflow report card and ready for a coat of paint and installation. That's what I want. As far as price goes: for less than $1,000 I'm willing to skip collaborating with a stand-offish machinist that hates working on weird stuff.

I'd likely buy an all aluminum crossflow head - but the casting would have to be engineered to accommodate street friendly port volumes or you'll automatically limit the customer base to people that don't like to drive their trucks.

Quick Reply: Very exciting news! Three new cylinder head options