Factory Fix for weak radiators - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Factory Fix for weak radiators

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 05-04-2018, 08:08 PM
Superdave71
Senior User
Superdave71 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

I had seen mention that recent factory replacement radiators omitted a bolt. I hadnít seen which bolt it was that has been omitted, so I thought I would identify it for all who wished to remove it in the hope of prolonging the life of their high temp radiator. Another interesting note is that later 2016ís has this bolt omitted from the factory. My truck was built 12/2015 (MY 2016) and it doesnít have the bolt.

The bolt in question fastens the low temp radiator to the high temp radiator, and is located in the upper corner of the drivers side, see the photo below.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:04 PM
Khena
Junior User
Khena is starting off with a positive reputation.
Could you take a zoomed out picture and point with an arrow? Iím assuming the picture you have is of the low temp radiator?

Old 05-05-2018, 05:29 AM
Deuce40s
Elder User
Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.
I just checked mine, November '15 build, and the bolt is missing. However, I noticed remnants of a coolant leak from somewhere. I guess it's going to be a hose, it's past the radiator. The massive coolant hose at the bottom center has dried coolant on the bottom.

Old 05-05-2018, 05:43 AM
Superdave71
Senior User
Hereís another picture from another truck that was taken with the grill removed. As I took the first picture I removed the 4 - 10mm bolts along the top of the grill assembly so I could pull it back. There is a piece of thin rubber sheet the was covering the bolt on my truck.

Old 05-05-2018, 03:51 PM
Khena
Junior User

I am assuming this is it?

Old 05-05-2018, 06:28 PM
Superdave71
Senior User
Yup, thatís it!

Old 05-05-2018, 07:39 PM
Khena
Junior User
Thank you!

I pulled the bolt, but couldnít get the clip out. Hoping itís ok to leave clipped on the main radiator.

Old 05-05-2018, 07:44 PM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
that is not going to prevent the real issue...which is the seams where the plastic meet the alum.

cheap design.

Old 05-05-2018, 09:37 PM
willydmax
Senior User
willydmax is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'm also doubtful that is a real fix. I have a customer with a 2016 that needs a radiator as it's leaking in the same spot the always do. It started around 65k

Old 05-05-2018, 10:44 PM
my_crib_too
Posting Guru
my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.
2015, 54,000 miles, ESP and dealership replaced my radiator this week.

Bruce

Old 05-06-2018, 05:40 AM
djousma
Posting Guru
djousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to behold
I agree weak design, but I thought the consensus was that the radiators flexing from frame torque was the culprit? Removing this bolt, if it relieves the radiator flexing could help.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:43 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
No, not the issue, This is a cheap design and is "good enough". Has been an issue since 2008.

BTW, My 2008 6.4 never had a failure in the 86K miles I owned it. Towed heavy cross country in 100+ temps.

My 2013 does the same without issue. It just is what it is.

Old 05-06-2018, 11:54 AM
m-chan68
Postmaster
m-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputation
If it helps, I just replaced a radiator on a customer's 2016 truck last week that had that bolt missing. That particular truck was a later build than my 2016 too. I also needed to source the replacement from an aftermarket vendor too, since it appears radiators from Ford are sitting at a national back order for about 3000 units at present, with no current ETA as to when they will be available.

After completing the repair, I immediately went to look under my 2016 truck. Thank God it's not leaking...... YET.

Old 05-06-2018, 12:48 PM
Nipperdog
Elder User
Nipperdog is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Perhaps that bolt was deliberately Omitted by the Factory because it Caused the Radiator to Leak.

Old 05-06-2018, 12:58 PM
No.15
Junior User
No.15 is starting off with a positive reputation.
My 2013 went 80k+ miles with no leaks. It was 99% on pavement and I wonder if that helps. Are the people with leaks doing more off-road stuff causing more stress on the radiator? I wish Ford would just fix this for real.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Factory Fix for weak radiators

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: