2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

84 month Financing,Crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 03:40 PM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
84 month is fine as long as you're doing it because the other uses for your money will guarantee you a better rate of return after taxes. Any other reason to me sounds like the truck is not affordable (which they can be if you overbuy). I financed the last two trucks for 36 month terms and paid them in 24. Mostly did that to bolster the credit rating.

84 months pretty much guarantees you'll be upside down on the loan at least for the entire duration of your warranty. I just can't imagine being in that position if life sells you some lemons and requires you to get out of the truck.

Old 05-06-2018, 03:50 PM
nico963
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Dim Sum
84 month is fine as long as you're doing it because the other uses for your money will guarantee you a better rate of return after taxes. Any other reason to me sounds like the truck is not affordable (which they can be if you overbuy). I financed the last two trucks for 36 month terms and paid them in 24. Mostly did that to bolster the credit rating.

84 months pretty much guarantees you'll be upside down on the loan at least for the entire duration of your warranty. I just can't imagine being in that position if life sells you some lemons and requires you to get out of the truck.
I agree 100%

Old 05-06-2018, 03:52 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Absolutely one will be under water with an 84 month note. Thosands of $$ disappear as soon as it is driven off the lot - but the debt remains, and so does the interest on that debt. Nice work if you can get it. Not buying more than you can afford gives you options if things were ever to go sideways for whatever reason.

The law of supply and demand applies to money, and credit too. Cars would be a lot cheaper if more people paid cash. If the only thing keeping car makers in business is running Americans into bankruptcy, hell let 'em die now, it's only a matter of time. Wages have been stagnant 40 years now, and today both parents (if there even ARE two parents) have to work to make ends meet, back in the day only dad worked. Moms were expected to stay home with the children, as society then had antiquated, backward ideas such as women were better mothers, goofy stuff like that.

Old 05-06-2018, 04:45 PM
lawnspecialties
More Turbo
Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts
I go 60 months and then set up my payments so its paid off in about 42 months. But if I fall on a hard month, I can resort back to the lesser payment or if really needed, I can skip a payment because I'll be so far ahead. Right now, my next payment is not due until August 15. But I'll make my next payment around June 1 just like normal.

Old 05-06-2018, 05:25 PM
wildcard30
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Took the Ford money to finance with them. Flipped the loan as I always do. I ended up flipping it once more from credit union to credit union. The last flip they gave me 1.05% apr on a 60 month loan. Put enough down so my payment are low. I also make half the payment twice a month. That helps with the interest and reduces the principle a little faster.

Old 05-06-2018, 05:27 PM
slapshot12
More Turbo
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
I would never go 84 mo, 72 mo is my limit. But, since new vehicle prices are steadily increasing, the car industry will need it to keep selling vehicles. I never imagined I'd ever buy a truck with a sticker over $70k. But new car prices are going up faster than most peoples salary, especially the ones that car shop by payment.

Old 05-06-2018, 05:49 PM
PremierPOWER
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would never finance something that I don’t have the cash to pay 100% cash for. That being said, I financed my 450 Limited because I got 1.9% financing for 48 months and my money is making over 10%, so would be dumb to pay cash. I financed 100% of it without putting a dime down. Felt kind of weird driving a ~ $95k truck off the lot without having to make a payment for 45 days ha

Old 05-06-2018, 05:52 PM
ytechie
Mountain Pass
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
To me, the rate is far more important than the term. I would happily do a 10 year loan if the rate was right.

Also so keep in mind that cars these days last a long time. Especially the diesel.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:33 PM
DSLTRK60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 425 Likes on 238 Posts
The only problem is you don't want to be upside down on a vehicle. The longer you finance, the larger chance you will be stuck owing more than the truck is worth. You also carry liability of payment longer, if the economy dips. (which it will).

I've found 5 yrs with 20% down driven 15k a year leaves a comfortable margin with these diesel trucks; ie the vehicle is paid off yet has substantial residual value.

Anybody that is spending this amount of money should do a cash flow diagram to see where you'll be and what you will be paying out.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:53 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
Tedster9 has an uncommon amount of common sense.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:06 PM
BillyE
Fleet Mechanic
Received 202 Likes on 111 Posts
Depends on the rate, as some have said. I’d finance mine a million years if I could get 0%. The 36 month “rule” made sense when interest rates were 7% on that term. Low rates are one of the things that drove vehicle prices up, just like what happened in the housing market. It also seems like vehicles lose value slower today than they did 10, 20 years ago. I say “seems” because I haven’t seen any real data on this.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:09 PM
davew593
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would respectfully disagree with the being upside down on the loan part. My trade was paid for and worth $29,000 on a $65,000 purchase. I took out a 72 month note,( first time ever usually only 36-48) just to have a lower payment. I too will be switching over to my credit union and making double payments when I can. Just because people take out long term loans doesn't mean they aren't putting some serious money down, I hope. I know there is some serious depreciation on vehicles however I hope my '17 350 psd is worth more than $36,000.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:19 PM
ytechie
Mountain Pass
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
I never understand why people care about being upside down. That only matters when you sell/trade it.

Stop connecting the truck and the loan. I have a couple of loans, and I have assets. I only keep loans that are lower than the return I can get on my money.

The richest company in the world keeps a ton of debt, even though they have truckloads of cash.

I”m actually going to sell my current house and move to a cheaper area. I’ll have enough cash to pay off everything and pay cash for a new house, but that doesn’t make financial sense for me.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:35 PM
Blwnsmoke
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I financed mine for 75 months at 1.74%. I was upside for 9 months as 92% of my payment went towards principle from day 1. Now I know you said 84 months but the interest rate really what determines how upside down you will be.

Four years later and I could sell my truck for $30k more then what I owe.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:53 PM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by davew593
I would respectfully disagree with the being upside down on the loan part. My trade was paid for and worth $29,000 on a $65,000 purchase. I took out a 72 month note,( first time ever usually only 36-48) just to have a lower payment. I too will be switching over to my credit union and making double payments when I can. Just because people take out long term loans doesn't mean they aren't putting some serious money down, I hope. I know there is some serious depreciation on vehicles however I hope my '17 350 psd is worth more than $36,000.
Its all roses now, but 2008-10 was an eye opening experience for me to watch from a distance. For some folks, high fuel prices and a retracting economy can make any vehicle value, regardless of how good we think it is, fall like crazy. Large down payments or huge trade in values are an exception to my statement.

I'm sure folks who bought houses in Vegas during 2004-2006 had similar thoughts when they made purchases. I'm not saying the economy will collapse tomorrow, but for me, I only make purchases I know I can easily back out of or walk away from with no financial hardship. I won't be signing any 84 month car loans unless it truly is 0-1% and I'm not trading any rebates for the lower interest rate.

Quick Reply: 84 month Financing,Crazy?