2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 04:58 PM
Z20rider
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil?

Motor raft 15w40 ok for 6.7 in Texas?

Old 05-03-2018, 05:39 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
yes, it is just fine

Old 05-03-2018, 07:50 PM
CBEllis
Laughing Gas
Received 80 Likes on 44 Posts

This is what I use and the truck loves it. Winter’s aren’t too harsh but it should hold up to the TX heat nicely.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:01 PM
DeputyDiesel
Tuned
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
I second the Valvoline premium blue extreme. Made my truck quiter even.

Old 05-04-2018, 02:14 PM
roadpilot
Laughing Gas
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
PBE 5W40 here, too.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:29 AM
dnewton3
Elder User
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...SSM2C171F1.pdf

Anything on this list will be fine; all meet Ford's current spec. You can use a syn, but it's not going to give you any more protection in terms of wear control on cleanliness; if it makes you feel better, then by gosh go for it. Same goes for the vis; use what you want off this list; they are all approved. What Ford "recommends" and what is "required" for warranty are two separate things. They may "recommend" a 5w-40 syn, but the only "requirement" to satisfy the warranty is a lube that meets the spec; as shown above in that LONG list. If Ford had separate specs for conventionals and syns, or different viscosities, then used those specs separately for extreme duty service, they could deny warranty based on certain lube choices. But ... they don't do that. ALL THOSE LISTED LUBES ARE APPROVED FOR ALL USES. Don't worry about what your buddy thinks. Read the manual and read the Magnuson/Moss warranty act. As long as the lube meets Ford's spec and is approved, they cannot deny warranty claims based on supposition should a lube be the core of a failure. Ford had ONE SPEC for all diesel grades and base stocks; hence any lube licensed to that spec is approved for warranty.

Taken from this site: https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...Motor%20Oil%5D

Old 05-06-2018, 12:34 PM
No.15
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you use ck oil make sure it's on the list dnewton linked to. If it's cj rated you can use any manufacturer. Most hdeo are ck now so be aware when you buy.

Old 05-06-2018, 02:08 PM
CBEllis
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by dnewton3
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...SSM2C171F1.pdf

Anything on this list will be fine; all meet Ford's current spec. You can use a syn, but it's not going to give you any more protection in terms of wear control on cleanliness; if it makes you feel better, then by gosh go for it. Same goes for the vis; use what you want off this list; they are all approved. What Ford "recommends" and what is "required" for warranty are two separate things. They may "recommend" a 5w-40 syn, but the only "requirement" to satisfy the warranty is a lube that meets the spec; as shown above in that LONG list. If Ford had separate specs for conventionals and syns, or different viscosities, then used those specs separately for extreme duty service, they could deny warranty based on certain lube choices. But ... they don't do that. ALL THOSE LISTED LUBES ARE APPROVED FOR ALL USES. Don't worry about what your buddy thinks. Read the manual and read the Magnuson/Moss warranty act. As long as the lube meets Ford's spec and is approved, they cannot deny warranty claims based on supposition should a lube be the core of a failure. Ford had ONE SPEC for all diesel grades and base stocks; hence any lube licensed to that spec is approved for warranty.

Taken from this site: https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...Motor%20Oil%5D
I place my trust in a father-in-law that retired from oil & gas refining and worked alongside diesel mechanics for 30+ years.

Old 05-06-2018, 03:08 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by CBEllis

I place my trust in a father-in-law that retired from oil & gas refining and worked alongside diesel mechanics for 30+ years.
Doesn't guarantee that Ford trusts him.

Old 05-06-2018, 03:42 PM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by CBEllis
And in the 1930s everyone thought that drinking whiskey and smoking cigarettes were good for their health.

Motor oil in 2018 is not the same as motor oil in 1988.

There is an interesting statement in "National Oil & Gas News", an industrial newsletter, about the new gas motor SN+ certification:

Preliminary data shows that additives affect oil performance much more than base stock selection or other factors. This should allow for generous base oil interchange and the deployment of the new category in the base stocks that oil marketers need covered. As of press time, the best estimates for first licensing date of SN+ are May 1, 2018. At that time, you can expect to see announcements from all major oil marketers about SN+.
https://noln.net/2018/04/01/on-the-c...gf-6-and-more/

So the argument of paying more for syn over dino just got weaker.

But as others (including myself) have said, if buying the most expensive oil on the shelf lets you sleep better at night, then that is what you should buy.

Old 05-06-2018, 05:14 PM
CBEllis
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 69cj
Doesn't guarantee that Ford trusts him.
Knock on wood, neither have yet to fail me.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:28 PM
No.15
Senior User
Originally Posted by jschira
And in the 1930s everyone thought that drinking whiskey and smoking cigarettes were good for their health.

Motor oil in 2018 is not the same as motor oil in 1988.

There is an interesting statement in "National Oil & Gas News", an industrial newsletter, about the new gas motor SN+ certification:

https://noln.net/2018/04/01/on-the-c...gf-6-and-more/

So the argument of paying more for syn over dino just got weaker.

But as others (including myself) have said, if buying the most expensive oil on the shelf lets you sleep better at night, then that is what you should buy.
I think there is very little difference in the protection of dino and most syns on the market right now. Especially at oil changes 10k and under but even then it's probably moot. With the oil chemistry we have now oil is performing better and lubrication related failures are rare. Lubrication systems may fail but unless the oil is totally abused it is up to the task in any flavor.

Old 05-06-2018, 08:10 PM
USSenator
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you live in MN, and it gets to be -20, you will definitely want a synthetic oil...

Old 05-06-2018, 08:54 PM
No.15
Senior User
Originally Posted by USSenator
If you live in MN, and it gets to be -20, you will definitely want a synthetic oil...
yeah, I get that. I tend to forget about cold starts, being as I live in Florida . Good point .

Old 05-06-2018, 09:25 PM
BillyE
Fleet Mechanic
Received 202 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by jschira
So the argument of paying more for syn over dino just got weaker
Sortof. I get what you’re saying but additives in your common dino oil are not the same as additives in the better synthetics. Plus, some synthetics require little to no VI improvers, while dino base stocks still rely on those to meet the multi grade viscosity.

Quick Reply: Oil?