Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 07:24 PM
Focii
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idle Air Ccontrol question/issue

2000 F250 5.4l
Symptoms
I have a moan/whine coming from the engine compartment. I have checked torque converter, alternator, steering pump, and all pulley on front of block. The moan goes away when under acceleration. It is there in P,N,D ect. I have also noticed some hanging during deceleration like the engine does not want to return to idle. I started looking at the air intake system and the possibility of a bad or dirty air intake control valve. I found when I pinch off the hose going from the cold air intake to the IAC the moan stops instantly. It does come back after acceleration.

Question:
Do you think I have a dirty or bad IAC or could the issue be too much air coming from the cold air intake? I have read about issues with missing seals in the air cleaner housing causing problems similar. Just trying to sort out before I eat the cost on a new IAC.
Thanks!!!!!

Old 05-06-2018, 08:33 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 873 Likes on 725 Posts
It *might* be an issue with the IAC valve itself or with the associated plumbing to it.

I remember quite a few years back with my first 2.5L Contour and it's annoying habit of either "moaning" or "moosing" at idle. I replaced the IAC valve once and it went from mild to severe. On that particular system, the final cure was to insert a restriction in the air supply line to the IAC valve. The restriction was a 1/2" copper tubing cap from Home Depot with a hole drilled in it and the cap was placed in the supply line. Hole diameter was determined experimentally. I don't know if the hoses on your particular engine would be conducive to this remedy or not, but it's something to consider.

Old 05-06-2018, 09:43 AM
Focii
New User
Thanks for the reply projectSHO89

Old 05-06-2018, 11:05 AM
Focii
New User
Solved kind of

Originally Posted by projectSHO89
It *might* be an issue with the IAC valve itself or with the associated plumbing to it.

I remember quite a few years back with my first 2.5L Contour and it's annoying habit of either "moaning" or "moosing" at idle. I replaced the IAC valve once and it went from mild to severe. On that particular system, the final cure was to insert a restriction in the air supply line to the IAC valve. The restriction was a 1/2" copper tubing cap from Home Depot with a hole drilled in it and the cap was placed in the supply line. Hole diameter was determined experimentally. I don't know if the hoses on your particular engine would be conducive to this remedy or not, but it's something to consider.
I did some more digging and the hose that comes from the cold air intake and runs to the IAC has what looks like a check valve in it some are calling it a resonator. Supposedly if that is bad it can cause the moan i'm hearing. Cant find it is available by part number anymore and it has been debated weather its even necessary. Supposedly a known issue on older crown vic's. in any case I took your suggestion to restrict the airflow in that hose (temporary fix with a hose clamp) and it solved the moan. Will have to see how it effects the idle. I may try a bypass using heater hose and see how that works. Thanks again for the idea,

Old 05-06-2018, 12:36 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 873 Likes on 725 Posts
It will be interesting to see how this works out. Keep us posted.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:33 PM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by projectSHO89

I also had a Contour V6 with a moosing problem. Can’t remember how I fixed it though.